TOTD San Francisco travel advice

CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
edited October 2016 in The Porch
First trip to San Francisco to see TOTD and looking for some advice. Most of these can be answered by travel guides, but locals tend to have better advice; as do like minded Pearl Jam fans. Long post, but if anyone can give advice on any topic, please do:

1. Staying downtown near convention center. Looking at transit maps, BART would almost get me right to my hotel, but my flight lands Wednesday night around midnight. I fly back 6am Saturday morning. I plan on spending Thursday sightseeing. Is BART a good choice over renting a car or taxi, given the late/early arrival times and transportation needs for sightseeing?
2. Given that the show is GA, anyone have experience as to how early people start to line up at the Bill Graham Center? I definitely don't want to be in the back of the room with no rise in the floor, so want to be reasonably close on the floor or in the first few rows of the balcony. I expect that people will line up even earlier than normal. We Pearl Jam fans are a bit more dedicated, so what are you guys thinking?
3. I hear November is pretty nice weather for San Francisco. Jacket weather mostly. Is that correct? There will be some late nights, so is a coat recommended?
4. For sightseeing, what do you recommend. Since it's only one day, I don't want to spend all day in one spot. Where will I get the most bang for my buck- where I can I get an idea of what San Francisco is really about?
5. Food: I'm not a foodie and believe dining has gotten extremely pretentious. But I like to eat well, It just doesn't have to be some weird menu with crazy foams and reductions, etc. good food, good atmosphere. Same for bars. Don't need 1000 beers to choose from and I'm not sophisticated enough to tell the difference in them. Good, fun atmosphere will do.
6. Lastly, anyone go to Beach Blanket Babylon? I've heard good things. Is it worth it?
Post edited by CW55354 on

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614
    Go down to the Pier, see Alcatraz if you can.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm no SF expert, but I went to the Pearl Jam shows at the Bill Graham in 2006. Long time ago now, but I remember lining up at least an hour or so before the doors opened and I was not close to the front of the line. Not a problem for me because I didn't want to be on the floor anyway and was able to get good seats all three nights.

Weather in SF is always nice and cool. There's that famous Mark Twain line, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." It will definitely be chilly in November at night because it's chilly in June at night!

I agree with kramer73 go to Alcatraz since you can also hit the Pier. I toured the Giants park during the off season which was fun too, but I'm a baseball fanatic so that might not be your thing.

Bill Graham is right on the edge of a part of the city called the Tenderloin which is pretty rough. Like I said, I went to all 3 nights of Pearl Jam and didn't have a problem, but like any big city be smart. Again, I'm not a SF vet, so things may have changed.

Hope you have fun! I really liked the venue.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    For a nice walk start at Haight & Masonic and head west to the ocean. You will tour Haight-Ashbury :mrgreen: Golden Gate Park :rose: and Ocean Beach :hang_loose:

Also:
    Baker Beach
    Lands End
    Twin Peaks – view

North Beach – neighborhood –> Italian food
    China Town (strongly suggest Chinese food here)
    Just about any small independent Mexican restaurant
    Swan Oyster Depot for fresh sea food. Diner (counter seating), but $$$

The Golden State Warriors play a home game in Oakland on Sunday. Raiders have a bye and the 49ers are away.

Add to above post: locals wear layers of clothing all day because you just never know from minute to minute. And rain in November if we’re lucky.

Hope this helps.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,011
    I m no expert on SF anymore, used to live there, but got smart and moved to the East Bay. I do have some advice.

1. I've never taken BART to or from the airport, but check the schedules. They do not run 24 hours. I would taxi/uber/Lyft or airport shuttle. DO NOT RENT A CAR, unless you plan on driving up to wine country. Parking and driving in the city can be a fucking nightmare with very little parking, no left turns, and one way streets. I once drove around for twenty minutes just trying to park within a two block radius of my apartment in the Mission Dolores area. I would take BART, taxi, or walk around the city.

2. I don't know what the lines will be like. I know that the times I have been to Bill Graham I have hated it. I'm hoping things have changed.

3. Weather should be fine, but you never know in SF. Bring a light jacket and you should be good, unless you plan on lining up for a dumb amount of time.

4. Sightseeing enjoyment kinda depends on where you're from and what you've experienced. I wouldn't personally spend my one day going to Alcatraz. The Wharf can be cool in a touristy way. Make sure to walk over to Ghiradelli Square and get famous Irish coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe. North Beach has some places pretty important to the Beat movement like Specs, City Lights bookstore, Vesuvio's, and is also right next to Chinatown for an easy walking adventure. Haight Street coujld be interesting mostly because it has Amoeba Records and some funky shops. It also ends at Golden Gate Park, which can provide a lot of wandering time. One thing I will warn you about is that public restrooms can be tough to find unless you are dining or drinking somewhere. If you're feeling really adventurous, that's when I'd rent a car for the day and drive up the coast for beautiful views and oysters or up to Sonoma or Napa for wine tasting.

5. So many choices for food and it would depend on what kind of food you like. I am admittedly a little out of touch with current food places there. I would probably Yelp that. As for drinking establishments, Smuggler's Cove is definitely something to be experienced.smugglerscovesf.com/ The decor and drinks are top notch. Long list of cocktails and great staff. It can get crowded there, so go at opening or later in the night(after the show), if you can. It is walkable from Bill Graham. Also, if you like gin, there is Whitechapel whitechapelsf.com/. which has surprisingly got me to like gin. The interior is beautiful and intricate. This is also easy walking to/from Bill Graham. I already mentioned Specs and Vesuvio's in North Beach. Lots of other places all around the city, especially in the Mission area, which can be reached via 16th St. BART station.

6. Can't help you there. Not my thing.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    Thanks, guys! Awesome advice. Lots of ideas to look into to keep me occupied while I'm waiting for the trip. Forgot about Amoeba records. I'm going to have to leave room in my luggage for records now. Thank you all and keep the advice coming.