Options

To Whom It May Concern --HARTFORD

intothewild14intothewild14 Posts: 19
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Hey all,

It is the morning after and I feel I need to let everyone know exactly how awful hartford and all of the staff and police were. I arrived at 830. I worked from 7-5 drove through rush hour traffic to have a cop tell me, maybe this wasnt an opportune evening for me to see a show! What happened was I walked up to the ten club window and was blocked. THey said this is exit only. And i look at the line which was ridiculous. I said to the girl, who is your boss, theres something wrong, I have been to many shows, someone needs to know about this. She said we are assessing the situation. The amount of police was totally un needed. I counted hundreds of cops, all with bad attitudes. THe worst of which came up to me and said Sir what is your problem. So i said hi, nice to meet you. And she goes you need to step back. So i said well I was just saying hi and wondering what was going on. She pushes me back. I am 220 lbs. I was shocked. So i said, what is going on here. She goes sir if you want tix step to the side. So i said well you are all doing a horrible job I have been to many shows and its never been like this! She says sir I do not work for the venue, how much have you been drinking? So i said what does that have to do with anything! I was not drunk at all! She said sir, I will put you in hand cuffs. ANd im like what are you talking about. Now let me say, Im a teacher, Im in the international educational honor society, I gave her no lip! So then she goes what time did you arrive and i said eight thirty, and she goes I find that hard to believe!!! I said are you questioning my honesty! And she goes sir, If you want to be placed in handcuffs I can do that for you. And I walked away. We got in. What a disgrace. Hartford Police, go to NYC and learn how real cops treat people. You all suck, you should be disgraced with yourself. Your job is to protect and serve the people! You failed us all! Fuck you!! WMA TONIGHT PLEASE!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Hey all,

It is the morning after and I feel I need to let everyone know exactly how awful hartford and all of the staff and police were. I arrived at 830. I worked from 7-5 drove through rush hour traffic to have a cop tell me, maybe this wasnt an opportune evening for me to see a show! What happened was I walked up to the ten club window and was blocked. THey said this is exit only. And i look at the line which was ridiculous. I said to the girl, who is your boss, theres something wrong, I have been to many shows, someone needs to know about this. She said we are assessing the situation. The amount of police was totally un needed. I counted hundreds of cops, all with bad attitudes. THe worst of which came up to me and said Sir what is your problem. So i said hi, nice to meet you. And she goes you need to step back. So i said well I was just saying hi and wondering what was going on. She pushes me back. I am 220 lbs. I was shocked. So i said, what is going on here. She goes sir if you want tix step to the side. So i said well you are all doing a horrible job I have been to many shows and its never been like this! She says sir I do not work for the venue, how much have you been drinking? So i said what does that have to do with anything! I was not drunk at all! She said sir, I will put you in hand cuffs. ANd im like what are you talking about. Now let me say, Im a teacher, Im in the international educational honor society, I gave her no lip! So then she goes what time did you arrive and i said eight thirty, and she goes I find that hard to believe!!! I said are you questioning my honesty! And she goes sir, If you want to be placed in handcuffs I can do that for you. And I walked away. We got in. What a disgrace. Hartford Police, go to NYC and learn how real cops treat people. You all suck, you should be disgraced with yourself. Your job is to protect and serve the people! You failed us all! Fuck you!! WMA TONIGHT PLEASE!!
    99% of cops are fucking assholes and semi-retarded. That's just how it goes. Too bad so many showed up for a fucking concert....what a shame.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Hartford sucks. Really, it might be the shittiest town in the entire country.

Hartford is where, just recently, and elderly man was hit hard by two cars traveling in the wrong lane, sent flying head over feet, and was laying motionless on the road, and the people on the streets just stood and stared. Some even just kept walking. It took a disgustingly long time for people to react, and this was a man's life!! I don't expect people to become ad-hoc paramedics, but stop traffic, and check up on the poor guy. There was like people 5-10 right there. All of this was caught on tape. It was just sickening. It is a just miserable place. Even people who live in Hartford would probably admit this, but they wouldn't care.
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Hartford sucks. Really, it might be the shittiest town in the entire country.

