Hacksaw Ridge - Best movie of 2016

Just get back from watching the new Mel Gibson film Hacksaw Ridge.
What a masterpiece this is!
It is like Braveheart in a different time (WWII).
Fantastic cast, great editing, fine sense of humour.
But most important, the true story about a great american hero.
Never heard of Desmond Doss before, but his actions and his courage is so inspirational.
It really leaves you breathless watching his legacy on screen.
Standing ovation from the crowd after the movie, and many people with tears in their eyes.
To me, this is the best film of 2016 so far, and the best war movie since Private Ryan.
Now in cinemas.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=s2-1hz1juBI

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I take it you have yet to see Boo! A Madea Halloween yet because that movie is the clear Oscar favorite.
  • Sorry, but I don't understand your comment.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    ^^^I think he's trying to make a joke and it appears the laughter went over your head.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

I take it you have yet to see Boo! A Madea Halloween yet because that movie is the clear Oscar favorite.

Good god I needed this laugh.

OP, for all of the other Mel hoopla in his personal life, the guy has commandeered some remarkable films. Looking forward to seeing this one.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Good to see Gibson slowly making his way back into Hollywood
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Sad thing is Madea is gonna most likely make twice as much money at the box office!
  • Did not get the Madea joke since the Madea movies don't get released here in Europe.

As for Hacksaw Ridge, I am impressed by the movie.
    And more impressed I am with the real story of this brave man, Desmond Doss.
    He shows that faith can have real positive aspects when not misused.
    Although I am an atheist, I was deeply touched by this aspect.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    Love or hate him as a human being, he know his way around a camera. Apocalypto is his underrated masterpiece.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just got back from seeing this.
    Fantastic. Everyone in the theater started clapping at the end of the film. Havent seen that happen in a long time.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Gonna see this one next weekend, heard great things

Cool to see from here praise as well, I'm sure I'll dig it

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am interested in this one, I have seen some critics have absolutely trashed it, and others have praised it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I think, in general, movies about war and love endear themselves to certain audiences easily and quickly.
    There is a huge portion of the population that is easily provoked into sentimentality (not a judgement) by stories of war and love. It's the only explanation for movies/stories like Twilight and Platoon having such massive appeal.

Character developement and acting performance are less effective than having the character profess their love over and over or using flashy special effects in place of actors who emote with skill.
    Neither romance nor war glory particularly appeal to me, so I look forward to watching this one with an objective eye.
  • In these times, with the world going crazy and the US election being a desaster, it is just great to watch the story of a real hero, Desmond Doss.
    Would only more people be like him...
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,672
    Never heard of this movie until I saw this thread. Watched the trailer and looks amazing. Wife and I already planned to go this weekend now to see this. Thanks for sharing
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2

In these times, with the world going crazy and the US election being a desaster, it is just great to watch the story of a real hero, Desmond Doss.
    Would only more people be like him...

I had to look him up, I assumed it was Chris Kyle situation, where the word "hero" is being used quite liberally. Nope.
    Medal of Honor without killing anybody?
    Yeah, that's a real hero.

I will have to watch this one.
  • A good time to watch this movie now after this election.
    At least it shows a real american hero.
  • By the way, is Desond Doss a well known person in the US?
    After what he did, I would think so.
    But I never heard his name before, so I wonder if he might be a forgotten hero.

By the way, is Desond Doss a well known person in the US?
    After what he did, I would think so.
    But I never heard his name before, so I wonder if he might be a forgotten hero.

Hell no! We like our heroes to have blood on their hands.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,087
    edited November 2016
    Hacksaw Ridge felt like Brett Ratner trying to make Saving Private Ryan.

It also felt a lot like a TV-series, in a bad way. And I had high hopes, it being Mel Gibson directing.

Always liked Sam Worthington though, and he looks like Eddie.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I just watch the preview before seeing this thread. Looks excellent. Might take my dad to see it later today if he feels like it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • funk2funkyfunk2funky Posts: 66
    edited November 2016
    Getting some good reviews. I might head out and see it this week if I get bored
    This will only take a while
  • Love or hate him as a human being, he know his way around a camera. Apocalypto is his underrated masterpiece.

