TOTD TIMES OF TROUBLE = FOOTSTEPS

Probably not mentioning anything new, but I didn't realize the melody is exactly the same. Anyone know the story behind this?

Comments

• Stone wrote it and used it for Temple & later Pearl Jam.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • While the music is the same footsteps is by far the better song
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • RS151862RS151862 Posts: 2,640
    I always thought it was interesting to see what two different song writers did with what was initially the same piece of music.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895

While the music is the same footsteps is by far the better song

I disagree, but to each their own.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I used to think Footsteps was way superior to Times of Trouble, but it's really grown on me. Love them both.

Wasn't the story about this in the PJ20 book? I could have sworn I read about it in there. Or somewhere.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,138
    I really like the Piano in Times of Trouble.

That alone has been drawing me back to it.
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716

While the music is the same footsteps is by far the better song

Agreed
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    edited October 2016

YES! After I posted, I went on youtube to look for it. Great minds... :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Nwf1d6Dnc
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 664
    My wife pointed this out some years back. Both great but Footsteps is a fixture in my PJ top ten list. I just about lost my mind in Pemberton when Footsteps followed the Release opener.
  • Footsteps is my favourite of the two, even though hearing TOT first by a long time. I damn near cried when they played it in St Paul two years ago. Who am I kidding. I did cry.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,557
    There was some show in 1992 (Europe, I think) where Eddie starts singing Times of Trouble instead of Footsteps. It's pretty funny.
  • stevedsteved Posts: 657

There was some show in 1992 (Europe, I think) where Eddie starts singing Times of Trouble instead of Footsteps. It's pretty funny.

I am not aware of this... please more info....
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    I loved Times of Trouble way before I ever heard Footsteps. The first time I heard the opening chords of Footsteps live I was like ..."oh snap...they are going to cover Temple".
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403

I ve never heard of this. Find it when you can.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • DJ253147 said:

My wife pointed this out some years back. Both great but Footsteps is a fixture in my PJ top ten list. I just about lost my mind in Pemberton when Footsteps followed the Release opener.

Oceans opener into Footsteps followed by Off He Goes to open Wrigley 2 would have dropped u then lol

Oh.. and then proceed to run a string of just rockers
    edited October 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Found it! Thanks to Two Feet Thick:
    http://www.twofeetthick.com/concert-chronology/pj1992/

06/25/92 – Moderna Museet, Skeppsholmen: Stockholm, Sweden [110m]
    attendance: 1,500
    set: Driven to Tears, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Even Flow, Once, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Improv, Black, (Help Me Rhonda)/Deep, Jeremy, Why Go, Improv (The First Time), Porch
    enc 1: Suggestion/Garden
    enc 2: Leash, I’ve Got a Feeling/(Dolly Dagger)/(Three Little Birds)/Rockin’ in the Free World
    enc 3: Release, Footsteps
    notes: This show, originally scheduled for the Melody Club, was moved to this outdoor venue due to the current popularity of Ten. With no opening act, Ed and Mike took the stage to open with two acoustic songs. Ed is very chatty with the audience, beginning by saying, “Today it just feels good … a fast one or a slow one?” and playing the Police cover, ‘Driven to Tears.’ Then, ” … it’s a song about summer and outdoors” and playing the Hunters and Collectors tune, ‘Throw Your Arms Around Me.’ After the other PJ members take the stage, “Let’s just have fun tonight.” intro’s a ripping ‘Even Flow.’ Ed spies someone taping in the audience and remarks, “This guy’s making a tape recording … everybody be careful … don’t make too much noise. No keep it out. I like that idea. He’s OK. Let him tape the show, yeah … we wanna remember this, right?” A lot of stuff is being thrown on stage during this show. After ‘Once,’ Ed, being hit by a shoe, becomes angry, and holds the shoe up, and smiles, fills it with his beverage and drinks from it. Wiping the drops away from his mouth, he says, “I’m crazier than any of you fucks” (turning a stupid incident into something good). Then he says, “This song is called … what’s it called?” and he passes the mic out to the audience and some guy repeats, “I’m crazier than you” several times, and then “State of love and trust” which PJ plays next! Ed sings “Help me Rhonda. I’m in too deep,” as a lead-in to ‘Deep.’ PJ is upset that this show was for 18+ ages only and later Ed comments, “You know of this thing, Roskilde? We’re playing tomorrow. After this, I feel like saying ‘fuck it, let’s just play here again.’ This is the size! It’s outdoors … this is as big as it needs to get … next time it will be at this place, it will be all ages and it will be cheaper than it was today. This was bullshit and I don’t dare say that unless I plan to live up to it so we will live up to it. We’ll see you there then, OK?” ‘Release’ is played because they forgot to play it earlier and ‘Footsteps’ is started with the Temple of the Dog version (‘Times of Trouble’) lyrics and then Ed explains the origin of the song and they restart it. So sad that this very happy night was marred by some of the band’s personal items being stolen backstage as they played.
  • stevedsteved Posts: 657

