Eddie Vedder Joins Concert Across America to End Gun Violence Show

2»

Comments

• URthekey said:

Ed was supposed to come out for the encore. CCRs "who"ll stop the rain" but he split cause of a back injury. Sad face.

That was sad. Overall fun night though! Thankful I got to go!
    That was devastating. Drove from Boston and was hoping for a bit more but still, was just psyched to be there. Hope he is okay :(
    June 16, 2011 - EV in Boston
    September 2, 2012 - Made In America
    October 15, 2013 - Worcester I
    October 16, 2013 - Worcester II
    October 25, 2013 - Hartford
    June 12, 2016 - Bonnaroo
    August 5, 2016 - Fenway I
    August 7, 2016 - Fenway II
    September 25, 2016 - EV in NYC
  • Need more Pearl Jam. Ed solo is getting a little boring.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I thought the show was fabulous. Harlem's Gospel for Teens choir blew my mind. All the musicians were amazing and so passionate for the cause. Very heartfelt. Very proud of Ed for agreeing to do the show. He was clearly brought in last minute to boost ticket sales (Jackson even said Ed sold out the show). I wish there had been some collaborations between Ed and the rest of the musicians, but they probably had no time to rehearse, so it makes sense that Ed didn't join anyone else. I was half-hoping Patti Smith would show up to do a grand finale of People Have the Power with everyone!

I recorded the entire thing :sunglasses:

Oh goodie. Can you transcribe the scrabble joke? lol
  • back injury? sustained during the show, or previous?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

back injury? sustained during the show, or previous?

No details. They were about to do the finale and PJ fans wouldn't stop yelling Ed's name, so Jackson said Ed was supposed to join on the finale, but he has left. And then he said "you wouldn't know it but he is dealing with a back injury" or something to that effect. Ed looked fine to me all weekend (he was still doing his signature jump at the end of songs) so hopefully nothing serious.
  • Suziemay said:

"Another story I read about in the paper... about a woman in New York who was going to divorce her husband after 20 years because he played too much Scrabble. It's all he did, wasn't working anymore, he played on his computer with strangers, anonymous people, on his phone, in the car. So she finally says 'I'm leaving you,' and he's kinda caught unaware and she goes 'the Scrabble, you're obsessed.' And he says 'Obsessed? (holds up finger) That's an 85 point word.' (laughter) That's the first time I've ever tried to tell a joke on stage in 25 years."
    June 16, 2011 - EV in Boston
    September 2, 2012 - Made In America
    October 15, 2013 - Worcester I
    October 16, 2013 - Worcester II
    October 25, 2013 - Hartford
    June 12, 2016 - Bonnaroo
    August 5, 2016 - Fenway I
    August 7, 2016 - Fenway II
    September 25, 2016 - EV in NYC
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    According to setlists.fm I hadn't heard I Am A Patriot solo until last night?!? Thought I heard that one before.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    edited September 2016

Suziemay said:

"Another story I read about in the paper... about a woman in New York who was going to divorce her husband after 20 years because he played too much Scrabble. It's all he did, wasn't working anymore, he played on his computer with strangers, anonymous people, on his phone, in the car. So she finally says 'I'm leaving you,' and he's kinda caught unaware and she goes 'the Scrabble, you're obsessed.' And he says 'Obsessed? (holds up finger) That's an 85 point word.' (laughter) That's the first time I've ever tried to tell a joke on stage in 25 years."
    Thank you! I remembered most of it, even the 85 point word part but for the life of me could not remember the actual word!
    Although that would be the 2nd time, because right before that, he had that line about "where'd all the money your mother spent on music lessons go" :)
  • mcgruff10 said:

demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

demetrios said:

EB218946 said:

What did Edward sing??

