*** TOTD Philadelphia, PA Fanviews Here 11/4/16 ***

Comments

• The intimacy of the venue was incredible..... getting to see McCready & Gossard in a place that small was a first for me and better than I hoped for. It was brutal trying to navigate the bar area or get to & from the men's room, but seeing them in a theater so small was worth those hassles.

I had a few more thoughts now that I've had some time to process last night:

1) I loved the minimalist stage & light show..... no big stacks, just an amp & preamp for each musician. Yeah, they had those jellyfish lights & the statue of Andy for two songs, but that was it for props, and they had nothing for a light show beyond some rotating and / or colored lights. It was just five guys playing awesome awesome music.

I thought it was particularly beautiful when during Say Hello to Heaven, there was only one single spotlight from the top left rear of the stage shining over the guys' shoulders as they played. As I was taking that in, I had a great feeling that the night would live up to expectations & it exceeded them.

2) minor point: no Boom....... I was expecting him (as were many others) based on the picture of the gear being shipped. It's all good, I didn't think any of the tunes were lacking due to missing their piano parts. Times of Trouble was particularly amazing despite no keys, but I think only having those five guys on stage added to the intimacy of the evening which brings me to my next point.

3) I'm glad Eddie didn't show.
    Yes, Hunger Strike would have been epic, and the way it should be played, but he isn't really in TOTD beyond that one song. Those 5 guys put that album together & deserve the chance to get out on stage with the material & see what happens. Eddie's presence probably would have hindered or over shadowed that.

Im still in awe over what I witnessed last night and am jealous of anyone going tonight or to another show.
    They have one hell of an evening in store for them.
  • ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829

imageimage

Great poster!
    Was there any hassle with getting one and is it venue specific?
    Thanks. :)
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    Poster is venue specific. Going to guess artist specific as well. I'm sure we'll see on Monday. Same poster for Philly II as last night.

Beyond that, it was an amazing night. Much better than I could have hoped for. Looking forward to seeing what happens tonight!
  • kalusskaluss Posts: 38
    The energy was off the charts in that small venue. I agree with whoever said there is room to grow. It was a spectacular night...25 years in the making. Raw and hard...we knew Eddie wasn't showing early when we were asked to sing his part in Hunger Strike...
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited November 2016
    Do we have a relayer for today's show? I can't see a thread set up yet.
    e.t.a. & any scopers?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    Are they on yet?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    Nope.
    Travelar said:

Nope.

Thanks. Is there a scoper yet?
    <hr>
    Not aware of one. Intro music.
    <hr>
    <hr>
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    can't wait till Monday night in NYC!
  • I'm having a hard time processing the fact that I missed River of Deceit by only one night..... that was kind of heartbreaking.

Friday was awesome & I wouldn't trade anything for it, but that was a tough pill to swallow.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    marcos said:

can't wait till Monday night in NYC!

:smiley:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • What a trip. Thanks to the amazing generosity of a board member I was able to find a single for this show. Drove from Toronto Friday morning and got to Upper Darby around 3pm. Upper Darby is...Interesting. Within being there for 10 minutes we witnessed a knife fight and a bunch of Cops at the Wendy's restaurant. You can tell the area that the theatre is in is in the process of a revitalization. A lot of the building's facades are redone and looking fresh. Hopefully it works out. I'm sure that area has a lot of potential. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and helpful so that was nice for out of towners like ourselves.

The venue was really cool. Even smaller than I had imagined. Exactly where you'd want to see the band's first show ever. It was intimate and had a great feel to it. Sight lines were great. On a seating chart, my seat looked as though it would be pretty bad. It was actually excellent. so that was a pleasant surprise.

The band sounded tight together. the song choice was excellent and the way the setlist was curated, it felt like they were telling a story almost. I think there were two covers I didn't recognize. I didn't care for them much but you cant please everyone when your crowd is as diverse as this one. It was unfortunate Chris' microphone cut out quite a bit during Stardog. I was looking back at the FOH soundboard once it started going south and it looked like no one was doing anything about it. It corrected itself (thankfully) but it took a while.

As amazing as the show was, my most memorable moment of the evening unfortunately goes to the woman who thought it would be a good idea to try and dance on a folding chair for All Night Thing. After about 6 seconds it folded (as folding chairs do), she fell and ate it real hard. Bent like a pretzel. It was hard to watch from down the row. She got up and tried to play it as cool as you can but after the attention shifted back to the band I could see her feeling her collar bone, jaw, working her neck, and just being visibly in pain. once the song/show finished I approached her and asked her several times if she was okay, dizzy at all. She said she was fine so I didn't want to keep pressing her about it.

