Ticket Prices

2»

Comments

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

Bummer. I'd like to see Coldplay in Seattle, but I won't pay "lifetime experience" type prices. Appreciate the tip that they're in town. I like what Chris Martin is doing with Global Citizen.

They are playing Century Link which is a massive venue. I'm curious to see if it sells out or not. $90 will get me a seat that makes the band look like ants

ZERO chance this sells out. They may hold back tickets to create the illusion of a sellout....and then release a crap-ton of tickets in the few weeks leading up to the show...but there will be a cornucopia of empty seats.
    They will totally sell out. We may not like them, but plenty of people do, and more people like Coldplay than Pearl Jam. If you trust Wikipedia, Coldplay has sold "over 80 million records worldwide". In contrast, Pearl Jam has sold "an estimated 60 million [records] worldwide".
    They seemed to be well received by the millennials at GCF. I was actually shocked that anyone knew who they were. but then again I am so far out of the mainstream loop.
    Little kids also thought Beyoncé would be closing/headlining GCF too ;)
    Objectively, it should have been Beyonce, she's the bigger name. But because of who's involved with Global Citizen, they made the "right" decision :). To bring it back to Coldplay, Chris Martin is the music curator for GCF so as much as everyone loves hating on Coldplay, you probably have him to thank for that!
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192

lolobugg said:

Wow, Coldplay. I saw them for the first time back in 2001 after winning free tickets off the radio. Tiny, tiny venue and really small crowd. Saw them a few times over the next few years but lost interest once they hit the big, big time. I had no idea their tix were going for that much. Go figure.

I had the same experience. saw them in a club in Atlanta in 2000/2001 (cancelled) and then in Charlotte(2002/2003). It was a good show. Saw them again in 2005 and it was a fucking joke.... never saw them again.....wait..i saw them at GCF last year. they were seriously lame. don't pay that much to see them in concert. save your money and support smaller bands that deserve it.
    I think 2005 was the last time I saw them, too. Went to Charlotte and Atlanta shows, mainly to see Rilo Kiley who was the opener. I honestly don't remember what I paid but if I had to guess it would be $50/$60 range.
    sounds about right...... 2005 they were so cheesy.. wtf happened to them.

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

Bummer. I'd like to see Coldplay in Seattle, but I won't pay "lifetime experience" type prices. Appreciate the tip that they're in town. I like what Chris Martin is doing with Global Citizen.

They are playing Century Link which is a massive venue. I'm curious to see if it sells out or not. $90 will get me a seat that makes the band look like ants

ZERO chance this sells out. They may hold back tickets to create the illusion of a sellout....and then release a crap-ton of tickets in the few weeks leading up to the show...but there will be a cornucopia of empty seats.
    They will totally sell out. We may not like them, but plenty of people do, and more people like Coldplay than Pearl Jam. If you trust Wikipedia, Coldplay has sold "over 80 million records worldwide". In contrast, Pearl Jam has sold "an estimated 60 million [records] worldwide".
    They seemed to be well received by the millennials at GCF. I was actually shocked that anyone knew who they were. but then again I am so far out of the mainstream loop.
    funny that you say that...... I overheard a conversation while we were standing in line... this really bratty 20 year old girl was saying....
    "if it was up to me it would be........ Pearl Jam Opening, Coldplay second, (whoever that redheaded fucker was that was hot last year), and then Beyonce'." my friend and I turned around and said "well there would def be 2 less people here if that was the case"
    fucking millennials, man.. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
    lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

I loved being in the VIP zone at global citizen. It was a sea of Pearl Jam fans. What defines a melenial?
  • link93link93 Posts: 410
    Saw coldplay with my teenage son in August tickets were expensive but it was completely sold out. Only like their older albums. Decent show but lots of other bands I would rather see.
    riley540 said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

I loved being in the VIP zone at global citizen. It was a sea of Pearl Jam fans. What defines a melenial?
    someone born between the early 1980s and the early 2000s.............that possibly missed out on the whole "grunge" scene. :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    riley540 said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

me too :)
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

Wow, Coldplay. I saw them for the first time back in 2001 after winning free tickets off the radio. Tiny, tiny venue and really small crowd. Saw them a few times over the next few years but lost interest once they hit the big, big time. I had no idea their tix were going for that much. Go figure.