Masters Of War
    Don't Be Shy
    I Am A Patriot
    People Have The Power
    was he eddie vedder or a cover band?
    Just ED up on stage.
    I figured that bud. just the lack of original songs was the point of my post.
    It's an anti gun show what did you expect him to sing ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Just remembering another great part of Ed's banter, where he's talking about how the pro-gun folks are saying that gun control is bad for their business and draws a parallel to how bands have essentially been forced to give their music away for close to nothing because people don't buy records anymore and they've had to evolve so these gun makers should too. Something like that.
  • pjallipjalli Posts: 131
    Suziemay said:

Just remembering another great part of Ed's banter, where he's talking about how the pro-gun folks are saying that gun control is bad for their business and draws a parallel to how bands have essentially been forced to give their music away for close to nothing because people don't buy records anymore and they've had to evolve so these gun makers should too. Something like that.

here is my video of it! loved his speeches, and obvs wish the music piece was longer...
    https://youtu.be/VgtgeJal5uo
  • URthekey said:

Ed was supposed to come out for the encore. CCRs "who"ll stop the rain" but he split cause of a back injury. Sad face.

That was sad. Overall fun night though! Thankful I got to go!
    Bummer about his back but so glad you made it, Jen!! :smile:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403

mcgruff10 said:

demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

demetrios said:

EB218946 said:

What did Edward sing??

Masters Of War
    Don't Be Shy
    I Am A Patriot
    People Have The Power
    Just ED up on stage.
    some pearl jam songs..something he wrote solo. not four cover songs.
    at the tibetan freedom concert in 98 they didn't cover the latest tibetan hits.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504
    edited September 2016

mcgruff10 said:

demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

demetrios said:

EB218946 said:

What did Edward sing??

Masters Of War
    Don't Be Shy
    I Am A Patriot
    People Have The Power
    Just ED up on stage.
    glorified g. slow, acoustic, and with the whole choir of course. haha
  • rssesqrssesq Posts: 3,299
    sorta glad I sold my tix last minute and spent the night at the festa. I think I paid $10 to see him at MSG for the Nader rally.
  • According to setlists.fm I hadn't heard I Am A Patriot solo until last night?!? Thought I heard that one before.

You probably heard Ed do the song during pre-sets back in 2003 and 2004. There was a kick-ass version that Ed and Matt would do back on the 2003 tour I think. The current punk version is not to my liking but I'm sure others like it.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    https://pearljam.com/news/eddie-vedder-performs-at-first-ever-concert-across-america-to-end-gun-violence

Eddie Vedder Performs at First-Ever Concert Across America to End Gun Violence
    News September 28 2016

The first-ever Concert Across America to end gun violence featured more than 5,225 artists at 350 musical events on September 25. The goals of this historic concert series were twofold: to remember victims of gun violence and to make ending gun violence a voting issue in November.

Eddie Vedder was among the performers at the Beacon Theater location and had this to say during his 4-song performance:

"Together we have power. If we rise to the challenge to unite and support sensible gun violence prevention measures in our cities and our towns, then we have the power to save lives. Let's use our power for good."

Artists who performed on September 25th include Jackson Browne, Rosanne Cash, Vy Higginsen’s Gospel Choir of Harlem, the Gay Men’s Choir of Los Angeles, Moby, Joan Osborne, and many more.

For more information on these concerts and what you can do to end gun violence, go to: http://concertacrossamerica.org

#ConcertAcrossAmerica to #EndGunViolence
    Photo credit: Jeff Neira
    Eddie Vedder at Beacon Theatre, September 25, 2016

• weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited September 2016
    I love Joan Osborne madly since standing in the shadows on motown was released and for any music lovers who have not seen that dvd check it out. TOP SHELF STUFF. Then she joinrd the dead tour. whats not to love? and people who buy tickets to these things just to see ed are super funny...
    Post edited by weddingparade on

I love Joan Osborne madly since standing in the shadows on motown was released and for any music lovers who have not seen that dvd check it out. TOP SHELF STUFF. Then she joinrd the dead tour. whats not to love? and people who buy tickets to these things just to see ed are super funny...

Joan Osbourne was fantastic!
  • i knew it.