TICKET SCALPERS - IRON MAIDEN CHANGE THE WAY SELL TICKETS FOR PROTECT THEIR FANS

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-announces-extensive-plans-to-protect-fans-from-ticket-piracy-profiteering-and-counterfeiting/

British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN, whose first major U.K. arena tour for six years will be announced on Friday, September 23, have gone to great lengths to ensure their fans are able to buy tickets at the intended price rather than at the ludicrously inflated prices prevalent on many secondary ticketing sites and also to protect them against counterfeit tickets.

MAIDEN manager Rod Smallwood explains: "We do not want our fans being ripped off either by counterfeit tickets or through costly mark-ups on so-called secondary ticketing web sites. These problems now affect the U.K. more than any other country outside of the U.S.A. We believe the most successful way to prevent this is by implementing paperless ticketing. This proved highly successful in reducing piracy at our previous London shows in 2013 and on our North American tours since 2010. This is a simple procedure and goes a long way to minimizing the resale of tickets and reducing fraud by requiring the original cardholder purchaser to be present at entry.

"We have been working with our U.K. promoter Live Nation and Ticketmaster to ensure that we can operate a paperless ticketing system, in full or in part, at all the U.K. venues we'll play in 2017. We are also instigating a number of additional measures which we believe will directly help our fans to access tickets in the fairest, safest way and at the intended price."

The actions being put in place for 2017 are:

* Ensuring that every venue will operate paperless ticketing, either 100% or partial.
* Working in co-operation with Live Nation and Ticketmaster, paperless ticketing means that the original cardholder is required to present their debit or credit card and photographic ID at the point of entry with their guest(s).
* Setting conditions of purchase so that tickets are not for resale. Ensuring to the best of our abilities, in conjunction with Live Nation and Ticketmaster, that secondary ticketing sites are prevented from listing our shows and to invalidate tickets should any appear on these secondary sites.
* Setting a maximum limit of 4 (four) tickets per person per show.
* To use purchaser names on tickets where they are not paperless and to require the cardholder to be present at the show, with picture ID.
* A dedicated team to monitor ticket sales in real-time throughout the exclusive IRON MAIDEN Fan Club pre-sale, any other presales and the general public on sale to ensure that ticket limits are being imposed and all suspicious activity is reported and investigated.
* A dedicated customer support team on hand to deal with any issues from fans with legitimate problems.
* Being aware of criminals and their methods to infiltrate our best practices and having the conviction to retrospectively cancel their inventory. This is especially in respect of automated bots and multiple card efforts which are used to garner large numbers of tickets at the onsale to the detriment of the fans.
* Reinforcing the message that if you buy a ticket from an unauthorised source, it will be either invalid or counterfeit. Do not become a victim.

IRON MAIDEN has long been active in combatting the abuse of secondary ticketing web sites; specifically the individuals and businesses who use digital platforms to immediately snap up and re-sell tickets at vastly inflated prices, denying the genuine fan a fair chance to purchase at face value. The band supports The Fanfair Alliance which unites music businesses, artists and fans against ticket touting and profiteering in the online secondary market.

Nigel Adams, MP, chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Music and Member of Parliament for Selby and Ainsty, adds: "I'm pleased that IRON MAIDEN are taking a principled position and standing up for music fans. I'd like to think the whole industry can learn from this initiative and use technology to put a stop to the industrial level of touting that has been a blight on the live music industry for so long."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-announces-extensive-plans-to-protect-fans-from-ticket-piracy-profiteering-and-counterfeiting/#rOSRZT20mJXdvtRT.99
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Comments

• I like this, screw the scalpers!
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Sounds good, but I will miss having a hard copy ticket honestly
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • but aren't live nation and ticketmaster complicit in the secondary market? I thought they owned many of those sites.

Chad Smith of RHCP posted on twitter yesterday "scalpers suck!!!".
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 729
    I was at the first show of Maidens most recent tour at the BBT center in Ft. Lauderdale in February and the fan club ticketless entry was a fucking nightmare! The arena was totally unprepared for the ticketless entry. Evidently there was some problem with the scanners that they use to swipe your credit card and print out your ticket. So they opened the doors about 45 min late and when they did start letting people in it was at a snails pace because after going thru the normal security it took extra time to print the tickets. This resulted in a huge crowd outside the venue waiting to get in. Then it started to pour rain and there was no where to get under cover so we all got soaked. Once we finally got in and past security we had to look around for someone with a working scanner to print out the tickets. By the time we finally got our tickets the opening band was already off the stage, the merchandise lines were huge so there wasn't even time to buy a dry shirt before we had to get to our seats as the Maiden was getting ready to go on stage. I was really surprised that all of the drunk Maiden fans didn't crash the gates when the rain started, it could have been a really bad situation. The other crazy thing was that anybody could have walked into the arena without even having a ticket because once you got past security you were already in the building and it was a free for all at that point and you could go anywhere in the building without anyone to stop you.

I did also use ticketless entry for the PJ show and Denver and there were no serious issues however it did slow down the entry process significantly.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • Seeing Green Day in Columbus next Monday with ticketless entry - slightly concerned that entry will be a cluster but it is a small venue that will ease things a good deal
  • The idea I like the most is the buyer's name printed on the ticket. You get the ticket for a souvenir and you make it a lot more difficult for the scalper. I have my doubts about "invalidating" tickets that are posted on secondary sites. How are they going to do this when the ticket sellers also own their own scalping sites?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    PJINFLA said:

I was at the first show of Maidens most recent tour at the BBT center in Ft. Lauderdale in February and the fan club ticketless entry was a fucking nightmare! The arena was totally unprepared for the ticketless entry. Evidently there was some problem with the scanners that they use to swipe your credit card and print out your ticket. So they opened the doors about 45 min late and when they did start letting people in it was at a snails pace because after going thru the normal security it took extra time to print the tickets. This resulted in a huge crowd outside the venue waiting to get in. Then it started to pour rain and there was no where to get under cover so we all got soaked. Once we finally got in and past security we had to look around for someone with a working scanner to print out the tickets. By the time we finally got our tickets the opening band was already off the stage, the merchandise lines were huge so there wasn't even time to buy a dry shirt before we had to get to our seats as the Maiden was getting ready to go on stage. I was really surprised that all of the drunk Maiden fans didn't crash the gates when the rain started, it could have been a really bad situation. The other crazy thing was that anybody could have walked into the arena without even having a ticket because once you got past security you were already in the building and it was a free for all at that point and you could go anywhere in the building without anyone to stop you.

I did also use ticketless entry for the PJ show and Denver and there were no serious issues however it did slow down the entry process significantly.

There will undoubtedly be issues to start but if this becomes the norm the glitches will be ironed out.
  • Eroom21Eroom21 Posts: 109
    That would be a lot of people trying to pickup their tickets at thesame time at the box office.
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    edited September 2016
    Tickletless entry works fine for Garth Brooks shows. He only does it for the lower bowl and main floor seats though. So it might be worse if the whole arena is ticketless. It does suck losing the option of selling or giving your tickets away if something comes up in life and you can't go. Nobody can telegraph what life will throw in front of them 3-6 months later.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818

Chad Smith of RHCP posted on twitter yesterday "scalpers suck!!!".

yeah a lot of people got shut out for those tickets yesterday and in some cases those shows sold out in seconds

• ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    Given that 10's of thousands of people can order simutaneously, I think concerts will sell out in seconds regardless if its scalpers doing the orders or regular people. It's not like the 90's where people got into a queue and lined up. Everything happens at the same time.

That being said I like what Iron Maiden is doing. PJ's system is pretty good too. All the best tickets only going to fan club members who have to pick up their tickets in person day of the show. That makes it hard (but not impossible) to scalp. The paperless tickets thing is awesome except that the stub it prints out looks like crap. If they could make the printers give you a proper stub at the show, I'd be that much more enthusiastic about it. I realize people counterargue that your f'd if you can't make the show. I've missed 3 or 4 shows in the last 20 years due to illness or more import things I had to go to. I'd gladly pay the price of eating those tickets, if it completely cut scalpers out of the equation.
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    Up the Irons!
    NYPJ
  • paperless for lower bowl and any reserved floor tickets ONLY is a no brainer. so weird Pj can't figure it out and yet ed's buddy bruce does...