Amazon Echo, Google Home...

Does anyone have an Echo or the newer Google Home? Or any other similar device? What are your thoughts, reviews, recommendations? The Echo is on sale this week but I thought I'd ask for any reviews before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    I've heard nothing but raving reviews. QVC might be a better deal.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Ok Google..see internet and gadgets thread that makes you lazy.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited December 2017
    I got an Echo for xmas..very cool actually..for 5 bucks a month you can get the unlimited music service. I have been wearing it out..first PJ song request was "outta my mind"...played it..the not for you b side version..name an album or song and it finds it..only been a couple it cant find..link it to your Pandora account..or any music on your phone..many other features as well..
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I don't have one but have only heard good things. I talked to someone when really went for it, and got all the extras you can buy, like compatible Bluetooth light bulbs and stuff so you control all the lights with your voice via the echo. Welcome to the future, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • They are fun, but I wouldn't buy one. I feel like they are just collecting data in order to train AI to replace us. (Half joking)

It is fun to set my friend's alarms for 3 am when they aren't in the room or ask it how to join ISIS while it's attached to their Google account. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    I got an Echo this year from my wife. She also got one from her brother. We got the light bulbs too. I'm lazy, but haven't set anything up yet though :lol: Looking forward to trying them out.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    They are fun, but I wouldn't buy one. I feel like they are just collecting data in order to train AI to replace us. (Half joking)

It is fun to set my friend's alarms for 3 am when they aren't in the room or ask it how to join ISIS while it's attached to their Google account. 
    Thats wrong..and funny as hell
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,761
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    no thanks
    www.myspace.com
  • I got one as a gift @ work and I love it.  Want to plug it into a real speaker so I can crank but the endless jukebox is pretty amazing, especially while cooking.  (it is in the kitchen)
    Also, some cool skills to activate.
    The boys love it the most, though and the three year old calls out 'ALEXA!' with such joy that she doesnt even recognize what he is saying after...he just thinks it is the coolest thing ever.  (And his favorite command?  Alexa!  Please play Roll Call)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • They are fun, but I wouldn't buy one. I feel like they are just collecting data in order to train AI to replace us. (Half joking)

Holy shit, I am so doing this the next time I go to someone's house who has this.  :rofl:

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    They are fun, but I wouldn't buy one. I feel like they are just collecting data in order to train AI to replace us. (Half joking)

Holy shit, I am so doing this the next time I go to someone's house who has this.  :rofl:

I think thers a way to change the name from Alexa, to another name of your  choosing? And, is ther a way for it to ONLY recognize one voice?
  • I think you can change...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited January 2018
    Yes, there are security measures you can take with these so that not anyone can come along and make it do things, lol, and yes, you can change the command word. It doesn't have to be Alexa.... Apparently they ran into problems when people who bought the echo were named Alexa or something close to it. :lol: When someone was talking to the real person the Echo would try to respond, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Hobbes said:
    HAHA>My friend was telling me about this video. 

Googoo>LOL