Poster preservation?

So at MSG it dawned upon me that the poster tubes are pretty sturdy. While at MSG, I loaded a poster, two shirts and a sticker into the tube, sealed it and was walking by a UPS store. Decided to see how much it would be to ship home. So for $9, shipped the merch home and dont have to worry about lugging it around all night. Mistake or a good idea?

Comments

• So at MSG it dawned upon me that the poster tubes are pretty sturdy. While at MSG, I loaded a poster, two shirts and a sticker into the tube, sealed it and was walking by a UPS store. Decided to see how much it would be to ship home. So for $9, shipped the merch home and dont have to worry about lugging it around all night. Mistake or a good idea?

PJ did that at PJ20 for posters. Helped big time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • People ship posters in tubes all the time. As long as the poster and shirt don't interfere with each other in a negative way, you should be fine!
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
    I do a lot with old posters, and I always roll them tight and put them in a plastic sleeve before putting in the tube, that way it is super easy to remove without ruining the edges. I also put plastic bags of paper towels in the ends of the tube to prevent the poster from bouncing around, and so if had soft ends.

That's usually the way I do it, but some old posters are a lot more fragile
  • riley540 said:

I do a lot with old posters, and I always roll them tight and put them in a plastic sleeve before putting in the tube, that way it is super easy to remove without ruining the edges. I also put plastic bags of paper towels in the ends of the tube to prevent the poster from bouncing around, and so if had soft ends.

I cringed watching people roll their posters into tight 1" rolls in order to get them into these plastic sleeves.
    I'm sure they'll be fine if you're not a serious collectot but in general the less bending (larger diameter) the better. Rolling to a smaller diameter makes it much harder to flatten and you risk never being able to get the wave out of the paper.
    If bringing your own tube, best to bring Kraft paper as well so you'll be able to remove the poster easily.
  • It's just a TOTD poster anyway......
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • I had a poster tube that arrived crushed. My friend bought me Fenway posters, and they arrived damaged. Make sure you get insurance!
    8/25/98 Pittsburgh
    9/5/00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh
    9/26/15 Global Citizen Festival - New York
    4/28/16 Philadelphia
    4/7/17 Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    9/2/18 Boston 1
    9/5/18 Boston 2
    9/6/22 Hamilton
    9/8/22 Toronto
    9/11/22 New York
    9/5/23 Chicago
    9/7/23 Chicago
    9/18/23 Austin
    9/19/23 Austin
    8/22/24 Missoula
    9/4/24 New York
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

I had a poster tube that arrived crushed. My friend bought me Fenway posters, and they arrived damaged. Make sure you get insurance!

If it's a poster that's valuable, get PVC pipe and two end caps from Home Depot or Lowes. Little more money to ship, but won't get crushed.
  • riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
    nicky-p38 said:

riley540 said:

I cringed watching people roll their posters into tight 1" rolls in order to get them into these plastic sleeves.
    I'm sure they'll be fine if you're not a serious collectot but in general the less bending (larger diameter) the better. Rolling to a smaller diameter makes it much harder to flatten and you risk never being able to get the wave out of the paper.
    If bringing your own tube, best to bring Kraft paper as well so you'll be able to remove the poster easily.
    The poster most people use now is super sturdy and can't be rolled as tight. Posters from the 70s and before are on much thinner paper, and if you don't roll them tight, the edges will get damaged removing it from the tube. I've had even a few PJ posters get edge damage removing it from the tube. So I always roll it smaller than the diameter of the shipping tube.

• The longer, skinnier posters (like totd philly and msg) are harder to roll tight enough to get them in the tube especially if you are rolling 2 together. I can't wait to get home and set them free.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • Hopefully you taped the end caps on the tubes and didn't damage the poster when you shoved the t-shirt into the tube
  • Rolled the poster so it only took up less that half the tube. Rolled the shirts tight and put one on each side of the tube to further protect the poster in the middle. The benefits of a venue in a major US city is a shipping option every city block! This UPS Store was a block away from MSG thankfully and less than $10 to ship despite the irregular size. MSG was selling tubes for $2 each but UPS store had tubes for sale as.well. Just something to ponder down the line as you plot out your PJ shows. In addition to bars and eats near the venue, a shipping option as well!!!
  • Sure as shit wish I did this for Philly show. Went out drinking after the show, got a bit clumsy, got home and unrolled 2 wrinkled posters
  • nicky-p38 said:

riley540 said:

Definitely the case for the plastic sleeves they had at Philly show Friday. Those sleeves were so small it felt like sex ed all over again when I was trying to put the sleeve on my poster.
  • Sure as shit wish I did this for Philly show. Went out drinking after the show, got a bit clumsy, got home and unrolled 2 wrinkled posters

I was so paranoid this would happen haha. I rolled my posters in their own sleeves, then rolled them in my like a burrito in my bag. My friends thought I was insane, but mine are mint and theirs are wrinkled.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • And bam...less than 12 hours later posters and show merch arrive at my office in pristine condition...

I was so paranoid this would happen haha. I rolled my posters in their own sleeves, then rolled them in my like a burrito in my bag. My friends thought I was insane, but mine are mint and theirs are wrinkled.
    Yea. I saw someone straight up just fold a poster in half and stuck it in a plastic bag at the MSG show.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

Sure as shit wish I did this for Philly show. Went out drinking after the show, got a bit clumsy, got home and unrolled 2 wrinkled posters

Yea. I saw someone straight up just fold a poster in half and stuck it in a plastic bag at the MSG show.
    :grimacing:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1