I had the same experience. saw them in a club in Atlanta in 2000/2001 (cancelled) and then in Charlotte(2002/2003). It was a good show. Saw them again in 2005 and it was a fucking joke.... never saw them again.....wait..i saw them at GCF last year. they were seriously lame. don't pay that much to see them in concert. save your money and support smaller bands that deserve it.
    I think 2005 was the last time I saw them, too. Went to Charlotte and Atlanta shows, mainly to see Rilo Kiley who was the opener. I honestly don't remember what I paid but if I had to guess it would be $50/$60 range.
    sounds about right...... 2005 they were so cheesy.. wtf happened to them.

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

funny that you say that...... I overheard a conversation while we were standing in line... this really bratty 20 year old girl was saying....
    "if it was up to me it would be........ Pearl Jam Opening, Coldplay second, (whoever that redheaded fucker was that was hot last year), and then Beyonce'." my friend and I turned around and said "well there would def be 2 less people here if that was the case"
    fucking millennials, man.. :lol:
    Definitely able to move up after she left the stage.
  • Bon Jovi tickets went on sale yesterday and all week actually. All floor and entire lower bowl for the venue I am going to go see him are 155 + TM fees. I'll be sitting in the upper deck.
    lolobugg said:

riley540 said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

someone born between the early 1980s and the early 2000s.............that possibly missed out on the whole "grunge" scene. :lol:
    F my life. I was born in 95. 98% of people I meet that are my age have never heard of Pearl Jam. They wear repro nirvana shirts but can't even name a song. Comical
    riley540 said:

lolobugg said:

riley540 said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

F my life. I was born in 95. 98% of people I meet that are my age have never heard of Pearl Jam. They wear repro nirvana shirts but can't even name a song. Comical
    That's what makes you cool!!! just be happy that they are around and touring.... my generation prob never got to see Zeppelin in concert.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• I feel PJ keeps tickets affordable. Who are we kidding? If they sold tickets at GNR or U2/Coldplay prices they would still sell out and we would still be buying them.

I've read that most tickets are already sold/gone by the time they go on sale. Between fan club seats, seats the venue takes, seats the promoter takes, sponsor tickets, radio stations etc etc etc.............most of the time only around 25-30% of the tickets are really available to the public. The really good seats will never be available to the public.

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but I'm not blind to their popularity. They will be close to capacity. No question.

I feel PJ keeps tickets affordable. Who are we kidding? If they sold tickets at GNR or U2/Coldplay prices they would still sell out and we would still be buying them.

I've read that most tickets are already sold/gone by the time they go on sale. Between fan club seats, seats the venue takes, seats the promoter takes, sponsor tickets, radio stations etc etc etc.............most of the time only around 25-30% of the tickets are really available to the public. The really good seats will never be available to the public.

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but I'm not blind to their popularity. They will be close to capacity. No question.

I'm sure I would still go see PJ if tickets cost more, but I respect the low prices a lot. I lived in Alaska up until this year, so it was always an expensive trip to go see them. I saw them in 2013 when I was a senior in high school, and have seen them every year since. I just keep saving my pennies

• Earlier this summer I saw that Culture Club was playing in Charleston. Being a huge fan of 80's music I thought I'd go since I never got to see them at the peak of their popularity. Tickets were over $200/seat and slightly less than that for nosebleed. No thanks. I didn't even pay that much to see Paul McCartney last year.
    I'm through with screaming
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    edited October 2016
    riley540 said:

kasedoug said:

They're basically just trying to cut out the secondary market by pricing their tickets at what they perceive the market value to be. At $100 per ticket, lots more people would want tickets than there would be tickets available so when those tickets are sold out, fans that still want them would have to find tickets on the secondary market priced at those higher amounts.