Yea, that is an excellent film. Until watching it, I never would have thought I could watch an entire movie without 1 word of English being spoken during it.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,672
    Saw this movie on Saturday with the wife. We really enjoyed it, just an incredible story of courage in my opinion. Cannot believe what he did and not carry a weapon...just wow! I would recommend seeing it and can't wait to see it again when it comes out on video.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,761
    saw this earlier today. Very good war movie. One of the most violent/bloody war scenes i rememebr seeing probably since saving private ryan.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • BLACK35 said:

Saw this movie on Saturday with the wife. We really enjoyed it, just an incredible story of courage in my opinion. Cannot believe what he did and not carry a weapon...just wow! I would recommend seeing it and can't wait to see it again when it comes out on video.

I agree - the things Doss did were just incredible.
    Such an inspiring story, I had tears in my eyes for several moments.
  • saw this earlier today. Very good war movie. One of the most violent/bloody war scenes i rememebr seeing probably since saving private ryan.

Hacksaw Ridge and Private Ryan are two of the best war movies ever imo.
  • I also love both Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge.
    Two standout films from the war genre.

I have watched Hacksaw Ridge 4 times now - a fantastic masterpiece.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited November 2016
    I think this movie is being overrated. Saw it last night. From this thread, I expected it to be amazing. Well, it wasn't. It was just okay overall IMO. Definitely nowhere near as good as Saving Private Ryan. Not even in the same ballpark, and I am surprised they are being compared at all. It's also not nearly as good as the Thin Red Line. It was just fine, with just a bit too much corniness. Yes, the bravery and heroics of the man are touching and impressive. That it is a true story definitely has an impact. And I thought the giant battle scenes were very good and stressful (although my friend found them a little overdone, but I don't agree with him). It also does show how awful the war in the Pacific was.
    The movie also highlighted Mel Gibson's white-man-religion obsession again. He doesn't make movies that aren't that anymore. I do think he's a good director... I also think his religious mania is very subtly and artistically injected in an almost manipulative way TBH (this is totally separate from the religious beliefs held by the movie's character or the real man) ... I am not really bothered by this. More fascinated by it, since it's not normal and very distinctive. Like a strange religious Mel Gibson calling card, lol, although he seems to have decided to get a little more PC about it. It's quite Interesting (and not a turn off).
    I think the second half of this movie is light years better than the first half.
    I give it 7/10.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    PJ_Soul said:

I think this movie is being overrated. Saw it last night. From this thread, I expected it to be amazing. Well, it wasn't. It was just okay overall IMO. Definitely nowhere near as good as Saving Private Ryan. Not even in the same ballpark, and I am surprised they are being compared at all. It's also not nearly as good as the Thin Red Line. It was just fine, with just a bit too much corniness. Yes, the bravery and heroics of the man are touching and impressive. That it is a true story definitely has an impact. And I thought the giant battle scenes were very good and stressful (although my friend found them a little overdone, but I don't agree with him). It also does show how awful the war in the Pacific was.
    The movie also highlighted Mel Gibson's white-man-religion obsession again. He doesn't make movies that aren't that anymore. I do think he's a good director... I also think his religious mania is very subtly and artistically injected in an almost manipulative way TBH (this is totally separate from the religious beliefs held by the movie's character or the real man) ... I am not really bothered by this. More fascinated by it, since it's not normal and very distinctive. Like a strange religious Mel Gibson calling card, lol, although he seems to have decided to get a little more PC about it. It's quite Interesting (and not a turn off).
    I think the second half of this movie is light years better than the first half.
    I give it 7/10.

Good story. Melodramatic. I agree.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • I don't think hacksaw Ridge is even in the same category as saving private ryan. The movie is ok at best. I did like Vince Vaughn as the drill instructor. But the movie lacked something, it's difficult to pinpoint what. I just didn't care for many of the characters like you would in SPR or even Forrest Gump.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place