Options

Fenway > Wrigley

Comments

• Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415

Having been at both Fenway shows I would say the first night as a whole was better but I think everyone was so blown away by the second encore on night 2 that it is getting more love. I loved the setlist night 1 from top to bottom.

I'd say the opening for Fenway night 1 was way more special (for me anyway)...Release, ect...to the 3 Yield songs in a row was maybe the best experience I've ever had at a PJ show. I'd also go with Fenway #1 having the best 1st encore of the four shows(Strangest Tribe, Society), and probably the best Evenflow I've ever seen or heard.
    However, the 2nd night's finale was exceptionally fucking awesome.

Every one of these four shows had their highlights for each of us
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I think all the non music factors have to go to Wrigley here.

-Nobody got drugged at Wrigley
    -setting wise Wrigley is just prettier than Fenway, Fenway is a nice park (been there for a sox game), but Wrigley is the most beautiful stadium I've ever set foot in (not the bathrooms tho). And this is coming from a Packers fan (Phillies fan baseball-wise).
    -Rain stopping right before the first show, and then having perfect weather all weekend couldn't have been scripted better.

Was very surprised how fantastic the sound was in the 400 levels, so much better than Milwaukee and probably one of the best if not the best sound I've had at a show. I can't say how it was everywhere in the stadium or how it was in Fenway, just thought that was an interesting tidbit.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    IMO Fenway was better, was at both. But I wouldn't care if they released video of the worst show. I'm just dying fir an official video release. Long overdue.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Was at Fenway 2 and wrigley 1. Also attended hob so I feel like I attended Fenway 1 too. Every single show had moments that made IT the best.

Just like every other PJ show. That's why we follow them around.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    yah the Wrigley's were awesome but might of been even awesomer if the guys didn't have to worry about the curfew. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but the house music came on right around 11pm on night 1, and everyone was like wtf (as they hadn't hit a typical closer yet), then they came out for a few more songs and went 20 minutes past curfew. Night 2 they seemed very aware of the time. Which was weird because they used social media to tell everyone the show started at 7:45pm but they didn't start 'til 8.

You know your getting awesome shows when the band has a hard time constraining themselves to 3 hours.. lol :)
  • Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,892
    If they're throwing 13 in there ala Gorge - Wrigley has to win out. That was an amazing show.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    if there was no curfew at fenway we are talking legendary show status. it was very apparent that the band and especially ed wanted to keep playing at fenway 2. (i wasn't at fenway 1)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    What's crazy is that we could throw about 5 other shows from this tour in this conversation. The days of being able to predict which shows will be the best are over, there are no more MSG II 2010s or Philly IV 2009s.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    This will be settled with a best-of-seven games MLB matchup in October

#pearledseries
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    edited September 2016
    ehbacon said:

I think all the non music factors have to go to Wrigley here.

-Nobody got drugged at Wrigley
    -setting wise Wrigley is just prettier than Fenway, Fenway is a nice park (been there for a sox game), but Wrigley is the most beautiful stadium I've ever set foot in (not the bathrooms tho). And this is coming from a Packers fan (Phillies fan baseball-wise).
    -Rain stopping right before the first show, and then having perfect weather all weekend couldn't have been scripted better.

Was very surprised how fantastic the sound was in the 400 levels, so much better than Milwaukee and probably one of the best if not the best sound I've had at a show. I can't say how it was everywhere in the stadium or how it was in Fenway, just thought that was an interesting tidbit.

- There were reports of people being drugged at Sluggers outside Wrigley
    - Fenway > Wrigley as a park though this is subjective
    - There was no rain at all in Boston. I say that was scripted a little bit better

The sound for me was better at Fenway as well and I had very comparable seats by the 3rd base dugout for each venue

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    Was at both Wrigleys. Setlists were better at both Fenways.

No GA at Fenway makes it better due to the overcrowded GA.

That being said, stadiums suck for concerts. It makes it difficult to make them my best concerts because of this. Had a great time, some special moments though.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I truly wish we'd get another concert bluray from their first 15 years as a band. I'll buy the Wrigley film immeditely no doubt but i think theyre beyond having their greatest performances. They can still come up with their greatest setlists tho (and Wrigley II as one of the best setlists ever). Just my opinion.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    mcgruff10 said:

if there was no curfew at fenway we are talking legendary show status. it was very apparent that the band and especially ed wanted to keep playing at fenway 2. (i wasn't at fenway 1)

I love that they didn't seem to rush at the end of Night 2 despite curfew. That was a long version of RITFW where you could tell they were having fun, then Yellow Ledbetter, THEN Mike's Star Spangled Outro. It was awesome.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Very glad to see Fenway 1 getting some love! I thought it was the better of the two.
  • Options

I truly wish we'd get another concert bluray from their first 15 years as a band. I'll buy the Wrigley film immeditely no doubt but i think theyre beyond having their greatest performances. They can still come up with their greatest setlists tho (and Wrigley II as one of the best setlists ever). Just my opinion.