mcgruff10 said:

set: Driven to Tears, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Even Flow, Once, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Improv, Black, (Help Me Rhonda)/Deep, Jeremy, Why Go, Improv (The First Time), Porch
    enc 2: Leash, I’ve Got a Feeling/(Dolly Dagger)/(Three Little Birds)/Rockin’ in the Free World
    notes: This show, originally scheduled for the Melody Club, was moved to this outdoor venue due to the current popularity of Ten. With no opening act, Ed and Mike took the stage to open with two acoustic songs. Ed is very chatty with the audience, beginning by saying, “Today it just feels good … a fast one or a slow one?” and playing the Police cover, ‘Driven to Tears.’ Then, ” … it’s a song about summer and outdoors” and playing the Hunters and Collectors tune, ‘Throw Your Arms Around Me.’ After the other PJ members take the stage, “Let’s just have fun tonight.” intro’s a ripping ‘Even Flow.’ Ed spies someone taping in the audience and remarks, “This guy’s making a tape recording … everybody be careful … don’t make too much noise. No keep it out. I like that idea. He’s OK. Let him tape the show, yeah … we wanna remember this, right?” A lot of stuff is being thrown on stage during this show. After ‘Once,’ Ed, being hit by a shoe, becomes angry, and holds the shoe up, and smiles, fills it with his beverage and drinks from it. Wiping the drops away from his mouth, he says, “I’m crazier than any of you fucks” (turning a stupid incident into something good). Then he says, “This song is called … what’s it called?” and he passes the mic out to the audience and some guy repeats, “I’m crazier than you” several times, and then “State of love and trust” which PJ plays next! Ed sings “Help me Rhonda. I’m in too deep,” as a lead-in to ‘Deep.’ PJ is upset that this show was for 18+ ages only and later Ed comments, “You know of this thing, Roskilde? We’re playing tomorrow. After this, I feel like saying ‘fuck it, let’s just play here again.’ This is the size! It’s outdoors … this is as big as it needs to get … next time it will be at this place, it will be all ages and it will be cheaper than it was today. This was bullshit and I don’t dare say that unless I plan to live up to it so we will live up to it. We’ll see you there then, OK?” ‘Release’ is played because they forgot to play it earlier and ‘Footsteps’ is started with the Temple of the Dog version (‘Times of Trouble’) lyrics and then Ed explains the origin of the song and they restart it. So sad that this very happy night was marred by some of the band’s personal items being stolen backstage as they played.
    Awesome! Thanks.. Downloading now...
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    great find bud! I don't think I ever heard that show; I'm gonna have to give it a listen to.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    Times of Trouble is an excellent song, right up there with Footsteps IMO. When has there ever been 2 great songs created from one set of music?????
  • RS151862RS151862 Posts: 2,640
    TJ25487 said:

Times of Trouble is an excellent song, right up there with Footsteps IMO. When has there ever been 2 great songs created from one set of music?????

Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II ....
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,138
    edited October 2016
    Suziemay said:

YES! After I posted, I went on youtube to look for it. Great minds... :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Nwf1d6Dnc
    Great minds indeed Susie!!!

Are you going to any of the TOTD shows??
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    TJ25487 said:

Agreed, they are both excellent songs.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838

mcgruff10 said:

That once...no twice when Ed drank from a shoe.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • steved said:

mcgruff10 said:

Awesome! Thanks.. Downloading now...
    Driven To Tears that early? 1992?
    www.cluthelee.com
    mcgruff10 said:

great find bud! I don't think I ever heard that show; I'm gonna have to give it a listen to.

It's a fantastic show! That I've Got A Feeling with the Dolly Dagger tag is insane. I wouldn't be opposed to having this show as a Vault release. Of course, a lot of those European 1992 club shows are great.