Options

Vault 6 is the cream of the crop

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900

Got around to downloading this tonight, and I can't quite call it the cream of the crop. Sure, it sounds great, but the performance isn't exactly the tightest in their history. Eddie flubs lyrics several times, and his voice quality isn't the greatest (could be due to the late show in Vegas two nights prior). Eddie's guitar playing on Small Town sounds prehistoric (no 1,2,3,4 countdown!). He has improved so much over the years with his playing.

Two things I noticed while listening: (1) There's some sort of effect on Eddie's vocals during Jeremy. (2) It sounds like Eddie starts Daughter with his guitar? I've always remembered Stone starting it.

They screwed up naming the files, too. It's Betterman/Save It For Later and then Daughter/The New World/I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts.

Thank god Eddie didn't sing "Small my table, seats just two, me and (she-who-shall-not-be-named)" during Not For You, otherwise it might have developed "tape limitations" and been omitted. Maybe they selected this show because it has no mention of (she-who-shall-not-be-named)?

It's a solid show, but not spectacular.

Ed definitely does not start daughter with his guitar.
    I remember a poll way back on the synergy boards and the la shows were voted the second best shows of the tour only behind msg.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

I think 9/11 msg is the best 98 show but this LA show is killer. Its like the official bootlegs that they marked as their picks in 2000. Something stood out to Jeff or whoever picks these.

I dont think Ed played guitar on Small Town back then tho. And def not Daughter

I don't recall him picking up a guitar this whole show actually.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

I think 9/11 msg is the best 98 show but this LA show is killer. Its like the official bootlegs that they marked as their picks in 2000. Something stood out to Jeff or whoever picks these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZgO04uMk34
  • Options
    Ed is definitely playing on
    Sometimes
    Corduroy
    MFC
    Not For You
    Better Man
    Rearviewmirror
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options

I think ed smashed his guitar at the end of one of the songs. My memory is failing me lol.
    I know mike killed a guitar at the end of spin.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    mcgruff10 said:

Got around to downloading this tonight, and I can't quite call it the cream of the crop. Sure, it sounds great, but the performance isn't exactly the tightest in their history. Eddie flubs lyrics several times, and his voice quality isn't the greatest (could be due to the late show in Vegas two nights prior). Eddie's guitar playing on Small Town sounds prehistoric (no 1,2,3,4 countdown!). He has improved so much over the years with his playing.

Two things I noticed while listening: (1) There's some sort of effect on Eddie's vocals during Jeremy. (2) It sounds like Eddie starts Daughter with his guitar? I've always remembered Stone starting it.

They screwed up naming the files, too. It's Betterman/Save It For Later and then Daughter/The New World/I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts.

Thank god Eddie didn't sing "Small my table, seats just two, me and (she-who-shall-not-be-named)" during Not For You, otherwise it might have developed "tape limitations" and been omitted. Maybe they selected this show because it has no mention of (she-who-shall-not-be-named)?

I remember a poll way back on the synergy boards and the la shows were voted the second best shows of the tour only behind msg.
    I always had the LA night 2 cassette and that was a great show. This was one of the few 98 shows i didnt have. Amazing show. Intense. Better than Constitution Hall IMO
  • Options

Sometimes
    Corduroy
    MFC
    Not For You
    Better Man
    Rearviewmirror

That's not night 2? Man my memory is failing me...
  • Options

Sometimes
    Corduroy
    MFC
    Not For You
    Better Man
    Rearviewmirror

I don't think those songs have ever been played with ed not on guitar.
  • Options

Sometimes
    Corduroy
    MFC
    Not For You
    Better Man
    Rearviewmirror

I don't think those songs have ever been played with ed not on guitar.
    Yeah my memory is foggy now. I'll need to watch the video to refresh my mind.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480

I'd be comfortable in saying that you probably can't find a full show where ed doesn't flub lyrics. As far as Not For You, I have no idea what you're talking about. They're not combing through tapes and any reference to his ex is dismissed as unusable.

