CD-R Blank Quality

I may be in the minority now but I still have a CD player in my vehicles and home ent. System. Is there certain quality standard of new blank CD's for burning music to look for?

Comments

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,016
    Taiyo Yuden is the best.
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 664
    Thank you! I had never even heard of that name before. Can I ask is the 52x adequate and what does that number refer to?
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,016
    edited October 2016
    52X means 52 times read speed. 1X = read speed. It means how fast you can burn the disc. I never burn at the max speed anyway.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    DJ253147 said:

I may be in the minority now but I still have a CD player in my vehicles and home ent. System. Is there certain quality standard of new blank CD's for burning music to look for?

I think Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim probably make the best discs these days (not there's that many optical media manufacturers left).
  • I never understood why even bother - we're talking about shelf life right? I've got Kodak's from 1999 that play perfectly.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535

I never understood why even bother - we're talking about shelf life right? I've got Kodak's from 1999 that play perfectly.

It does matter. It's kind of funny because I also have some kodak discs as my first ever burned discs from around '97 and they still work. What I learned in subsequent years is not all disks have the same shelf life. You kind of have to use the best rated brands so your discs still work in 10 years. I remember when blank dvd's came out I was using good ones and a buddy was using a brand call princo. The only dvd's I have that I can't read today. If you use decent media they'll last a long time, if you don't, you're luck if they last a few years :(
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited November 2016
    Used to be Ricoh platinum in the trading circles. It did matter as far as archiving duration, acidity, and overall write quality. We never burned atax speed, it reduced errors.
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on