When concerts bring new meaning to songs

madseamadsea Posts: 141
Ever have one or more of those songs where you just aren't a fan...but then hear them live and they suddenly become an entirely different song?

This happened for me with "Inside Job" at Wrigley1. I had heard it live a few times and on the album, it just didn't do anything for me.

When they introduced it with Steve Gleason and the way it was played on Saturday completely changed the song for me. I caught myself humming it while I was mowing the lawn this afternoon.

The song went from a "hit skip" to "must listen", all due to seeing it live on Saturday night.

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129
    Better Man at Mansfield, 6/28/2008. The crowd wouldn't stop cheering after the opening sing-a-long. Eddie tried to start again 2 or 3 times before really getting going again. Made me realize how that particular song needs to be heard live to be fully appreciated.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,254
    I agree with Inside Job from N1. I already liked the song but i will never hear it the same again after the Steve Gleason intro.

The other song for me is Man of the Hour. Happened a few years ago at an Ed solo show. I didn't care about the song at all until I saw it live and it just hit me with a very deep meaning. Ive felt different about it ever since and it was amazing at Wrigley N2.
  • JimmyV said:

Better Man at Mansfield, 6/28/2008. The crowd wouldn't stop cheering after the opening sing-a-long. Eddie tried to start again 2 or 3 times before really getting going again. Made me realize how that particular song needs to be heard live to be fully appreciated.

This was an incredible moment! The best of this song I've ever heard. . ."you guys sing like fuckin champions"
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • madseamadsea Posts: 141
    Immortality changed for me after hearing it live for the first time in Milwaukee a long time ago.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    JimmyV said:

Specifically that version. I was there and couldn't even begin to describe how fucking electric the crowd was that night! The band fed off of that energy completely. Most amazing performance of Betterman and SIFL tag.
  • This happened to me at Fenway 1. Wasted Reprise of all songs. Not that I don't like the song or anything. But it just hit me like a sack of bricks. I'm standing there with my arm around my bride to be, having the night of our lives. And then Ed sings "I escaped it, a life wasted, I'm never going back again" I was definitely lucky enough to have been able to escape a potentially wasted life, and I'm just getting chills typing this right now. What a moment.
    1996: Randall's Island 1
    1998: MSG 1
    2000: Jones Beach 1
    2003: Uniondale, MSG 1
    2006: Camden
    2013: Brooklyn 2
    2016: Boston 1
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    madsea said:

Ever have one or more of those songs where you just aren't a fan...but then hear them live and they suddenly become an entirely different song?

This happened for me with "Inside Job" at Wrigley1. I had heard it live a few times and on the album, it just didn't do anything for me.

When they introduced it with Steve Gleason and the way it was played on Saturday completely changed the song for me. I caught myself humming it while I was mowing the lawn this afternoon.

The song went from a "hit skip" to "must listen", all due to seeing it live on Saturday night.

Always thought this to be an amazing song. But it hit us all really hard that night after they brought out Steve Gleason. Just an amazing moment after he spoke. something I will never forget. "How we choose to feel is how we are' and personally I feel fucking awesome"
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    This has happened to me quite a few times. I started a thread about it on a different board years ago (I don't say this to claim originality, just to say it impressed me enough to do that too!). Over the years it's happened with several songs, one occasion at a time. The ones I remember most dramatically are Whipping, In My Tree, and Porch. There have been others I've grown to like more after seeing them live, but these went from "meh" to amazing.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    No More from Ed Solo in Chicago..when he brought out Tomas Young...I hated that song before that moment then "I got it"

Also, RVM live is a must see for me for anyone that has never seen the band

Alive during the end with the fist pumps and "yeah, yeah, yeah"

and like mentioned above, Betterman and the crowd sing a long
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,433
    JimmyV said:

I remember being at that concert and can remember that moment vividly. Maybe my favorite Pearl Jam concert memory ever.
  • jasonrolfejasonrolfe Posts: 474
    madsea said:

When they introduced it with Steve Gleason and the way it was played on Saturday completely changed the song for me?

Exactly this for me.
    2005: Kitchener / London / Hamilton | 2006: Toronto 1&2 | 2010: Hartford | 2011: Toronto 1&2 / Hamilton
    2013: London, Brooklyn 1&2 | 2014: Detroit | 2015: New York | 2016: Ottawa / Toronto 1 / Wrigley 1
  • R2D2R2D2 Posts: 9
    Do the evolution was mine. Hated the annum version, still do. My first show they played it and I've been in love since.

Betterman Mansfield, kicked that song up a few notches that night.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    RVM from DC 2008 show. Was my 4th show and first time traveling to see them and they absolutely crushed it...especially the jam at the end. It has been one of my favorites since...
  • jp307677jp307677 Posts: 417
    JimmyV said:

I've now been to 14 shows and still that's one of the moments that stands out. That was incredible...never heard a crowd go so nuts. Beautiful thing
  • madseamadsea Posts: 141
    See...this conversation, this is why I love 10C. PJ fans are the best.
  • TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 404
    madsea said:

I said the same thing to my wife after the show. Already loved the song but after Wrigley1, the lyrics became very clear to me. Seeing the Gleason preview a couple times before the show started already had my feels tweaked. Seeing Gleason come out, deliver the speech he did, and then hear the band perform the song as well as they did was overwhelming. Inside Job changed for me that night.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Boston 1 24|Boston 2 24|
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    Rvm, no doubt. Songs killer live
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • This happened to me with wishlist. I hated that song until i saw it at Columbus in 03.