they drank it
it was done!
Hitler blamed the Jews
people were rounded up, beaten, killed, shipped off
thrown away like trash
people were afraid
they closed the curtains at night
afraid of being next
(there were silent people hoping it would be okay somehow)
we learned all this in history classes
now tell me,
HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM WHERE WE WILL BE SOON?!!!!!!
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by justam on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sorry, but as much as I despise Trump, he is not Hitler, not close. Different times, different checks and balances, different country.

Every time I read or hear this comparison it gets to me, and I find - for me, anyway, that it insults the memory and spirit of those - my family included - horrifically rounded up and tortured and killed or just fucking died on a flimsy cot alone many years ago. Trump is like Hitler? pfffft.

Pretty sure he will not be arranging for concentration camps and pulling of people's teeth to retain the gold and gas showers and new little Mengele's. Yes he is fucked up in ways and potentially dangerous in ways but, well...go back to my first comment.

We shall not BE THERE SOON. Shit comes in different strains. He's watery.

And I am not afraid.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    edited November 2016
    He has talked about deporting Mexicans. He has talked about making Muslim Americans carry special Identification cards. That doesn't hit you as similar?

In the more general sense, he is trying to solve the economic hurt that many people are feeling by blaming another group of people. That is similar.

He is whipping people up with his irrational speeches. That is similar.

You can say he's a weaker person and I'd agree with you but I think he still has the potential to do a lot of damage.

I think it's better to have our eyes open and be ready to fight rather than be dismissive of the similarities.

I think right now you are falling into the curtains closed category.
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    edited November 2016
    I like coming on here and reading the poetry, etc.. Some really cool and beautiful stuff at times. But this? Absolutely horrific. As a man who serves in the Military, I find it absolutely astonishing and sad you would compare our service to what Hitlers did. Unreal.....
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    justam said:

He has talked about deporting Mexicans. He has talked about making Muslim Americans carry special Identification cards. That doesn't hit you as similar?

In the more general sense, he is trying to solve the economic hurt that many people are feeling by blaming another group of people. That is similar.

He is whipping people up with his irrational speeches. That is similar.

You can say he's a weaker person and I'd agree with you but I think he still has the potential to do a lot of damage.

I think it's better to have our eyes open and be ready to fight rather than be dismissive of the similarities.

I think right now you are falling into the curtains closed category.

I get where you were coming from, I just totally disagree. My eyes (and mind) are open.

Attaway, thank you for your good service and spirit.
  • Options
    Attaway77 said:

I like coming on here and reading the poetry, etc.. Some really cool and beautiful stuff at times. But this? Absolutely horrific. As a man who serves in the Military, I find it absolutely astonishing and sad you would compare our service to what Hitlers did. Unreal.....

Attaway, I was not writing about our military. I was trying to get people to remember the old films of Hitler. This was a historical reference!

Your response did give me a thought though. The thought was a good one: our military men would not go along with a leader the way those men in the past did. Thank you for pointing that out and reminding me of that!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hedonist, I guess I'm just surprised that you can brush all the racist talk under the carpet like this. Maybe it's more personal to me because one set of grand parents were Mexican immigrants. They became citizens.

I guess I don't like all the hate directed towards Mexicans and Muslims.

I'm surprised it doesn't bother you. You've always seemed like a caring person!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam said:

Hedonist, I guess I'm just surprised that you can brush all the racist talk under the carpet like this. Maybe it's more personal to me because one set of grand parents were Mexican immigrants. They became citizens.

I guess I don't like all the hate directed towards Mexicans and Muslims.

I'm surprised it doesn't bother you. You've always seemed like a caring person!

I appreciate your words, justam, and I'm not blind to the potential harm Trump can cause. I just find Hitler to be another (worse) form altogether. I guess we all feel this shitstorm in different ways given our own histories and the personal feelings tied to them.

For what it's worth, my German dad became a citizen and proud member of the US Army in the early '40s, in exchange for fighting in Europe against those who killed almost all of his family. I do get it.