Options

Brock Turner

2»

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839

just had an interesting thought: how would we react if Brock was our brother or son ? young kids do stupid shit all the time and I'm not trying to defend him (he knew what he was doing) but really how would you react if he was your brother or son ? anybody here honest enough with them selves to answer that ?

Godfather.

First, I'd have more sense than his father to lament to the media how he no longer enjoys a good steak.

I really don't know...I am sure I'd be less of the mindset of "throw the book at him" and perhaps I'd even be more willing to believe "this was one mistake and he won't do it again." I don't necessarily blame his family for being happy that he did not do hard time. And maybe he did learn his lesson and won't do it again (not that I am smart enough to know which guys can do that and which will always thrist for power and keep doing it).

That's all neither here nor there, though. Intellectually, I'd know he deserves much, much more. These laws exist for reasons that include deterance...three months for Brock ain't gonna deter anyone.

How would you feel if the victim was your daughter?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

just had an interesting thought: how would we react if Brock was our brother or son ? young kids do stupid shit all the time and I'm not trying to defend him (he knew what he was doing) but really how would you react if he was your brother or son ? anybody here honest enough with them selves to answer that ?

Godfather.

I don't have kids, so I probably can not answer it properly. But I guess you can be disappointed and disgusted by his actions but still love him and support him.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

First, I'd have more sense than his father to lament to the media how he no longer enjoys a good steak.

I really don't know...I am sure I'd be less of the mindset of "throw the book at him" and perhaps I'd even be more willing to believe "this was one mistake and he won't do it again." I don't necessarily blame his family for being happy that he did not do hard time. And maybe he did learn his lesson and won't do it again (not that I am smart enough to know which guys can do that and which will always thrist for power and keep doing it).

That's all neither here nor there, though. Intellectually, I'd know he deserves much, much more. These laws exist for reasons that include deterance...three months for Brock ain't gonna deter anyone.

I'd want him dead.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291

Godfather.

if my son i'd like to think i'd stand by him but not lessen the crime he committed. i'd like to think i'd be just as disgusted by the crime if it was my son but honestly very hard to say. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been dumb enough to say '20 minutes' of bad judgment shouldn't destroy his life. that was an idiotic statement by the dad.

if it was my brother i'd have a hard time still being there i think. maybe in time could re-establish a relationship but i think that would take years. in the short term not sure how i could be in the same room with him or have him around the people in my life. would be hard to look at him knowing he committed such a terrible act.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094

Godfather.

I have daughters, so it's difficult for me to make that leap. But I can tell you this: if I were Brock, my parents would have encouraged the judge to throw the book at me. I know that for a fact.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135

Godfather.

I have daughters, so it's difficult for me to make that leap. But I can tell you this: if I were Brock, my parents would have encouraged the judge to throw the book at me. I know that for a fact.
    I have a daughter as well and if Brock were my son, I would've no issues if the book were thrown at my son.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    edited September 2016
    OnWis97 said:

Godfather.

How would I feel if the victim was my daughter ?.......jail would be a safer place for him.

Godfather.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

My parents would have too. You do something stupid to get in trouble, you pay the consequences regardless.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    My 2nd cousin is in her 2nd year at Stanford so this angers me in a deeper personal level.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

Godfather.

The Trump fanboy defends Brock. Why am I not surprised?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYg7LNhqTw
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,003

Godfather.

If he was my brother or son, I would not have wanted to influence the jury whatsoever (since I believe that would be undue influence), but I'd have hoped for exactly what has taken place. Minimal jail time, highly restrictive probation, and the scar of being a registered sex offender, which will be a constant reminder to the kid of the terrible weight of his horrible deeds.

It's obvious that love for family will introduce bias - that's why they aren't allowed on the jury. The only time emotions should hold influence on the outcome of a trial, is when considering the defendant's level of remorse, and when considering the impact of the offence. In this case, even after a public impact statement was written by the victim, the defendant callously pled "not guilty", took no accountability for his actions, and showed no remorse for the victim. Based on the above, I truly fail to see how the Judge was able to rationalize a circumvention of a mandatory minimum (as much as I disagree with mandatory minimums).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    I'm a parent to two young individuals , my son is 22 attending WVU if he ever committed a crime such as this I'd want him to pay the fullest if found guilty...

If my daughter was the victim I'd want the person to pay for it the same way !!

This creep is a product of his family a total reflection of them ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Geez guys... dad just wants to cook him a good rib eye on the barbeque. What's the big whoop?

This case touches on several disturbing societal trends (crime and punishment being the obvious one of them).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358
    edited September 2016
    unable to give an answer. not a parent. and am sibling of a rape victim that later acted on an irrevocable decision.

I'd like to think that a son raised with any of my influence would not have put himself in that position to harm a human being that way.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016

I'm not sure what else can be said , he's a rapist subhuman that has ruined a woman's life and should be in jail !!!

+1

Sorry @Godfather. but if they were someone related to me or close to me in any way I can honestly say the exact things listed above and would throw them in prison myself...raping someone isn't kids, being kids

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I have a daughter (in college) and a son (graduated from college). I worry about my daughter and the Brock Turners out there. If my son did something like that I would be crushed, but I would want him to accept full responsibility for his actions. Own up to it, ask for forgiveness. Serve his time.

The last thing I would do is cook him a flippin' steak.
  • Options
    hopefully we teach our kid's bette
    mickeyrat said:

unable to give an answer. not a parent. and am sibling of a rape victim that later acted on an irrevocable decision.

I'd like to think that a son raised with any of my influence would not have put himself in that position to harm a human being that way.
    </blockquot

great answer !

Godfather.

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

I'm not sure what else can be said , he's a rapist subhuman that has ruined a woman's life and should be in jail !!!

+1

Sorry @Godfather. but if they were someone related to me or close to me in any way I can honestly say the exact things listed above and would throw them in prison myself...raping someone isn't kids, being kids

your right no doubt ! I mean that kids that age make different decisions than someone normally would at twice that age or even 10 years older, I wasn't excusing his behavior in any way.

Godfather.