What the versions that aren't tight to you?
    Present Tense comes to mind immediately. I'm bummed because that's one of my favorite songs. It could be that I'm projecting the sloppiness of that song on the rest of the show.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    mcgruff10 said:

I must be tripping because I hear three guitars on Daughter. Unless Stone's guitar is bleeding into the center channel where Ed's guitar has been the whole night?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

I must be tripping because I hear three guitars on Daughter. Unless Stone's guitar is bleeding into the center channel where Ed's guitar has been the whole night?
    check it out for yourself: 1:25:12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS4eGOnVC80
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246

I'd be comfortable in saying that you probably can't find a full show where ed doesn't flub lyrics. As far as Not For You, I have no idea what you're talking about. They're not combing through tapes and any reference to his ex is dismissed as unusable.

What the versions that aren't tight to you?
    Present Tense comes to mind immediately. I'm bummed because that's one of my favorite songs. It could be that I'm projecting the sloppiness of that song on the rest of the show.
    Besides Ed flubbing a few words, it sounds great musically. He even nails the ending solo, which doesn't always happen. I thought Matt's drumming on Elderly Woman was off, but that was the most notable thing. Minor stuff here and there otherwise, but a great show all around. Loved the way Ed sang Baba, but missed the stronger guitar opening.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited October 2016
    KV4053 said:

steved said:

NewJPage said:

I know some people dont like having 2 of the 4 vinyl vaults being 1998 but we might see another in a year or two.
    -we know these shows were recorded for LO2L
    -the length of these shows is perfect for 3LP sets
    -its hard to complain about these performances. Its my favorite time period for the band as far as "live" goes. We all have out own choices for their prime. 1998 is my pick.

So what do we know about other tours from before 1998? Did they record them all?
    They recorded a bunch of them. How do you think we got all those bootlegged cd's back in the day!?!
    From audience members and soundboards. The band's recordings never came out
    I've got a NOLA 95 boot that's soundboard...
    If that is New Orleans, La 9.17.95, that is not SBD.. It is an audience recording.. If you have a SBD recording you would be the only person other than the band to have this.

The recording circulated is a decent sounding audience recording but not a SBD.

Some of the November 95' shows are available on SBD or FM sources but not September or earlier 1995 other than Soldier Field and Melbourne.
    Your knowledge is deep
    Some of the November 95' shows are available on SBD or FM sources but not September or earlier 1995 other than Soldier Field and Melbourne.

In the interest of trying to put accurate information out there for all 1995 shows in SBD / FM / Pre-FM etc, the DC 1.14.95 show is also available in addition to the Self Pollution Radio 1.08.95.

1995 Shows FM / Pre-FM / ALD / IEM / SBD etc..(Nothing as good as Multi-Track Vault Release), but better than most good audience recordings!

1.08.95 Seattle
    1:14.95 Washington D.C
    3.17.95 Melbourne
    7.11.95 Chicago
    11.01.95 Salt Lake City
    11.02.95 Salt Lake City
    11.04.95 San Jose

There could be others that I am forgetting....
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    steved said:

KV4053 said:

steved said:

NewJPage said:

I know some people dont like having 2 of the 4 vinyl vaults being 1998 but we might see another in a year or two.
    -its hard to complain about these performances. Its my favorite time period for the band as far as "live" goes. We all have out own choices for their prime. 1998 is my pick.

So what do we know about other tours from before 1998? Did they record them all?
    They recorded a bunch of them. How do you think we got all those bootlegged cd's back in the day!?!
    If that is New Orleans, La 9.17.95, that is not SBD.. It is an audience recording.. If you have a SBD recording you would be the only person other than the band to have this.

Your knowledge is deep

In the interest of trying to put accurate information out there for all 1995 shows in SBD / FM / Pre-FM etc, the DC 1.14.95 show is also available in addition to the Self Pollution Radio 1.08.95.

1995 Shows FM / Pre-FM / ALD / IEM / SBD etc..(Nothing as good as Multi-Track Vault Release), but better than most good audience recordings!

