Options

Mary Rising Up Above It All - Touching Wrigley Story

JennsisJennsis Boston, MA Posts: 84
I am just re-posting from the Facebook Ten Club page. This is an amazing story that all PJ fans should read about:

From Rob Duncan in Ohio - "i didnt really go into this too much while at the shows/sluggers cause i didnt want to look like a blubbering idiot. so i will here with the protection of a keyboard. lol so here goes...

i was originally in section 205 N1 and wound up walking down to 115 (to the left of home plate) i believe and found an area of about 5 seats or so where no one was. i noticed a woman seated to my left right next to me. i noticed her cause i found it odd that someone was sitting at a PJ show, especially the saturday one as it was panning out to be such a rocking setlist. but thats ok i thought, to each his/her own. so she stood up as i got there and sat down only between songs and encore breaks. so i started to think that maybe something was wrong with her, physically. then i noticed out of the corner of my eye that she was crying quite a bit and was a frail little thing. so after comfortably numb she gets my attention and says her name is mary and that she wants to hear crazy mary. i said wow that was fuckin cool and that i wanted to hear boom do his thing. so i notice her emotions are getting more troubling as the nite is going on. im thinking has she just had too much to drink? broke up with her bf and these are the seats he had? is it just the power of the moment and this is how she reacts? so i cant have another person around me like that seemingly having something going on that is above and beyond the moment, in my estimation. i have to try to do something about it. so i ask her if she is ok. so she says no, absolutely not. which threw me because generally people lie and say that they are. so i asked why. she tells me that she drove here from pennsylvania by herself. that she didnt have a ticket until that day (she bought a single N2 also). bought it outside wrigleyville on saturday. said PJ was her favorite band but never had the money "to buy the damn ticket" get merch (she had a poster and a shirt) or a good car to drive to shows. i said wow i am so fucking happy for you! great story! so then she drops it on me. she told me that she has terminal pancreatic cancer. she also tells me that friday (the day before) was going to be her last treatment. she wasnt doing it anymore. she couldnt take it physically and that she was leaving it to god. my heart sunk. i rubbed her shoulder and started to say something in her ear and she interrupted me and said its ok, theres nothing no one can say to that and apologized for being a downer. so then of course as fate would have it, mike goes into alive. we looked at each other and i could tell she needed a hug. so as alive played there were two people in the middle of a stadium hugging having a powerful moment that cannot be described. all i could think of was that i was hugging a woman that wouldnt be...alive. she grabbed me so hard it shocked me. i didnt think that little thing had that kind of strength. we held each other through the whole song and her grip never loosened. i literally cannot put into to words the power of the emotions that we both felt. after alive was over there was a break and we noticed that we had snotted on one another. haha! so then of course there was laughter through tears. best laughter ever imo! so we said our goodbyes after the show. wished each other well and i said she will hear crazy mary on nite 2 for sure. mary. if youre out there, thank you for the gift of that moment. ill never forget it....for you darling! i cried again with youon n2!"

Rob later went on to ask for a favor on Facebook "since mary gave me something so incredibly touching. i want to tattoo it. there has to be someone out there that is an artist. i want to tattoo this moment. "mary rising up above it all" in it somewhere. PM me with pics if there are any artists out there. you draw it, its going on my body"

If anyone wants to reach out to Rob, his original post is on the "Official Pearl Jam Ten Club Members" page on Facebook.
Hartford 10.25.13 | NYC - GCF 09.26.15 | MSG 05.02.16 | Fenway 08.05.16 | Fenway 08.07.16 | Seattle 08.08.18 | Seattle 08.10.18 | Missoula 08.13.18 | Chicago 08.18.18 | Chicago 08.20.18 | Fenway 09.02.18 | Fenway 09.04.18 | MSG 09.11.22

Comments

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,470
    Wow, incredible story. Feel extremely sad for her, but what a moment she never forget and same with Rob. Rob what a class move on your part, stand up guy.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Glad you re-posted this. It's amazing.
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    Stories like this never seize to amaze me. It is absolutely amazing how this band continues to touch the lives of so many. How this band has brought a community together, and has shown everybody one way or another how to support each other. It is with no question that their music has affected the lives of so many, and how music contains the gift of healing. I absolutely love your idea on immortalizing this moment with that caption. I know you will definitely find the right piece of art that will captivate this for the rest of your life. Amazing story. Thank you for sharing. Without a doubt the best band on the planet.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Thank you for sharing that. Really powerful.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Bump vibes
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh man, I got tears reading that. That she had someone to bring warmth and good energy and compassion in that time, going through what I can't even imagine.

Go, Rob Duncan, and go Mary - long may you run, on each of your paths as long as possible.

OP, thank you. This kind of perspective is always needed.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Thanks to the OP for sharing!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Read this on FB this morning and tried not to cry at work. Incredibly moving, I really thank Rob for sharing. Music will continue to be one of the most powerful forces out there, for so many reasons.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    I will not only design it! I will also tattoo it ! I am die hard fan that was at both nights in Boston and Chicago as well in SC for this tour with my 9 year old daughter . We are from California, if you ever make it out to this side of the country. Consider the tattoo done and on the house of course! Pearl jam gives so much to my soul I would love to give back to someone else thru their powerful music! PM for reference work , shop info , and ideas for tattoo and I'll start the concept process ! - Chris
  • Options
    ccr213ccr213 Posts: 1
    this whole thread is amazing... Much luv!!!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank you for sharing this story with us. Thank you for tuning in to what you felt from her and being there for her. :tears:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Ray J. T. said:

Stories like this never seize to amaze me. It is absolutely amazing how this band continues to touch the lives of so many. How this band has brought a community together, and has shown everybody one way or another how to support each other. It is with no question that their music has affected the lives of so many, and how music contains the gift of healing. I absolutely love your idea on immortalizing this moment with that caption. I know you will definitely find the right piece of art that will captivate this for the rest of your life. Amazing story. Thank you for sharing. Without a doubt the best band on the planet.

No way I could have said it better myself.....

Pearl Jam isn't just a band that makes music..they are a band that have brought complete strangers together to feel something bigger than we can put into words