Bootleg Question for you Audio Experts!

I have an odd question.. I think.

Does anyone know how to fiddle with the bootleg levels? Specifically, I'm looking to boost the crowd feed. I LOVED the show and the crowd singing particularly is what made it such a special show for me! (for reference I'm talking Winnipeg from Sept of '05). I would love to be able to boost the crowd level a bit but have no idea how. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Not possible
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

I have an odd question.. I think.

Does anyone know how to fiddle with the bootleg levels? Specifically, I'm looking to boost the crowd feed. I LOVED the show and the crowd singing particularly is what made it such a special show for me! (for reference I'm talking Winnipeg from Sept of '05). I would love to be able to boost the crowd level a bit but have no idea how. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Maybe, find a good Audience recording.
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    maybe...if you had a really good filter/parametric eq of some kind. Hardware or software based. Pull out a range of frequency (start around 800hz to 3 or 4khz, and sweep through there) that has a good representation of crowd noise and record it to a separate sound file. Then mix it together with the original so you don't loose the sound of the rest of the mix. If you simply mess with the one track, you'll lose something in the vocal and/or instrument mix.

Likewise, if you found a good fan recording, you could mix it in with the official boot. But the sync would have to be perfect to not get a delay or cancellation.

This assumes you would know how to use some sound software. I'm sure you could get your hands on an older version of Adobe Audition pretty cheap or free. I've usually worked the other way around, to try and get rid of an annoying frequency, but it works the other way too. If you want more detailed tips, lmk!
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    PJinIL said:

maybe...if you had a really good filter/parametric eq of some kind. Hardware or software based. Pull out a range of frequency (start around 800hz to 3 or 4khz, and sweep through there) that has a good representation of crowd noise and record it to a separate sound file. Then mix it together with the original so you don't loose the sound of the rest of the mix. If you simply mess with the one track, you'll lose something in the vocal and/or instrument mix.

Likewise, if you found a good fan recording, you could mix it in with the official boot. But the sync would have to be perfect to not get a delay or cancellation.

This assumes you would know how to use some sound software. I'm sure you could get your hands on an older version of Adobe Audition pretty cheap or free. I've usually worked the other way around, to try and get rid of an annoying frequency, but it works the other way too. If you want more detailed tips, lmk!

Unless you are a trained audio engineer I doubt anyone else could do this and it sound good. Just my thoughts.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Why not found an audioboot and mix that into it a bit?

The lack of crowds on the later boots are a moodkiller.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"