Hartford is where, just recently, and elderly man was hit hard by two cars traveling in the wrong lane, sent flying head over feet, and was laying motionless on the road, and the people on the streets just stood and stared. Some even just kept walking. It took a disgustingly long time for people to react, and this was a man's life!! I don't expect people to become ad-hoc paramedics, but stop traffic, and check up on the poor guy. There was like people 5-10 right there. All of this was caught on tape. It was just sickening. It is a just miserable place. Even people who live in Hartford would probably admit this, but they wouldn't care.

I saw that! It was just sickening. Makes sense that this happened to a show goer...

I hope the show was so good for you that it made up for the crappy treatment!

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    kcherub wrote:
    I saw that! It was just sickening. Makes sense that this happened to a show goer...

I hope the show was so good for you that it made up for the crappy treatment!

Take care,

it was. i vented my frustration, but i also praised (what I saw of) the show on the Hartford fanview thread. great energy!!
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I live in Manchester (the first town eddie mentioned!) which is 10 minutes outside of Hartford and it is truly a horrible city. I'm not surprised in the least by your story.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    All of this is not surprising to me at all. I lived in CT for 3-4 years and it was such a horrible place to live. Anything you do there gets fucked up.

I went to various shows at this venue and every time in some way the venue effected my experience negatively.

Its a shame that Pearl Jam put on such a great show and in a lot of ways it has been overshadowed by the shitty venue and shitty authorities and the shitty traffic. Again, Im not really surprised.
  • Options
    We can all move on. I just wanted to voice my opinion, and if someone in the band really cares to know, well here you have a thread, that basically says, pearl jam skip hartford and just make it three in boston next time! I love boston, boston cops are like nyc cops, you can actually talk to them! and they can be funny! Tonight will be great. And the show by the band last night was amazing. So many songs for the first time on this tour, and immortality seriously?!? It was all on the venue, had nothing to do with Pearl Jam. We love Pearl Jam! I just would like to say on to tonight! Fuck Hartford!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    Eddie thankd the Hartford police for not harrassing the crowd and then they did just that. WMA for sure.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Best show of the tour, but shitty city and people in the city that were not at the show sucked. Probably because the state is run but idiot corrupt liberals like Senator Dodd.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Best show of the tour, but shitty city and people in the city that were not at the show sucked. Probably because the state is run but idiot corrupt liberals like Senator Dodd.

It's probably been a while since civics class for you, but senators don't actually run the state they're elected from. They work in the federal government, in Washington, D.C.

The politician who runs the state is the governor. In Connecticut, that would be M. Jodi Rell -- a Republican. She took office after her predecessor, John Rowland, resigned during a corruption investigation and later pleaded guilty to tax fraud and mail fraud. Rowland, another Republican, by the way, served 10 months in federal prison.

OK, lesson's over. I'll let you off with no homework this time, but only if you promise to think twice before your next retarded fucking comment.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    mamasanmamasan Posts: 25
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    It's probably been a while since civics class for you, but senators don't actually run the state they're elected from. They work in the federal government, in Washington, D.C.

The politician who runs the state is the governor. In Connecticut, that would be M. Jodi Rell -- a Republican. She took office after her predecessor, John Rowland, resigned during a corruption investigation and later pleaded guilty to tax fraud and mail fraud. Rowland, another Republican, by the way, served 10 months in federal prison.

OK, lesson's over. I'll let you off with no homework this time, but only if you promise to think twice before your next retarded fucking comment.

booya
    charlotte 4.16.2003, atlanta 4.19.2003, wash dc 7.01.2003
    hershey 7.12.2003, toledo 10.02.2004, asheville 10.06.2004
    kissimmee 10.08.2004, wash dc 5.30.2006, lolla 8.05.2007
    west palm beach 6.11.2008, tampa 6.12.2008, columbia 6.16.2008
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    We can all move on. I just wanted to voice my opinion, and if someone in the band really cares to know, well here you have a thread, that basically says, pearl jam skip hartford and just make it three in boston next time! I love boston, boston cops are like nyc cops, you can actually talk to them! and they can be funny! Tonight will be great. And the show by the band last night was amazing. So many songs for the first time on this tour, and immortality seriously?!? It was all on the venue, had nothing to do with Pearl Jam. We love Pearl Jam! I just would like to say on to tonight! Fuck Hartford!

