the spirit of riot act

wish it didn't seem dead an buried.
remember these guys:
https://youtu.be/q9oiXiMXrqw
https://youtu.be/G1wB5Ut9Xo8
maybe i'm the only one to mention that much of the latest Chicago shows were a self-indulgent mess (yes, including the narcissistic "stoppage", the groping proposal, etc.)
the video boards are nice, but the days of just the rug and candles... even 2013 seems a distant memory:
https://youtu.be/VfcqbsEIn-g
hope they return to "blowing the roof off the dump" in a meaningful way soon...

Comments

• Nice psychological assessment Dr. JA15261 :smirk:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • well, back in the day.... i would have been lambasted.
    that's the point really. not a doctor, but someone who's been with the band a long time long enough to have an insightful opinion.
    they rock, still: given. it used to be more. that's my point.
    or maybe i miss the point and it never was: just always at the whim of Eddie's narcissism.
    maybe i just need to get over the bifurcation of loving a talented, but shallow individual.
    could really give a shit about the Cubs while the world is crumbling, just like it was when PJ put out a prescient album like Riot Act.
    See my point...
    the lack of activity, response on this board itself reveals how irrelevant PJ is making themselves by hollowing-out their music, albums, concerts, etc.
    they raised the bar back with riot act, so when they have nothing to say about war criminals, war mongers, and corporate sycophants like Obama , Trump, and Hillary, then...
    figured the election might elicit a response...
    beyond that, do we really want to see PJ keep rocking out their antiseptic arena rock classics, coupled with some nuevo major sports marketing kitch, like the rolling stones, etc.
    no thanks.
    think neil young.

• RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    I bet you're fun at parties.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • Would hardly call what they've done since Riot Act as hollowed out OP.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,622
    edited November 2016
    I see his point. I've been pondering their lack of direct recognition of the political scene because it's the first time they've remained almost completely silent before an election when there's clearly a shit show happening almost daily.

I understand not wanting to go through the backlash they took during the Riot Act tour, but I expected something. Even breaking out Bushleaguer (maybe with a certain different last name replacing Bush) during their tour. I know many dislike Riot Act, but I think it is a great album and both it and the follow-up brimmed with music in response to what was happening in the world around them. The most recent albums have lacked that relevance besides a few songs.

Music doesn't always need to be groundbreaking, but as much as I hate to say it, when the band is happy the new stuff lacks that punch.

Been listening to the Riot Act Tour a lot these days.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I might be in the minority but I think it's an interesting conversation... I love Riot Act...

Avocado had balls and plenty of political/social commentary... so I disagree with the OP on that one

Backspacer had ZERO balls and almost no political/social commentary to speak of... agree with the OP on this one

Lightning Bolt has some balls and plenty of political/social commentary... I was so happy to hear MYM as the lead single and Getaway as the lead track... as a PJ fan that was starting to feel what the OP is talking about after Backspacer, I really needed those songs, as well as some of the more subtle lyrical content in the album in Yellow Moon, Infallible, etc... disagree with the OP on this album
  • love riot act. and i get what the op is saying and don't completely disagree. neil is in a league of his own so it's tough to compare him to anyone.
  • love riot act. and i get what the op is saying and don't completely disagree. neil is in a league of his own so it's tough to compare him to anyone.

And just because they aren't putting out pissed off politically tinged records doesn't automatically equate to them not caring or being involved in anything. Some of the band's more public involvement since Backspacer have involved other causes outside of politics. The OP's comments are tired in my opinion, & to suggest that the forum is somehow a reflection of a flat, hollowed out fan base is awfully presumptuous. OP have no clue how any of us stay involved in causes near and dear to us (some of which may be championed by the band and some not). Disagree on all points OP shares.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • And if I recall during this last tour Ed mentioned something about not wanting to be washed up in the polarization that this election cycle has caused.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Wrigley 1 definitely had the spirit of Riot Act. That Masters of War performance was unbelievable, followed by I Am a Patriot, followed by Daughter with a WMA/Another Brick in the Wall (please leave your guns at home) tag. That stretch of music was a statement, as was allowing a soldier to propose on stage. I almost forgot encouraging women to be "unfuckwithable" at the end of Betterman while making fun of Whitesnake. Geez, and Gleason introducing Inside Job....come on!