1.08.95 Seattle
    3.17.95 Melbourne
    7.11.95 Chicago
    11.01.95 Salt Lake City
    11.02.95 Salt Lake City
    11.04.95 San Jose

What about San Diego 11/6 and 11/7?
    Awesome info bud!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    steved said:

KV4053 said:

steved said:

NewJPage said:

Your knowledge is deep

1.08.95 Seattle
    3.17.95 Melbourne
    7.11.95 Chicago
    11.01.95 Salt Lake City
    11.02.95 Salt Lake City
    11.04.95 San Jose

Do you know if the NOLA 95 show was professionally recorded? I know the Sonic Reducer fan club single came from that show but was wondering if they recorded the whole show.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited October 2016
    imageMike's Setlist

Do you know if the NOLA 95 show was professionally recorded? I know the Sonic Reducer fan club single came from that show but was wondering if they recorded the whole show.

Looks like they have EVERYTHING!!!!! I was front row getting the shit kicked out of me and loving every minute of it at that NOLA 95' show and it was insane!!!! I would love it to see the light of day!

JR: Has the band catalogued their concerts since their first show (10/22/90)? Various 1992 b-sides included songs from FM recordings, and songs from particular shows were released from 1993 U.S. shows (the fan club single for example). I’m assuming early club shows were put to DAT, but did shows start to get recorded/archived to multi-track at some point?

Brett: I ran cassette initially DAT just wasn’t that prevalent a format in clubs at that point. As we got into 1992 I was running a DAT Walkman at every show. Starting in 1993 I began to multitrack (16 track) all of the shows. In 1994 I bumped up to twenty-four tracks. From these recordings came live B-sides, Christmas singles, and eventually Live on Two Legs.

Taken from

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/01/19/the-mixer-brett-eliason/
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    steved said:

JR: Has the band catalogued their concerts since their first show (10/22/90)? Various 1992 b-sides included songs from FM recordings, and songs from particular shows were released from 1993 U.S. shows (the fan club single for example). I’m assuming early club shows were put to DAT, but did shows start to get recorded/archived to multi-track at some point?

Brett: I ran cassette initially DAT just wasn’t that prevalent a format in clubs at that point. As we got into 1992 I was running a DAT Walkman at every show. Starting in 1993 I began to multitrack (16 track) all of the shows. In 1994 I bumped up to twenty-four tracks. From these recordings came live B-sides, Christmas singles, and eventually Live on Two Legs.

Taken from

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/01/19/the-mixer-brett-eliason/
    thanks, that is great.
    no excuse now not to have a 95 Vault release.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Awesome knowledge. Thanks steved
  • Options
    So steved, are the majority of shows from 94-98 recorded from the soundboard?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes refer to dearthvedder post above.. All shows recorded! Starting in 93' 16 track Multi-track and 94' they stepped it up to 24 Multi-Track SBD.

• Options
    steved said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yes refer to dearthvedder post above.. All shows recorded! Starting in 93' 16 track Multi-track and 94' they stepped it up to 24 Multi-Track SBD.
    So when tenclub.net says some sets on the Asian 95 tour are unknown, it s all bs?
    Thanks again for the info
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

mcgruff10 said:

So when tenclub.net says some sets on the Asian 95 tour are unknown, it s all bs?
    Thanks again for the info
    Where did they get the pristine audio from the 95' tracks featured on PJ20 soundtrack? They might not have all the Asia/AUS/NZ shows but they have some that I'd guess would make awesome vault shows. My vote is for Red Rocks 95' or any US 96' tour show for next vault. All the other drummers are represented. Time for some Jack!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    That quote is directly from Brett Eliason who has been their recording engineer forever. If he says it, it is so. He has mixed almost all of their live albums.

For instance, when I got the raw files for the Temple of The Dog PJ20 SBD it came directly from his multi-track mix. He is listed in the credits for just about every project PJ puts out as the audio mixer.
    Post edited by steved on

• Options
    Looks like the vinyl is popping up. Very exciting.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    mcgruff10 said:

Never get tired of hearing slower, groovier Given To Fly....

I hate how they rush songs now.
    ive noticed that too, trying to get those 35 songs in every night
  • Options
    So the farting noise I mentioned?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565

So the farting noise I mentioned?

Where did you say you heard it again?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Anyone hear Mike's guitar 'fart' after In Hiding just before Evenflow? Hahahaha!!!

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Anyone hear Mike's guitar 'fart' after In Hiding just before Evenflow? Hahahaha!!!

I deliberately chose to block that uncouth sound from my mind because of your first post.
    I for sure don't want to be reminded that any guitar sound from PJ is a fart noise.