Options

October issue of Classic Rock

Comments

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Well, I'll be going to the newsstand later today...
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    "Classic" Rock .......
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Classic rock? Yep, we're old.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016

Classic rock? Yep, we're old.

I think I accepted this awhile ago and have embraced it :lol:

The fact we can say we followed a band that was able to make it to classic status is a feat in its own

• Options
    for a brief second I thought it was steven tyler in the middle
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Oh Dave Grohl.......so punchable.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Eddie would play rhythm guitar and sing back up in that band :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    Kind of a hilarious photo, with Grohl laughing his fucking ass off as though someone just sat on the whoopie cushion he planted, while Chris and Eddie are all serious and wise-looking, hahaha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    I wonder when it says "in their own words" if that is new quotes or just rehashed from over the years.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964

Don't you lay a finger on that man!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    That's photoshopped
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

Seriously.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    The fact that those dudes are now labeled classic rock is a real jolt to the system.
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136

I wonder when it says "in their own words" if that is new quotes or just rehashed from over the years.

It is stuff from previous interviews with some small added information, and a few questions to Mike about ToTD which could be new.
    It came out in the UK yesterday.
    I had hoped the cover CD would have some tracks on it relating to the piece but it doesn't.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    AceCool said:

The fact that those dudes are now labeled classic rock is a real jolt to the system.

Not for me, it isn't.

It's been 25 years since the onset of the so-called "grunge" movement in the mainstream. That's a long time.
    Plus, I've thought for years that Pearl Jam's catalog stands up next to the "legends" of rock (Zep, The Stones, etc.) more favourably than it does to anything the kids are currently listening to nowadays.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Maybe Ten could be classified as classic rock, and perhaps anything released by 1996.... but all three of those guys' bands have released a lot of music after that right up until now, so that is why it's a little jarring for me to see them classified as classic rock artists. Whatever they've released in the past 20 years doesn't come off as classic rock at all IMO. But I suppose if they're only talking about their earliest works, okay. I can accept that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Maybe Ten could be classified as classic rock, and perhaps anything released by 1996.... but all three of those guys' bands have released a lot of music after that right up until now, so that is why it's a little jarring for me to see them classified as classic rock artists. Whatever they've released in the past 20 years doesn't come off as classic rock at all IMO. But I suppose if they're only talking about their earliest works, okay. I can accept that.

I think classic rock is defined as anything someone listened to as a teen but are now in their 40's.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I mean, the Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton will still occasionally release an album, doesn't mean they're any less Classic Rock.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Couldn't find this yesterday when I went to Barnes and Noble
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    mikeliska said:

PJ_Soul said:

I mean, the Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton will still occasionally release an album, doesn't mean they're any less Classic Rock.
    Well, their new albums aren't classified as classic rock, are they? I don't think so. Their old stuff is classic rock for sure, because those albums are from the classic rock era, which I think is a very defined genre that's limited to 2 decades in music history.
    I dunno... I feel like classic rock belongs to the 60s and 70s only. There is a specific "classic rock" style and sound that came out of that era that to me defines that genre. "Classic" is not a synonym for old, is it?? I don't think so. Just like any car model that is over 25 years old isn't a classic car. A classic car has defining factors other than age. Classic rock is classic because it came out of modern rock's formative years. It isn't just any rock that happens to be older than 20 years to me. It's like golden oldies. That, to me, is music from a particular place in time, not just called that because they are 40+ year old songs. I don't see why alternative rock/grunge should morph into "classic rock" just because it hits a certain age. That completely skews the definition of the genre of classic rock altogether IMHO. Why wouldn't it just be classified as early alternative or something? It's not the "idea" of PJ being classic rock that bugs me, or that making me feel old or anything. It just doesn't fit into that musical genre as far as I'm concerned, and I just like it when things are labeled inaccurately.
    I can understand why the magazine would want to make any rock that hits a certain age that though. If they didn't, they'd run out of material to publish, lol. Same goes for classic rock radio stations.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454
    No issue with the classic rock label. I don't think the fact that they are still putting out albums disqualifies them from being labeled as such. Born to Run gets played all the time on the classic rock station here in New York but they will also play any new single from Bruce when it comes out. For what it's worth they also play Pearl Jam on the classic rock station too.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well, their new albums aren't classified as classic rock, are they? I don't think so. Their old stuff is classic rock for sure, because those albums are from the classic rock era, which I think is a very defined genre that's limited to 2 decades in music history.
    I dunno... I feel like classic rock belongs to the 60s and 70s only. There is a specific "classic rock" style and sound that came out of that era that to me defines that genre. "Classic" is not a synonym for old, is it?? I don't think so. Just like any car model that is over 25 years old isn't a classic car. A classic car has defining factors other than age. Classic rock is classic because it came out of modern rock's formative years. It isn't just any rock that happens to be older than 20 years to me. It's like golden oldies. That, to me, is music from a particular place in time, not just called that because they are 40+ year old songs. I don't see why alternative rock/grunge should morph into "classic rock" just because it hits a certain age. That completely skews the definition of the genre of classic rock altogether IMHO. Why wouldn't it just be classified as early alternative or something? It's not the "idea" of PJ being classic rock that bugs me, or that making me feel old or anything. It just doesn't fit into that musical genre as far as I'm concerned, and I just like it when things are labeled inaccurately.
    I can understand why the magazine would want to make any rock that hits a certain age that though. If they didn't, they'd run out of material to publish, lol. Same goes for classic rock radio stations.
    I think classic rock can be classified as both and era and a sound. The Sheepdogs, for instance, are new. but they are the epitome of classic rock. they sound exactly like the guess who. And unless the Stones and Clapton significantly change their sounds, I think the "classic" moniker sticks. although clapton is more blues, but you get my point.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Yes, I do get your point, and that seems like a reasonable viewpoint to me as well. There is for sure a unique classic rock sound (that PJ and CC and FF don't have at all). Be it rock from particular decades or the particular sound to the music no matter when it was made because it still hearkens back to that 60s/70s rock sound, it seems to me that how old rock happens to be at any given time definitely isn't the defining factor for classic rock at all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mikeliska said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'd agree with you. I think it's pretty nebulous depending on who you ask (and who stands to make money off it) but I like the Wikipedia opening definition:
    Classic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s.[1] The radio format became increasingly popular with the baby boomer demographic by the end of the 1990s.[2]

Although classic rock has mostly appealed to adult listeners, music associated with this format received more exposure with younger generations of listeners with the presence of the Internet and digital downloading.[3] Some classic rock stations also play a limited number of current releases which are stylistically consistent with the station's sound, or by heritage acts that are still active and producing new music.
    I don't think I'd personally ever consider PJ Classic Rock under any circumstances (it makes me feel old) but I can sort of see why one might want to shoehorn them in there. Nobody was referring to Zeppelin or Creedence as Classic Rock until many moons down the line, it was just "rock." Classic Grunge?
  • Options
    Since Grunge is no longer a genre, I'd say the "classic" part would be redundant. Just grunge... if you use the term or think it means much of anything besides a clothing style and a pop culture term. I personally don't. I consider Pearl Jam and those who were called grunge bands to be alternative rock, then and now. So classic alt rock? Okay.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,249
    I started hearing Seattle era music on Classic Rock stations about 8 years ago. I was living in Edmonton for a while and The Bear would mix in stuff.

It makes sense. In the mid 90's stuff like zeppelin would get played on the radio, and it was maybe 20 to 25 years old. Now it's the same thing with the most of the music we were listening too in the early 90s. The question is modern rock doesn't seem quite as good and definitely isn't as popular. Will there be any more "classic rock" to be added to the playlist.

I wish they'd play other songs though. My local rock station here in Victoria isn't labeled as classic rock, but it's basically what is it (maybe plays .05% modern music, which sometimes doesn't even feel like rock). Most of the time it's the big songs off 10, sometimes one of the big ones from vs. Only on ultra rare occasions do they bust out something else. It's kind of sad consider the band has 10 studio albums, lost dogs, and a bunch of other songs that never made it onto lost dogs :(
  • Options
    too bad they couldn't get them doing a photo shoot together.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Has anyone in Toronto been able to find this?