This band can't win with some of the fans. If they let their music and charitable works speak for themselves, they are not taking a big enough stand. If they talk politics at a show, people yell at them to shut up and play. This guy at Wrigley was screaming every time Ed opened his mouth.

Riot Act - George W. Bush in office, post 9/11
    Avocado - Iraq war going on, plenty of politics - World Wide Suicide, Marker in the Sand, Army Reserve
    Backspacer - Obama is in office, Ed admits to feeling hopeful and being liberated to have fun writing. There are some decent songs on the album, but I agree the PJ's edge has always been part of their brand and it was missing here.
    Lighting Bolt - Probably the most representative (not best) album in their catalog - a bit of everything they do, including the spirit of Riot Act in Mind Your Manners, Getaway, Infallible
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    I was expecting a kiss cam to come out at some point on the screens at Wrigley and Fenway. It had that feeling to it. Those were big, fun parties though. Have to be at those big venues.

Gone are the days where there was some urgency to the shows. 25 years, family, lowered expectations and familiarity will do that.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Riot Act had a good message by the music is subpar to all the other albums. That is my opinion though.

But yeah how has this election not invoked more Riot Act-esque feelings from the band?? Old and complacent?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • AceCoolAceCool Posts: 455
    Well, I still think it's killer.
  • pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    edited November 2016

I was expecting a kiss cam to come out at some point on the screens at Wrigley and Fenway. It had that feeling to it. Those were big, fun parties though. Have to be at those big venues.

Gone are the days where there was some urgency to the shows. 25 years, family, lowered expectations and familiarity will do that.

I completely agree and this is why in some ways I preferred the Hampton show to Greenville. Greenville felt like a huge celebration of their music, which was awesome and experiencing Vs. live was indescribable. However, the noticeable tension in Hampton added a certain edge that I haven't really experienced at a PJ show in a long time. Even though Vedder didn't really say anything controversial during the show, the weird vibe was there. It reminded me of the Riot Act era more than any other recent show I've been to. You could see the crazy look in Eddie's eyes that I hadn't seen in years.
  • well, thank you all. i love the discussion. maybe that's the point.
    lighting bolt is one of my favorites, musically and personally. backspacer: got some said a lot, probably enough in terms of making a direct statement. Are you dropping bombs, are you getting out? About as direct as you can be despite then overall tenor of the album.
    WTF do Whitesnake and Gleason have to do with political awareness and salient music: nothing, spare me.
    Excuse me but PJ used to be the band you turned to in order to hear anything relevant, while still rocking out.
    That's the point right? The music is immense, beautiful. Yet is still has relevance, a meaning, a statement.
    Keep trying to separate the two and see how far that gets anyone...

• Pearl Jam doesn't have to prove shit to anyone.
  • you're right. i don't, you don't, and neither does PJ.
    but they've chosen to prove something haven't they? and they have a voice, don't they? or you or I wouldn't give two shits about their music would we? you can't separate giving a shit from loving their music. it's problematic.
    "who you are". PJ has "proven" to me many times, I want it to continue. if it's just musical for you, fine. They've cast that stone of caring, and it can't be taken back, thankfully. ignoring it is problematic. Proving something, or anything, is minimalist. PJ, you, and I objectively feel there is move to prove: more to life.

• JA15261 said:

you're right. i don't, you don't, and neither does PJ.
    but they've chosen to prove something haven't they? and they have a voice, don't they? or you or I wouldn't give two shits about their music would we? you can't separate giving a shit from loving their music. it's problematic.
    "who you are". PJ has "proven" to me many times, I want it to continue. if it's just musical for you, fine. They've cast that stone of caring, and it can't be taken back, thankfully. ignoring it is problematic. Proving something, or anything, is minimalist. PJ, you, and I objectively feel there is move to prove: more to life.

I hear you buddy.
    They still convey a message of caring just w/ out the sense of urgency of anger in their music.
    Pearl Jam uses their words and any one who truly listens to them understands it.
    The Riot Act Days are long gone for them musically but lyrically Pearl Jam is here to stay.
    Pearl Jam has earned the right to do as they please.
  • Well, certainty is at once comforting, amusing, and ignorant.
    Caring about others is the most dangerous thing one can do in this world; urgency hardly seems the culprit.
    The grandeur you have appointed yourself as prognosticator of those who "truly listen", "understand", and know what's "here to stay".
    If Pearl Jam, you, or I have "earned the right" given the decrepit state of the world and music, then we should go fuck ourselves.