Arrival-Movie

Anyone else going to see Arrival this week? The initial reviews and write ups so far have been phenomenal. I've been waiting on this since the beginning of summer.

Comments

• InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    100 on Rotten Tomatoes with 50 something reviews. Damn. :open_mouth:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I can't wait to see it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This does look good and it doesnt hurt that Amy Adams is in it. :blush:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Have friends in town this weekend, so we're going to check it out on Monday
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I hope with these reviews that it's the movie that the disappointing and overrated Interstellar should have been.

Plus, the director's other movies, Sicario and Prisoners, were great.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

I hope with these reviews that it's the movie that the disappointing and overrated Interstellar should have been.

Sicario was definitely one of my favorite movies of last year. He did a fantastic job on that. And if this one pans out as good as it's looking so far, he could be the next big name in directing.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,761
    i'm gonna see it soon not sure when (hopefully this weekend). They had a screening around here the other day. one of my friends saw it. not sure what he thought of it yet.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

Oh wow, I think Interstellar was absolutely phenomenal. I've watched it three times and will likely watch it more times. I don't think it was overrated at all. If Arrival is as good as Interstellar I will be extremely happy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Just went to see it and I'm afraid I thought it was rubbish!
  • Nope
    This will only take a while
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh wow, I think Interstellar was absolutely phenomenal. I've watched it three times and will likely watch it more times. I don't think it was overrated at all. If Arrival is as good as Interstellar I will be extremely happy.
    It was just ok until the last 30-40 minutes where it really went downhill. Good thing I saw it on Epix instead of paying in theaters.
  • Just went to see it and I'm afraid I thought it was rubbish!

lost in translation maybe?
    i thought it was great/amazing
    I thought it was great as well. That's the second movie in a row this director has knocked out of the park. The first being Sicario from last year. He even used the same cinematographer and score writer.
  • Just not to my taste I guess

Just not to my taste I guess

Nothing wrong with that!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this movie is fantastic ... but it's not going to appeal to a lot of people ...

it's slow place is gonna tune some people out ... i loved the pace of it and it's slow build as well as the larger subthemes of geo-political collaboration and ultimate need to humanity to communicate in a meaningful way ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've never walked out of a movie with the audience so befuddled. Everyone was silent ... and then small conversation started to happen and pull together the meaning of the movie. Theories discussed and then BAM! Holy shit. Communication ...

Still wished we got to see a death ray ...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    thought it was great
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Oh man, I finally went to see it this past Sunday, one of my favorite films in a very, very long time. It had some awesome, trippy sci-fi stuff but it also had deeper questions about humanity and communication.

I often find myself torn becuase I'm a fan of fun, nerdy action films like the Marvel movies, but I also love quality, intelligent cinema. Most of my absolute favorite movies of all time are somewhat of a combination of the 2 (2001: A Space Oddessy, Alien, Jaws, A Clockwork Orange), and this film is such a perfect example of that combination.

It sounds crazy to say, but I've had almost a week to reflect on it and I really think this is my favorite movie since Pulp Fiction, and probably my 7th or 8th favorite movie of all time.