Options

Pit Problems-Not the show stoppage

JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
I was in the pit with my wife on Saturday and didn't notice anything going on. When we got back to our hotel there were two older ladies who got GA and one said she passed out. My wife was in the pit with our son on Monday. She said she saw about 3 people pass out (not including the 1 apparently leading to the show stoppage). I have never scored GA tickets before. Is this common? I was always in the pit as a kid and remember it happening rarely when it was super hot at a show.
I would assume that people were dehydrated after waiting in line. Almost wonder if it wouldn't be better to have numbered wristbands, randomly distributed on when to line up on hr before the show. The pit certainly seemed more packed then Wrigley 2013.

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    There was a guy next to us pass out during Rearviewmirror and have to be carried over the railing. I hope he's OK. It's weird -- because it's not like it was super hot, it's not like people were moshing or anything like that. It was raucous -- like it should be -- but never overly rowdy, at least where we were standing.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    yes its common. Its a concert and people party balls. There are lightweights everywhere.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    JB56195JB56195 Posts: 303
    Wma31394 said:

yes its common. Its a concert and people party balls. There are lightweights everywhere.

I had to laugh at the "lightweights everywhere."

95-Milwaukee, 98-East Troy, 00-East Troy, 03-Detroit  Nights 1 and 2, 03-Toronto, 04-Grand Rapids, 05-Kitchener, 06-Cincinnati, 06-Auburn Hills, 10-New Orleans, 10-Kansas City, 11-PJ20 Nights 1 and 2, 13-Chicago, 14- Moline, 16-Chicago Nights 1 and 2, 18-Seattle Nights 1 and 2, Chicago Night 1, 21-Ohana Encore Night 1 and 2, 22-Imola, St. Louis.

• Options
    shmapshmap Posts: 359

There was a guy next to us pass out during Rearviewmirror and have to be carried over the railing. I hope he's OK. It's weird -- because it's not like it was super hot, it's not like people were moshing or anything like that. It was raucous -- like it should be -- but never overly rowdy, at least where we were standing.

I was in front of that group who brought him up, and one of the women involved told us that he had a heart attack. Hope very much that he only passed out!
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    In section 416 a woman passed out as Comfortably Numb was starting on Saturday.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

:rofl:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    phan84phan84 Posts: 48
    edited August 2016
    I've been in the pit for a few other shows (not PJ), but it seems like passing out in the pit is a pretty common occurrence - thousands of people packed in tightly, summer heat, lots of beer, and not enough water.
    Post edited by phan84 on
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    Impossible to know he had a heart attack based solely on presentation smh
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    Drugs people...lots of drugs
    ShawnZ
  • Options
    SZ303389 said:

Impossible to know he had a heart attack based solely on presentation smh

I figured it wasn't the time to argue with the lady :smiley:
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I guess it could be dehydration too. It's a bit tough to get in an out, so you're in the pit from 6 to 11. If you're not drinking to avoid washroom breaks, that could be tough on some people too.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    old people
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    You have to prep yourself and there is a definite art to it....being in GA
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Anyone think sitting standing in GA line for 9 hours is a contributing factor?
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

perhaps for the ill prepared
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

JC29856 said:

perhaps for the ill prepared
    Agreed. My 63 year-old mother and I arrived at 10:30 on Saturday, snacked and hydrated throughout the day, and didn't have any problems. She's a trooper, that one.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,374
    Lack of water...drinking beer...smoking....claustrophobia....you name it. Crushed together....still amazes me that people get GA without having a clue what they are getting into.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    ^^^^ this
  • Options
    There are multi-factorial causes of syncope(medical /nutritional status/environmental influences).
    Also prolonged standing leads to venous pooling and reduces ventricular pre-load. Events after(confusion/lethargy/headache/neurological symptoms) are important clues to indicate cause.
    As fans the in GA most important thing we could do is send someone for help . Clear the immediate area. Lay the victim supine, preferably with the head low to facilitate blood flow to the brain. A clear airway should be insured and loosen tight clothing(esp collar). A person who refuses a medical evaluation after recovering should be encouraged to be examined by a physician as soon as possible.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    edited August 2016
    Why did Eddie yell at that guy, last night? Anyone know what happened?
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    Spoken said:

Why did Eddie yell at that guy, last night? Anyone know what happened?

