• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    Lots of ignorant salt in this thread
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Zach brown band are great. Never seen them but they may be like the only country act I'd see. Maybe Ryan Bingham too.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    What were the seating layouts like? Did they have more seats available for Zac Brown?
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278

Country concerts have taken over the outdoor venue in Noblesville/Indpls. Black Sabbath is coming to town next weekend but it's been one country show after the other this year. Yuck.

you going to Sabbath? If so, me too.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    gnazteegnaztee Battle Ground, WA Posts: 82
    MP59559 said:

gnaztee said:

ZBB definitely not the "Bro Country" set. Sure, they have some mainstream songs, but so does PJ. I'll say this, for PJ fans who hate bro country or even the stuff I rejected growing up in the 90s (Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn, etc.) as a PNW kid, living a couple of years in Texas and finding the world of independent/red dirt country was an eye opener. I seriously recommend people check out Hayes Carll or the Turnpike Troubadours (both very different from each other) for the antidote to the bros. Smart lyrics and better music have made me a fan of, dare I say, "real country" when I never would have thought I'd say that. Sturgill Simpson is another good choice, although more recent and still different than the first two.

Strangely, I picked up most of these listening to a great, small radio station in Dallas called KHYI "The Range". A station so fiercely opposed to the bros that they have radio spots openly mocking mainstream country radio.

They might not be "Bro Country", but I think they do well up here because of the "Bro Country" phenomenon. I could be wrong.
    I'm guessing you're spot on. Then again, Pearl Jam has Evenbros so that's not unusual. I just like the bands I mentioned and some others because they're gritty, like the grunge version of country. Expanded list would be:

Turnpike Troubadours
    Hayes Carll
    Sturgill Simpson
    Ray Wylie Hubbard
    James McMurtry
    Todd Snider
    Robert Earl Keene

In fact, it made ACL '14 completely awesome because the Turnpike Troubadours (wife's favorite band) played the slot right before PJ (my favorite band), although it was a different stage. Some fellow Jammers watched our lawnchairs at PJ while we went to Troubs. Wife stayed for last song there while I headed back early, just in time to catch first notes of Long Road.
    Portland '93, Seattle 1 '98, Seattle 2 '00, Phoenix '03, ACL '09, Dallas '13, OKC '13, ACL 1 '14, Bogota '15, Wrigley 1&2 '16
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2016
    I still really don't know when a venue that size is sold out what that means?
    Does it mean the amount of tix a band created are no longer available, or simply there is this many seats period like a movie theatre (whether this is room to add more seats or not) etc
    How can one band have more fans attend than others yet both were "sold out" concerts.
    Anyone?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921

Does it mean the amount of tix a band created are no longer available, or simply there is this many seats period like a movie theatre (whether this is room to add more seats or not) etc
    How can one band have more fans attend than others yet both were "sold out" concerts.
    Anyone?

Great question! Anybody?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    mcgruff10 said:

Anyone?

Great question! Anybody?
    I answered this on the previous page. Sold out tickets is not the same as attendance. Paul McCartney sold out Fenway, but there were still 2000 tickets on stubhub...

I can't help but notice we weren't asking this question when pj had the record for two weeks... They weren't the first to sell out Fenway... Foo fighters did last year, but pj had higher attendance... Tickets actually scanned on the way into the building.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,921
    mikerl said:

mcgruff10 said:

Anyone?

Great question! Anybody?
    I answered this on the previous page. Sold out tickets is not the same as attendance. Paul McCartney sold out Fenway, but there were still 2000 tickets on stubhub...

I can't help but notice we weren't asking this question when pj had the record for two weeks... They weren't the first to sell out Fenway... Foo fighters did last year, but pj had higher attendance... Tickets actually scanned on the way into the building.
    Aaaaah. So we are talking about actual people in the venue.... No shows and unsold tickets on stubhub don't count.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Exactly. Plus corporate tickets unused.

Attendance = buts in chairs.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    RG292419RG292419 Chicago Posts: 79
    I took my kids to ZBB at Wrigley last year and it was great. Popped out during a yawner song and bought them great Cubs themed ZBB shirts, too.
    95 - Soldier Field, 11 - Alpine Valley PJ 20 N2, 13 - Wrigley Field, 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2, 18 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    About 2 years ago I'm not even sure I had even heard of the Zac Brown Band. My wife and a few friends wanted to see him at Fenway last summer, so I went along. Let me just say that I DESPISE country music....and that might be an understatement. I may have known about 5 songs by the time we went to the concert. I gotta say, they are AWESOME in concert. I probably like about 40 of their songs now. Never in a million years did I think that I would like them this much, but they are really, really good. Went back and saw them again at Fenway last weekend. I'm not sure that I would label them as country artists....but one thing I will say....they definitely "bring it" when they perform!
    PJ:
    * 1992 - Mansfield, MA
    * 1994 - Orpheum Theater, Boston
    * 1998 - Mansfield, MA
    * 2003 - Boston
    * 2008 - Mansfield, MA
    * 2016 - Fenway Park
    * 2018 - Fenway Park
  • Options
    RH658469RH658469 NKY Posts: 17
    edited August 2016
    Buts in chairs as well as layouts. My wife used to work in an arena and learned quite a bit about how they manage the numbers. Each show would have a different capacity based on stage setup, GA, floor seats, obstructed view seats, etc.

FWIW the studio version of ZBB's Heavy is the Head featuring Cornell is a really good track. Much better than the SNL vid on the previous page.
    Post edited by RH658469 on
    That guy who bought 10 on cassette when it released but took over 20 years to get his ass to a show...
    2014 Cincinnati, 2016 Wrigley1
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    edited August 2016
    PP193448 said:

Zac Brown Band is the Pearl Jam of country music. Lots of dedicated faithful fans that travel to see them. Great musicians that give it all during the shows for the fans. I've not seen them live, but my brother has and said they put on one hell of a show.

This ^
    ZBB is legit. Incredibly talented musicians that rock hard and leave everything on stage. Very diverse, they're best known for a jimmy buffet type song called Toes and country song called Chicken Fried but that really does not come close to representing their catalogue. I would put them more in the Southern Rock category if I had to provide a two word description but truly their music is all over the map.

They might be the only band that plays as many covers as Pearl Jam. Last show I saw they covered Kashmir, Devil went down to Georgia, Enter Sandman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Jack and Diane and a few more I'm forgetting.

Edit - Fuck how could I forget?! Another cover they did was Baba O'Riley! As well as Sonofabitch

Worth checking out and well worth seeing live
    Post edited by Massara133 on