Oh, and one more thing...If you were in the first 5 rows on mike side and you were lucky enough to catch a few of those 200 picks he threw, DM me if you have any you'd be willing to trade or sell. :) Thank you.
    Settings > Signature Settings > Hide Signatures Always
  • lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    I'm still piecing my head back together after that show on Friday!! The roof just about blew off the Tower... small venue, raw power, the anticipation of both the crowd and the band... Wow!! Personally, I'm glad I only went to Friday's show. I want to keep my memories of the surprise set in tact rather than have them tainted by the repeat setlist. No hate for the repeats though... After a 25 year hiatus, they definitely have room to grow!!

My favorite part - I lost my shit when they started in on Achilles Last Stand, but my brain and heart exploded with Fascination Street!! Both Zeppelin and The Cure are in my top 7 bands!

Weirdest part - ANDY WOODen Jesus! :lol:
  • Not much to say that hasn't already been said. I'm a bit sad I missed River of Deceit by one day but I'm not complaining by any means. I was happy to witness my brother have an epiphany about MM after the show - " You know I was so impressed with Mike McCready. He's very underrated." I've only been telling him that forever. :lol: It was also cool to see lots of PJ and Temple shirts in the Philly airport. I heard a guy a couple of rows behind us on the plane back to Charlotte today explaining the concert to someone. I wanted so bad to join in the conversation!
    I'm through with screaming
  • Also, Upper Darby traffic was no joke. If I ever go back there I will never try to take a left onto 69th street again.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Two awesome nights. Get back to my hotel . I look in the piano bar which had only about 9 people I hung around because one of them was Stevie Wonder . I watched him play 7 of his songs and some Beatle covers. I thought I was dreaming
  • Two awesome nights. Get back to my hotel . I look in the piano bar which had only about 9 people I hung around because one of them was Stevie Wonder . I watched him play 7 of his songs and some Beatle covers. I thought I was dreaming

you won the lottery!

• kosteva2kosteva2 Posts: 284

Two awesome nights. Get back to my hotel . I look in the piano bar which had only about 9 people I hung around because one of them was Stevie Wonder . I watched him play 7 of his songs and some Beatle covers. I thought I was dreaming

Which hotel?
    TFC '97, TFC '98, Pittsburgh '98, Camden I,II '98, Camden I,II '00, Pittsburgh '00, Philly '03, Camden I,II '03, MSG I,II '03, Hershey '03, Reading '04, Philly '05, Camden I,II '06, Meadowlands I '06, Camden I,II '08, DC '08, Spectrum I,II,III,IV '09, Made in America '12, Philly I,II '13, GCF '15, Philly I,II '16, MSG I '16, Apollo ‘22, MSG ‘22, Camden ‘22

Wha?! What hotel?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    hrd2imgn said:

I know Chicago just got Wrigley, but to not have a Temple show in the Midwest is just shit!!!!!!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they toured more later on. They have stated they had no idea what the demand for this tour would be. now that they know, they're going to do more.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835

Two awesome nights. Get back to my hotel . I look in the piano bar which had only about 9 people I hung around because one of them was Stevie Wonder . I watched him play 7 of his songs and some Beatle covers. I thought I was dreaming

Sorry, but for me this would blow away seeing TotD. I'd likely forget i'd have even seen them after I walked in to Stevie playing in that setting--or any setting. Did he play "We Can Work It Out" ? If yes, it's my favorite cover of any Beatles song by anyone ever in the history of time.

I'm not jealous you saw TotD--i'm jealous you saw Stevie Wonder!
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299

Sorry, but for me this would blow away seeing TotD. I'd likely forget i'd have even seen them after I walked in to Stevie playing in that setting--or any setting. Did he play "We Can Work It Out" ? If yes, it's my favorite cover of any Beatles song by anyone ever in the history of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0_vTUnokNU

I seen him twice and Stevie is a wonder.
  • Rittenhouse
    kosteva2 said:

Which hotel?

Wha?! What hotel?
    Rittenhouse

I forget which songs he did. It was like a dream . I was awestruck and memory. was diminished. I have pics , but not sure how to post on the forum . I hit the images icon and my pic file will not come up. He was in Philly for a Clinton fundraiser
  • pjaddictsince91pjaddictsince91 New Jersey Posts: 181
    Stoked for MSG tonight!...What time did they hit the stage in Philly?
    "I'm just feeling so tough with my ukelele...my badass mother f'in ukelele" EV 8/7/08 Newark, NJ

• Bonzozep72Bonzozep72 Langhorne Pa Posts: 67
    When they started Achillies Last Stand I couldn't believe! Zeppelin is my all time favorite band! And they played it to a T! Unbelievable show 11-4-16