Facebook... friends???

I have no enemies on Facebook. Once in a while I might disagree with something one of my FB friends says but I never have harsh words with them. But lately I've noticed some of my FB friends have being getting a major ration from some of their "friends". I mean some REALLY harsh shit! I wonder, how did they end up being FB "friends" in the first place and why are they still? It's like, hey didn't you invite them or accept their invitation to be FB friends?

Wow!

Anybody else notice that and or deal with that?

Crazy!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I'm anti-FB for our family, so I don't have that problem at all. (My husband is a county employee and people around here get fired for FB stuff. Not worth it for us.)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Facebook is for 10 year old girls...
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • I deleted mine many years ago and have never looked back.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,523
    an old friend of mine, a good friend, posted something a while back about college rape culture.I made a simple comment about "fear in the news", and she snapped back that I was "part of the problem, and she feels sorry for my daughters".

UNFRIENDED AND BLOCKED.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• I am 4 years, 7 months, and 16 days Facebook free. But I know that's not the point of this thread.

I think the answer lies within Facebook itself. FB (and other forms of social media, but especially FB) has bred a culture of "everyone needs to know my opinion." And the actual media - 24 hour news channels, etc - have bred this culture of extreme polarization. There's almost never an in-between or any type of diplomacy. With the combination of those two things I find most people feel it necessary to take a strong stance on any given issue, post it for everyone to see, and how dare you disagree with them. I know that's a pretty broad generalization, but I feel that's at the core of the harshness we see and read on such outlets.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,523

I am 4 years, 7 months, and 16 days Facebook free. But I know that's not the point of this thread.

I think the answer lies within Facebook itself. FB (and other forms of social media, but especially FB) has bred a culture of "everyone needs to know my opinion." And the actual media - 24 hour news channels, etc - have bred this culture of extreme polarization. There's almost never an in-between or any type of diplomacy. With the combination of those two things I find most people feel it necessary to take a strong stance on any given issue, post it for everyone to see, and how dare you disagree with them. I know that's a pretty broad generalization, but I feel that's at the core of the harshness we see and read on such outlets.

this is exactly what I experienced. this girl is/was constantly posting about her issue of the day. whenever someone would make a comment that seemed to suggest the world wasn't as horrible as she believes it is, she would attack them.

classic case of housespouse with no job that seriously needs a fucking life.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    FB is what you make it.

I only have music friends there...people that I attend shows with, have met through music or whatever. I click on the little arrow, "see less about ___________"

I have had people friend request me, then delete me later, why should I care? They found something to not agree with me about, so my opinion about something apparently rules above me as a person...good for them, I don;t need people like that in my life.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless