Options

Jimi Hendrix, November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
Forever in our heart.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    A true genius!!!
    U are incredibly lucky to have see him live - I am so jealous of u Brian.....
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    redraw said:

A true genius!!!
    U are incredibly lucky to have see him live - I am so jealous of u Brian.....

Yes, lucky for sure, very lucky. Part of that luck was having a good friend who kept up on what was coming around and got us tickets to the Winterland show in October, 1968, the first of the two times I saw Jimi. Thank you Paul S.!! Also lucky that my folks were cool with it (I was 17- they could have said "no") and drove us up to the city and back.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Ther use to be a video of this actual performance, but no longer. This will have to do:

https://youtu.be/AJw_XqvsSIs
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    edited September 2016
    My boss got to see Jimi in Memphis at Ellis Auditorium in April of '69. It's a great story because he went with a friend who was really into photography so he of course brought his camera. They got to their seats early and the stage was still being set up. His friend said he was going to go up by the stage and take some pictures of the guitars and such and then he'd be back. Well, the show starts and his friend still isn't back yet. About halfway through the show he finally comes back to his seat and my boss is like "Where the hell have you been? You're missing the show!" His friend replies, "Man, you're not gonna believe it. I was right in front of the stage taking pictures and they start letting the actual media members into the pit with me. They never made me leave because I guess they thought I was supposed to be there!"

So, after the show, his friend develops the pictures that he took and kept a set of 8 for himself and gave my boss a set of 8. His friend has since passed away and my boss now has all of the pictures and they have never been released or published in any way. He brought them in one time for me to see. Pretty amazing stuff.
    Post edited by bflynn1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,625
    I just picked up,the 2010 Ladyland release. Its really good, all analoge, although a little bright. I love all the Hendrix that has come out in the last 15 years or so.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

My boss got to see Jimi in Memphis at Ellis Auditorium in April of '69. It's a great story because he went with a friend who was really into photography so he of course brought his camera. They got to their seats early and the stage was still being set up. His friend said he was going to go up by the stage and take some pictures of the guitars and such and then he'd be back. Well, the show starts and his friend still isn't back yet. About halfway through the show he finally comes back to his seat and my boss is like "Where the hell have you been? You're missing the show!" His friend replies, "Man, you're not gonna believe it. I was right in front of the stage taking pictures and they start letting the actual media members into the pit with me. They never made me leave because I guess they thought I was supposed to be there!"

So, after the show, his friend develops the pictures that he took and kept a set of 8 for himself and gave my boss a set of 8. His friend has since passed away and my boss now has all of the pictures and they have never been released or published in any way. He brought them in one time for me to see. Pretty amazing stuff.

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

The first time I saw Jimi was 1968 at Winterland in S.F. I took a handful or two of 35mm slide film shots from not too far back. They too are unpublished and in fact only a few people have seen them so far. Before I get too old I have to figure out what to do with them. They're color slides which is cool but not many places work with slides. Also, the need to be cropped to cut out the fuzzy heads in the bottom of most frames and if possible, editing for better contrast.

• Options
    Forty seven years ago today the news laid me low.  :frowning:

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    brianlux said:
    Well, this just answered what I'm spinning on the record player after work today. I can only imagine how crushing this would have been if I was in my youth during his peak. What a talented musician.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    Well, this just answered what I'm spinning on the record player after work today. I can only imagine how crushing this would have been if I was in my youth during his peak. What a talented musician.
    Me too.  I think I'm going with Jimi Plays the Blues.. one of my favorites.  

• Options
    Does anyone have the Monterey show on vinyl?  It's one of my all time favorite live shows but I haven't got it yet.  Curious as to the quality.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    Does anyone have the Monterey show on vinyl?  It's one of my all time favorite live shows but I haven't got it yet.  Curious as to the quality.
    Mine sounds good. It's interesting to hear how nervous Jimi sounds when he's talking between songs. They pressed a ton of them, so I imagine it's still easy to acquire. 

Love all that he left us. And still get knotted up when I consider all that could have been if he was still with us. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, I have the 2014 Experience Hendrix version.  It's numbered so I don't know if it's been re-issued since then but it's excellent.  Yet as much as it sounds fine, I always miss the visuals you get on the Monterey festival film which has been reissued with better sound (can't remember the year on that one, I'll try to remember to dig it out.)

Nine days ago while doing a book fair in Sacramento this guy I ran into noticed that I had some music books in my booth and we started talking about various shows we had been to back in the day.  It turns out he and I were at the exact same  Hendrix Experience/Buddy Miles/Dino Valente show at Winterland, San Francisco in 1968.  That was a trip!  In all these years I had never run into anyone who was at either Hendrix shows I had attended.  We even remembered a number of the same details, especially,  just before the last song, "Foxy Lady",  Jimi apologizing for several equipment problems during the show. In the middle of that number, he flashed the audience the peace sign and turned on his Marshall stack with his Strat and literally charged/rammed into it and completely thrashed all his gear.  We, of course, went ape shit!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    My original post photo was removed, probably because the heirs don't allow it so here is an image I took at that show at Winterland in 1968 (It's copyrighted so please just enjoy it here, thanks.  There are others that will be in my book when it comes out if I ever get the bugs with the printer folks worked out- hopefully next month):

• Options
    Wow!  You took that photo Brian?  I can't believe you were in SF in 60's.. When I was young I would imagine what it would have been like to have been there.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Wow!  You took that photo Brian?  I can't believe you were in SF in 60's.. When I was young I would imagine what it would have been like to have been there.  
    I did indeed, M!  That and some other photos.  Yeah, I was born in Berkeley and lived just down the peninsula  from the time I was one year old in 1952 into the early 70's (actually lived in S.F. from 1969 to 1973).