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921

Lack of water...drinking beer...smoking....claustrophobia....you name it. Crushed together....still amazes me that people get GA without having a clue what they are getting into.

Most shows I've been to there has been plenty of room in the back of the pit for people that want to spread out and move around. It didn't look like that was the case at Wrigley.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    here is a solution stop wasting time standing in a line for 9 hours, not eating or drinking, getting drunk, doing too many drugs, and you wont pass out...I mean good grief I was with my pregnant gf in Wrigley 2013 and braved the entire show and she never complained once and it was a sauna, but we got people damn near dropping dead in GA during a nice weekend temp wise in Chicago :lol:
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

It didn't feel that packed. I had a similar amount of space to when I had seats the night before.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I saw medics called over towards the back side of the pit on Mike's side on Saturday. Never saw anyone get dragged out so I'm still not sure what happened, but a guy was yelling for them and pointing a few people deep.

This weekend was nice and not too hot/extreme heat. In 2013 I remember feeling like I was gonna pass out waiting to buy pizza during the rain delay... the concession area was so packed like the pit and so hot, hadn't had anything to drink in a few hours and no food and that was at 10:00 at night or something. The people who don't drink water or drink alcohol and then stand in line or stand in GA for hours and hours... it can catch up with you if you're not careful.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    leep75leep75 Posts: 265

In section 416 a woman passed out as Comfortably Numb was starting on Saturday.

That's weird...I used that exact moment to go take a leak and buy my merch. I was back just about the middle of Corduroy.

leep
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    JimmyV said:

Most shows I've been to there has been plenty of room in the back of the pit for people that want to spread out and move around. It didn't look like that was the case at Wrigley.
    There was plenty of room in the back for sure.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    I was on the rail right behind the VIP section on Stone's side and there was actually a girl facetiming or skyping or whatever during the first 3 quiet songs, not just sharing the show, but yelling to the person on other end about how awesome it was. People are incredibly inconsiderate and stupid.

Also, if you are screaming/singing at the top of your lungs, the people around you can hear you louder than they can hear the band. Yes, you paid for your ticket, but so did they. It doesn't cost anything to be a little considerate.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474

I was on the rail right behind the VIP section on Stone's side and there was actually a girl facetiming or skyping or whatever during the first 3 quiet songs, not just sharing the show, but yelling to the person on other end about how awesome it was. People are incredibly inconsiderate and stupid.

Also, if you are screaming/singing at the top of your lungs, the people around you can hear you louder than they can hear the band. Yes, you paid for your ticket, but so did they. It doesn't cost anything to be a little considerate.

Agreed, i saw both of those scenarios, (typical for any concert really). DUring Man of the Hour, dude in front of me was talking about some sale he made earlier in the day, very loudly, to the woman next to him.

As for the singing...agreed as well....there are times when you should sing, and times when you should not. Please dont sing over Ed on Footsteps :)
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Yes. That was a misery.

I saw medics called over towards the back side of the pit on Mike's side on Saturday. Never saw anyone get dragged out so I'm still not sure what happened, but a guy was yelling for them and pointing a few people deep.

This weekend was nice and not too hot/extreme heat. In 2013 I remember feeling like I was gonna pass out waiting to buy pizza during the rain delay... the concession area was so packed like the pit and so hot, hadn't had anything to drink in a few hours and no food and that was at 10:00 at night or something. The people who don't drink water or drink alcohol and then stand in line or stand in GA for hours and hours... it can catch up with you if you're not careful.