Options

PJ...The last great American band

ArcmasterArcmaster Posts: 36
edited February 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
So, a co-worker and I were talking the other day and after much thought came to the realization that Pearl Jam is in fact the last great American band.

We could not come up with another band with the success or following that Pearl Jam has sustained.

Anyone think of any American bands since Pearl Jam hint the scene?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    couldnt agree more.
    waelcome to the board!!

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    ive said this to myself so many times. i agree 100%, there is no other band. PJ is going to be our led zep/rolling stones or whatever 20 years down the road. i have a guitar world mag thats a tribute to PJ, (the entire issue is all pj) and on the cover it says " celebrating 15 years of americas most important band."
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    ive said this to myself so many times. i agree 100%, there is no other band. PJ is going to be our led zep/rolling stones or whatever 20 years down the road. i have a guitar world mag thats a tribute to PJ, (the entire issue is all pj) and on the cover it says " celebrating 15 years of americas most important band."

Thats cool I didnt know guitar world did that. I wish I had that issue.
    But yeah I would have to agree. I mean theres DMB that has the following but they arnt really rock. And I dont think they will last as long as pearl jam does in the long run (right now they have both been around and touring just about as long.)
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    If Nickelback were American... ;)
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Arcmaster wrote:
    So, a co-worker and I were talking the other day and after much thought came to the realization that Pearl Jam is in fact the last great American band.

We could not come up with another band with the success or following that Pearl Jam has sustained.

I MUCH prefer PJ, but...

RHCP, R.E.M?
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    Pegasus wrote:
    I MUCH prefer PJ, but...

RHCP, R.E.M?

Yes, I'd say those two are great as well, and still have a great following (and a history behind them as well)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    but PJ is, of those three bands, the only one that´s been always working hard since the beginning...pj has produced music every god damn year since 1991, more than 15 years with no "rest" or "temporary breakdown", u know...there wasnt any crisis (the dave a affair, the ticket master affair, the roskilde tragedy, mike´s health and addiction issues) that made them stop making music for more than a couple of months....that must be a guiness record....
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    you mean Red Hot Chili Peppers??? I am sorry but you can't put them in the same category, they are the most known "hasbeens" and the biggest sellouts around...just think about what they have done after One Hot Minute (and even Californication): simply nothing groundbreaking, just the same dull/pathetic By the Way type of songs. Shame on them!

R.E.M. musically unfortunately kinda lost it after Bill Berry's departure however they are still one of my fav live acts around.
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Arcmaster wrote:

the best band ever
    danny d
  • Options
    Arcmaster wrote:

I was thinking this very same thing last night. I'm from the UK and there's no band over here of the last 20 years as good/relevant as pearl jam. They are a unique band because they are the only guys around today who are as good as any of those 'classic' rock bands.
  • Options
    How about Tom Petty, not american? or Tool.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Ricsard wrote:
    you mean Red Hot Chili Peppers??? I am sorry but you can't put them in the same category, they are the most known "hasbeens" and the biggest sellouts around...just think about what they have done after One Hot Minute (and even Californication): simply nothing groundbreaking, just the same dull/pathetic By the Way type of songs. Shame on them!

R.E.M. musically unfortunately kinda lost it after Bill Berry's departure however they are still one of my fav live acts around.
    I agree on RHCP, but, however WE might not, I'm sure there's plenty of people saying the same kind of thing about PJ.. some of them here even (the shit people are sprouting about S/T :rolleyes: )

I've got a good feeling about REM new album..
  • Options
    SlavkoSlavko Posts: 19
    couldn't agree more...