A friend of mine told me about the show so we got tickets right away because Hendrix was shooting sky high in popularity then.  We queued up early so as to get up close.  One of my best memories of that show was standing outside Winterland listening to Jimi soundcheck.  His guitar reverberated and soared through that great, empty cavernous venue and the sound was surreal.  I just stood there with goosebumps on my arms.  It was amazing!

There is one rather embarrassing fact about having taken those photos (with my parents Kodak Instamatic loaded with color slide film) and that is that just recently I read that Hendrix was often very perturbed by the the camera flashes of audience members shooting pictures of him.  He said that at times it interfered with his concentration while playing.  I'm sorry, Jimi! 

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    ^  yeah, I've heard that as well (about camera flashes).  I try not to do too many when I go to a show.

Also, man.  The stories you must have!  I always try to pay attention when you post in here.
  • Options
    kramer73 said:
    ^  yeah, I've heard that as well (about camera flashes).  I try not to do too many when I go to a show.

Also, man.  The stories you must have!  I always try to pay attention when you post in here.
    Thanks, Kramer.  Over the last three years I've been working on getting those stories written up and put together as a music related memoir that includes more Hendrix photos and some great Who photos a friend of mine took at the show we went to in San Jose  in 1968.  The thing is hung up badly right now at the printers due to their program glitch but I hope to have the bugs worked out and have it printed by next month.  I know this sounds like shameless self promotion, but I will put it out for sale at cost (actually, by the time I give copies to friends who helped me make this happen I will be running in the red but that's OK.)

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    cutz said:
    Ther use to be a video of this actual performance, but no longer. This will have to do: https://youtu.be/AJw_XqvsSIs
    my favorite Jimi album
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    LukinFan said:
    cutz said:
    Ther use to be a video of this actual performance, but no longer. This will have to do: https://youtu.be/AJw_XqvsSIs
    my favorite Jimi album
    Well, at least that's one of your favorites that you got right.

Go Gators! 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    LukinFan said:
    cutz said:
    my favorite Jimi album
    Was the first Jimi album i got into(my older brother had it), and it's my FAV too.

I actually find a video of Machine Gun from the Fillmore. (Band Of Gypsys)

Oh yeah, dig reading your stories on Jimi Hendrix, Brian. 

Here's the video(It's not quite the full song though. Best i could find):

http://dai.ly/xsw7g

Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    49 years.  Can it really be that long?  Thank you for the amazing music Jimi.  You gave us the best.  R.I.P.

• Options
    Jimi rules... no one ever before, or ever again.  He changed music.  
  • Options
    One of a kind no doubt ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    49 years.  Can it really be that long?  Thank you for the amazing music Jimi.  You gave us the best.  R.I.P.
    mrussel1 said:
    Jimi rules... no one ever before, or ever again.  He changed music.  
    One of a kind no doubt ..
    Agree with all 3 of you guys.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Brian, the original photo you posted back in 2016 seems to no longer be available, I wouldn’t mind seeing it if you get a chance. Thanks.

Castles Made of Sand is probably my favorite song.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Brian, the original photo you posted back in 2016 seems to no longer be available, I wouldn’t mind seeing it if you get a chance. Thanks.

I'm not surprised, Rob.  Hendrix LLC takes down any photos that are not public domain (which is few).  They keep a tight reign on them.  I think I can post this one- it's what I'm wearing today:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:

I'm not surprised, Rob.  Hendrix LLC takes down any photos that are not public domain (which is few).  They keep a tight reign on them.  I think I can post this one- it's what I'm wearing today:

That is awesome damn I like it !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:

That is awesome damn I like it !
    One of my favorites!  I bought a couple of them.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    edited September 2019
    I hope there's a heaven where all our gone rockers jam together...

Anyone check out Indigenous?
    Rocking blues band.
    Dude plays a killer hey joe.

Also tours with big hendrix tribute.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I hope there's a heaven where all our gone rockers jam together...

Anyone check out Indigenous?
    Rocking blues band.
    Dude plays a killer hey joe.

Also tours with big hendrix tribute.
    I hadn't heard of them so looked them up.  Nakota Nation Native Americans fro South Dakota- cool!  American Indians make great music- Robbie Robertson, Link Wray, Buffy Saint Marie, Jesse Ed Davis, and of course Jimi and Willie Nelson having Indian blood.

Thanks for the tip, Loujoe!