Louis CK the Comedian has a good solution for his live shows. I buought tickets to see him $50 each for great seats. I have to show up at the venue with ID to get my tickets the day of. No stub hub or anything like that can sell tickets for his shows.
    Even temple of the dog tickets for Seattle are insanely high. They should just make it so you have to show ID to enter. All the tickets would have been sold to true fans for a fair price of that were the case
    Louis proves that it can be done. He also is extremely limited to the venues he can perform. Its still a good ole boys club in the music industry and very few venues and promoters would agree to this. PJ is way too big to be playing the Paramount.

TOD in Seattle is a combination of the industry and huge huge supply and demand. Do the math for the Paramount. 2000 seats. Everyone goes for a pair. Even if all the tickets in the venue were available, they are not, about 1000 people are getting seats if lucky. How many people are going for them? Conservatively I'd say a million people. 0.1% chance of getting tickets. In reality there were only around 500-600 tickets available for the public sale. Same math........0.025% chance of getting a ticket.
    Post edited by Eddieredder on

riley540 said:

kasedoug said:

They're basically just trying to cut out the secondary market by pricing their tickets at what they perceive the market value to be. At $100 per ticket, lots more people would want tickets than there would be tickets available so when those tickets are sold out, fans that still want them would have to find tickets on the secondary market priced at those higher amounts.

Louis CK the Comedian has a good solution for his live shows. I buought tickets to see him $50 each for great seats. I have to show up at the venue with ID to get my tickets the day of. No stub hub or anything like that can sell tickets for his shows.
    Even temple of the dog tickets for Seattle are insanely high. They should just make it so you have to show ID to enter. All the tickets would have been sold to true fans for a fair price of that were the case
    Louis proves that it can be done. He also is extremely limited to the venues he can perform. Its still a good ole boys club in the music industry and very few venues and promoters would agree to this. PJ is way too big to be playing the Paramount.

TOD in Seattle is a combination of the industry and huge huge supply and demand. Do the math for the Paramount. 2000 seats. Everyone goes for a pair. Even if all the tickets in the venue were available, they are not, about 1000 people are getting seats if lucky. How many people are going for them? Conservatively I'd say a million people. 0.1% chance of getting tickets. In reality there were only around 500-600 tickets available for the public sale. Same math........0.025% chance of getting a ticket.
    Somehow I scored a single ticket to the Sunday Seattle temple show. I'm pumped The be in the building. I didn't even try for a pair
  • riley540 said:

SR91748 said:

They will absolutely sell out. Think what you will about Coldplay, but they are one of the biggest bands in the world....check out the attendance figures from this tour. Sold out everywhere around the world....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Head_Full_of_Dreams_Tour
  • riley540 said:

riley540 said:

kasedoug said:

Somehow I scored a single ticket to the Sunday Seattle temple show. I'm pumped The be in the building. I didn't even try for a pair
    Congrats. You won the lotto!

riley540 said:

riley540 said:

kasedoug said:

Congrats. You won the lotto!
    Thanks! It's crazy seeing what scalpers are charging. Might as well just sell my seat and retire. Ha ha. I wouldn't miss the show for anything
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    edited October 2016
    riley540 said:

Thanks! It's crazy seeing what scalpers are charging. Might as well just sell my seat and retire. Ha ha. I wouldn't miss the show for anything

I don't think I could of justified spending close to $1000 USD for a pair of tickets. Thankfully a few other 10c'ers helped me out with the CC/Soundgarden presale code (of which I'm a member of both mailing lists, but didn't get my official email with the code until almost a day after the presale happened). Managed to get a pair for night 1 in Seattle and feel very lucky.

edit: I still think GNR's summer tour was a bit clever on the combatting of scalping. Obviously they sold out in the big cities no problem, but many of the other dates didn't sell out. Had they played Arena's they most definitely would of, and would of been a scalpers paradise. Even if some of the stadiums were only 3/4 full, they still made more money than playing an arena (because 30 or 40000 tickets is better than 20000), and there were so many tickets, that scalpers were stuff eating them.

It's a wierd thing. Most bands don't play stadiums because they're hard to sell out. Arena's often don't have enough tickets to address demand. For some reason many bands are adverse to playing a 3/4 sold out stadium. Why not. If the supply of tickets outstrips demand, scalping will be much less of an issue.
    Post edited by Zod on