What!!!! They're better live now than ever! I've been seeing them live since the 2000 tour which was amazing then, but they've aged like a fine wine since then. 2013 to now has been groundbreaking as far as live performances are concerned.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

you could of said that about Wrigley too. They were up against the clock both nights... went over night one, and obviously had a talking too as they were a bit rushed to get done by curfew on night 2 :(

It's kind of weird though. If they needed more time why not hit the stage earlier? lol.
  • Options
    Sorry Fenway 2, I'll take the shows that didn't have Sirens.
  • Options
    jp307677 said:

What!!!! They're better live now than ever! I've been seeing them live since the 2000 tour which was amazing then, but they've aged like a fine wine since then. 2013 to now has been groundbreaking as far as live performances are concerned.
    My favourite is still the Yield tour. They hadn't really done a proper tour for a whole, and there was this magic from a great number of people seeing the band for the first time. I know the sets are longer now, but the Yield tour was magic :)

The band is pretty damn good now, but you could also argue other tours were pretty epic. 1998 and the 2005 cdn/gorge tour stick out in my mind as being pretty awesome. The modern era is also pretty awesome :)
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    jp307677 said:

There is no way they are better live now.
    Ed's voice is not where it was in 2000, and that is to be expected. It just makes it difficult for him to be consistent for a whole show, especially the tougher songs (Blood, Lukin, etc)
  • Options

so now we judge a three plus hour experience on one song? I absolutely hate that song live but you know what, my wife was singing and smiling throughout the song. i could care less about that song and fenway 2 was easily in my top five out of the 57 times i've seen them live.
  • Options
    Sirens is a damn good song.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I was at all four and definitely preferred Fenway. The two ballparks may be my two favorite places in the world. But I felt Wrigley 1 was a bit "off"'and that the Fenway set lists were a bit better.

The "other" stuff favors Fenway too. It is hard to believe that they probably hold roughly the same number of people because outside of Wrigley was pure chaos and outrageous crowding every second. In hindsight it was amazing how relaxed the atmosphere around Fenway was. Maybe that was because everyone loves Wrigleyville and there were non-concert goers around?

Even in the park I had a sense that there were more people at Wrigley that were there to drink...even with the 30-minute later start there seemed to be more people hanging out, waiting for beer, not in their seats when the show started vs. Fenway. It's a gross generalization but I kinda felt like people at Fenway were there for a concert and people at Wrigley were there for a party.

It is all hair-splitting. All four shows were great and I was blessed to be there.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

so now we judge a three plus hour experience on one song? I absolutely hate that song live but you know what, my wife was singing and smiling throughout the song. i could care less about that song and fenway 2 was easily in my top five out of the 57 times i've seen them live.
    Nah. I'm judging this silly debate with an equally silly statement. You know, levity.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Nah. I'm judging this silly debate with an equally silly statement. You know, levity.
    Got ya! ;)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited September 2016

Very glad to see Fenway 1 getting some love! I thought it was the better of the two.

Because it was...
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Fenway 1 was the show most diminished by the curfew. You toss Red Mosquito and Indifference onto the second encore and that show looks much better on paper. In person it was very good but did feel light at the end.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    JimmyV said:

Fenway 1 was the show most diminished by the curfew. You toss Red Mosquito and Indifference onto the second encore and that show looks much better on paper. In person it was very good but did feel light at the end.

Especially when compared to one of the best encore 2 I've seen in years at Fenway 2

• Options
    SimmZSimmZ Posts: 41

Eddie's a Cubs fan. Only reason Wrigley gets any sort of special boxed set. The Fenway shows were better overall.

Any idea or leaked info as to what the release may be? Truly hope they come around and release the Fenway shows as film or blu rays or what not? Fenway 2 was one of their best shows ever!
    SimmZ
  • Options

Eddie's a Cubs fan. Only reason Wrigley gets any sort of special boxed set. The Fenway shows were better overall.

I don't think it was only that. Eddie grew up in Chicago and given the stories he told he has very fond memories of growing up in Chicago. It almost felt more of a hometown show than most of the ones I've seen in Seattle.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,167
    Fenway

Didn't do Wrigley this year, did 2013 show. Fenway bar scene was better imo, and not getting a cab until like 5am makes me say Fenway