Lightning Bolt Red Vinyl Question

What's the difference between the white and black replacement sleeves and the significance?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited September 2016

What's the difference between the white and black replacement sleeves and the significance?

No significance. Just different coloured sleeves really. The only thing that might have caused that is that I think 10C sent some of the replacements out, and the manufacturer sent some of them. Meaningless as far as the vinyl goes though.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Replacement RED vinyl versions were sent in the White sleeve, while the replacement regular versions were sent in the black sleeve.
    edited September 2016
    MedozK said:

Replacement RED vinyl versions were sent in the White sleeve, while the replacement regular versions were sent in the black sleeve.

Oh, yeah. My red replacements were in white sleeves and my black came in the black sleeve. Sorry, I just assumed by the thread title that the OP knew that the red vinyl came in both coloured sleeves, so figured if that was the case then no difference since there was only one red replacement pressing. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • were any of the original non replacement vinyl on red?
    i ordered LB (probably even pre ordered it) from 10c when it came out. it is still sealed. is there any chance this is red?
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    A sealed copy of LB... Hopefully that's not your retirement savings plan.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • were any of the original non replacement vinyl on red?
    i ordered LB (probably even pre ordered it) from 10c when it came out. it is still sealed. is there any chance this is red?

If you ordered it from 10C there is a chance it is red. Open and find out. :wink:
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281

were any of the original non replacement vinyl on red?

There is a chance that it is red. There is a chance that it has pretty bad manufacturing flaws. There is no chance that you can now get a better quality red replacement, since there was a limited time to ask for replacements.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    edited September 2016
    PP193448 said:

were any of the original non replacement vinyl on red?

There is a chance that it is red. There is a chance that it has pretty bad manufacturing flaws. There is no chance that you can now get a better quality red replacement, since there was a limited time to ask for replacements.
    Indeed. Although FYI, I got 2 original reds, and both were listenable. They did have some pops, but nothing so huge they weren't listenable. I did get replacements for them since they were still more flawed than one should reasonably expect when they buy a new record, but since both replacements were also red, I gave the originals to a couple of people because they weren't so flawed they couldn't be spun. So if you open your original up and find a red disc (or a black one, for that matter, although they had more issues I think), just because you can't get a replacement anymore it doesn't mean that you don't have something reasonably decent to play. I definitely suggest you open it. Because of the rare variants you'll want to find out what you have! The black ones will never be worth anything, and the red ones are only worth something if you open it and know what you've got. :)
  • Thanks for the replies. I saw one on the World Wide Web I was considering purchasing and wanted to know what the difference was. Thanks.
  • EnzedEnzed Posts: 487
    Interestingly enough, I found the request for a replacement email I had drafted in my draft items about 3 weeks ago. I thought what the hell, and I sent it off. After a day or so, and confirming I had purchased it from the ten club, a pristine full version arrived. Not just sleeves, but the whole package.

This is like years later.

Black vinyl, mind you.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Wow! That is awesome!
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    Enzed said:

Interestingly enough, I found the request for a replacement email I had drafted in my draft items about 3 weeks ago. I thought what the hell, and I sent it off. After a day or so, and confirming I had purchased it from the ten club, a pristine full version arrived. Not just sleeves, but the whole package.

Black vinyl, mind you.

Really?? Sweet!! :triumph:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    edited September 2016
    Enzed said:

Black vinyl, mind you.

I got a red one last year, but I had to tell them in my email that I had a red one. I guess they default to black, but have red one's if you ask.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • I originally got a red one, emailed them that I wanted a replacement and that it was red, and got a black replacement one in the mail :(

Never really got over that, lol.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.

I originally got a red one, emailed them that I wanted a replacement and that it was red, and got a black replacement one in the mail :(

Never really got over that, lol.

Bummer. :( Maybe in all the craziness of that "recall" they made a mistake? Or ran out of red replacements or something? I also requested 2 replacements for 2 red ones, and they sent me two red replacements. I think a lot of people said the same at the time.