How about if the band wants to skip Hartford next time, focus on Saratoga or Albany, since we got jipped this time (but of course we'll travel) anywhere. :)

I didn't see any of the harrassment from the cops, in fact, we were talking about how cool the Hartford cops were before the band started, they were allowing people to drink beer very openly, actually conversing w/ some while they were drinking. I don't know where or how they would all of a sudden start acting like assholes, but I don't put it past cops in general.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    I'd go back to albany

everything was fine

Ijust dont understand y streets are closed because of a show

and the backward thinking of there is a show so no cabs go to the arena

I stood in the rain forever waiting to get a cab

but other than that

cool

Jeanwah wrote:
    How about if the band wants to skip Hartford next time, focus on Saratoga or Albany, since we got jipped this time (but of course we'll travel) anywhere. :)

I didn't see any of the harrassment from the cops, in fact, we were talking about how cool the Hartford cops were before the band started, they were allowing people to drink beer very openly, actually conversing w/ some while they were drinking. I don't know where or how they would all of a sudden start acting like assholes, but I don't put it past cops in general.
  • Options
    Benzor wrote:
    I live in Manchester (the first town eddie mentioned!) which is 10 minutes outside of Hartford and it is truly a horrible city. I'm not surprised in the least by your story.

was my first time there ,, for a show at least, AMAZING SHOW, but town , police, venue was horrific, hasn't been like that anywhere else i have been thus far.
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    "OK, lesson's over. I'll let you off with no homework this time, but only if you promise to think twice before your next retarded fucking comment." these kinds of comments rub me the wrong way. that was a retarded attempt at being funny that ended up making you sound like a douche bag
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

As I'm not living in the U.S. I'm not a 100% sure, but I think that's not accurate. A senator works for the senate which is part of the legislative power, the government on the other hand is the executive power, i.e. the president and the state departments (is that the right term for the organizations behind i.e. C. Rice?). So there'a a difference which is quite important (checks and balances)...

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise: No homework for you either, enjoy the Mansfield shows...
    Landgraaf 00 Hamburg 00
    Arnhem 06 Antwerp 06 Berlin 06
    Düsseldorf 07 Nijmegen 07

Neil Young And Friends Berlin 95
  • Options
    OatsdadOatsdad Posts: 72
    A senator tries to REPRESENT his/her state, but he/she certainly doesn't "run" it - as already mentioned, that's the governor's domain. Governor = president of a state, so a governor still has to deal with a state legislature.

Governor executes the laws, legislature makes them. US senators like Dodd come up with federal laws, but not state laws. So Dodd tries to do what he thinks is best for his state, but he doesn't have anything to do with running the state or creating CT-specific laws...
  • Options
    HARTFORD SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!! almost as bad as Camden NJ. #1 murder capital in the USA a few years back... I stayed 5 minutes from the venue in Hartford and driving around to CVS to get some toothpaste 2 miles away I hit 32 redlights and saw 26 cops and that is from when I actually started to count....needless Hartford sux.. and should be blown up...I have seen PJ 33 times and 3 times at Hartford and will never go back again.. and I know they don't want me there anyways.....
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Hey all,

You're going to need the cops someday ... maybe to find the guy who stole the "return" key on your computer keyboard ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    first and last time we will be hitting Hartford for a Pearl Jam show.... PJ did a great job Hartford didn't.. Worse 'city' I have EVER been to for so many reasons. Please PJ play 3 shows in Boston next time or play Albany or even Buffalo.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    I hate Hartford. If it wasn't for PJ, I would not go , ever!!!
    I have friends that wont go even for Pj anymore
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    You're going to need the cops someday ... maybe to find the guy who stole the "return" key on your computer keyboard ...

HA!
  • Options
    ardyardy Posts: 53

best post response EVER.

i do love how some people generalize that ALL cops are 'semi-retarded f*cking a$$holes'.....let's hope the day you need to call one, he/she doesn't make that same assumption about you.
    "Can I ask you a question?" (.....you just did.....)