Options

Has instant Internet access made us lazier, and more dumbed down, or wiser and better off?

2»

Comments

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Taking it for granted and just accepting whatever is on there as gospel sure has. It's a big pet peeve of mine when trolls, mostly political, want proof of things when they have Google at their finger tips.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

hedonist said:

chadwick said:

if a person goes out of their way to use a dictionary & pay little to no attention to spell check, things wake up out of their slumber & a warm sunbeam starts to caress one's shoulders & face. just my $0.13 worth

I thought it was 2 cents worth. What happened? Inflation?
    Because it's worth more than two cents! Maybe even more than thirteen.

I may be wrong, but I think sir wick was talking about not relying on spellcheck or auto-corrects, and to remember how words are supposed to be spelled before the butchering of our language.

Just a shot in the dark :i_dunno:
    I agree. Although, without it, we wouldn't have Tree's priceless posts and texts. :smiley:
    Yeah.. today I sent a text telling a friend..:
    Lord willing we will all see each other next eeek..

Ah autocorrect..
  • Options
    ^^ actually that typo was just me.. missed the 'w' and doubled down in 'e's'... lol
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    no ... the internet has just exposed what was already a reality ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

no ... the internet has just exposed what was already a reality ...

Best answer yet.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    made us wiser because of information library it supplies
    less lonely
    but has made us lazy or unsociable if not rude
    i think its good and bad
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited November 2016
    I know I am WAY better informed about everything than I was before the Internet. Like, astronomically so. Before Internet I just accepted ignorance about a huge number of things because there wasn't really another option. Now there is no reason for that kind of ignorance. Any question I have about anything can be instantly researched and answered. From the mundane to the absurd to the impactful to the crucial, I have instant access to real information about just about everything from around the world, and I think that is absolutely amazing... IF one is media literate that is. If one doesn't have a very good grasp of media literacy and how to separate truth from bullshit, then the Internet has the opposite effect, filling their minds with falsehoods and bullshit. So the Internet is both wonderful and awful.
    As far assuming laziness goes... I dunno. I suppose it certainly keeps people planted in a chair a lot more often.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I wish the generation of today would know of and how to use the dewey decimal system w/ out having to google what it is or how to use it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640

I wish the generation of today would know of and how to use the dewey decimal system w/ out having to google what it is or how to use it.

Why? If it's become basically irrelevant, why do you think they should know about it? (Not that anyone can't figure it out in about 10 seconds. It's not like it's complicated. That's the whole point).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why? If it's become basically irrelevant, why do you think they should know about it? (Not that anyone can't figure it out in about 10 seconds. It's not like it's complicated. That's the whole point).
    Please explain in 10 seconds of your typing to the rest of us how it works.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

PJ_Soul said:

Please explain in 10 seconds of your typing to the rest of us how it works.
    Why? Books certainly have their place and for serious research they are still the best source, but is DDS necessary?
    No. DDS is not. Books can easily be grouped into categories without it and the internet makes finding the specific book within a category that you need much more efficient.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?