Cable Alternatives (Playstation Vue, ETC)

My cable bill keeps climbing with little to no flexibility from Time Warner. Beginning to research potential alternative. Netflix Instant Stream has become great for the price, especially with the kick ass original programing they are producing. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I was looking into Playstation Vue and it seems like a cheaper option than cable. I'm told using the good old fashioned antenna can allow you to watch local channels for free too.

Any insight would be great! Can't justify the high cable costs anymore!
PJ:
2003 Mansfield: July 2
2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
2005 Montreal: Sept 15
2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
2010 Boston: May 17
2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11

Comments

• Did this 3 years ago and don't miss it other than one thing, sports. Gives you an excuse to go watch games at a bar though.

1. Hulu - $8 a month
    2. Showtime Addon - $8 a month
    3. Netflix: 12 a month I think
    4. HBO Now: 15 a month:

All that and is only $43 a month. 1/3 of what I was paying for dish and didnt have HBO or Showtime.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    yeah cable companies better wise up or they will go extinct...its ridiculous what they are charging and with all these other options out there who would want cable/dish
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Have psvue which allows me to watch all the sports I want, which is all I care about. Has dvr for shows the wife likes but only saves dvr for 28 days. I get all the espns, btn, tbs, tnt, trutv, nfl network, sec network and fs1. I split mlbtv with friends so i get all the cubs games in Wisconsin. Only sports i care about are mlb, nfl snd college hoops and football so it's great. Some areas provide regional sports networks, some don't. I don't get fs wisconsin for brewers or bucks games but dont care since im not a fan of either

Have had 2 issues though. Paid the $40 add on fee to get nfl redzone and 1 wk it didn't work till halftime of the early games. Also went out during part of 1 of the Cubs NLCS games. I was pissed but luckily had fox sports go app as my backup with in laws log in. If you like sports id recommend having that type of backup just in case.

Wish they'd add mlb network that's it. Interested in seeing hulu's and directvs similar platforms that will be released soon.

Yeah my cable bill was gonna jump 33% gave them the option to leave it where it was or I'd walk. They couldn't do that so i left. Made sure to ask them when they ever got a 33% raise at a job cause i sure as f never did.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    I tried Sling for once on Roku. Not bad but I use streaming more so I cancelled it. Vue has a better selection. I understand Hulu has a service coming soon.
  • Can't wait for the hulu option. I got my brother to loan me his directv logon so I can at least stream ESPN and other networks on my laptop.

Cable will keep going up in price. ESPN has contracts with the sports networks to air games. They are fixed contracts for billions a year. ESPN charges $3 to the cable companies per user, the most by far. ESPN is also a draw for the cable companies so they get their increases. As more people leave cable ESPN demands more money when they renegotiate their fees as their costs are fixed. They now need $4 per user. Every time someone leaves they need more from who is left. Do this across hundreds of channels and the price is spiking a lot for those still getting cable. Networks are doing this to themselves as every price increase leads to less people.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Android Boxes...just search amazon, usually $50 and up.

All the programming you want without the cable bill

However, all the live sports you'd ever want is available'

Quality often determined by the quality of the internet connection...

Ditched cable/sat 5 years ago for antenna and the an android box a couple years ago...best decision ever.

Another solution is to download kodi to your computer and stream via hdmi to tv.

Tv Add-ons
    https://www.tvaddons.ag

Kodi
    https://kodi.tv
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Appreciate the input. I was reading that Direct TV might have an affordable option about to launch. Potentially about to move so what better time to shed the weight of cable!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • lukin2006 said:

What do you think of this article? http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/android-box-streaming-1.3455524
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

lukin2006 said:

What do you think of this article? http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/android-box-streaming-1.3455524
    Those are the boxes I'm essentially talking about.

You can get similar boxes like I said 50 and up. You do not need those boxes if your computer can be connected to a tv through hdmi, then there are 2 programs I'm aware of that both work with Mac and PC, they are free telly or kodi...instructions for getting addons and setting up those programs are available at tvaddons.ag.

As for these boxes and it's programming is that it's a grey area...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Kodi + chromecast
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata