Options

My Last Pearl Jam Show 8-22-16, and a wish along with it (not a song)

ratmandoratmando Outside of Portland, or somewhere like that Posts: 347
edited August 2016 in The Porch
My Facebook friends know this already. I haven't posted on the forum in so long. Got burnt out, had some life changes, as we all do, and some health issues as we all do. But the zig zag paths have put me in a new world. Freedom, at a price.
I no longer have a husband, no longer living in Las Vegas, no longer... well.... the losses over the last two year included being homeless for five months, having every dime disappear, watching my ex take even more than I knew I had, and at the same time finding new love when there wasn't a place in my heart for it. I found that although my car is from this decade, a fiat is a bit small for a mobile home, even in tinyhome terms. I found asking for help can lead to getting it. I found that a dog can be better than Prozac, albeit, we all know that. I found being on stage with Grrl Jam, or my comedysportz team, or being in a play is far more healing than buying into the "ain't you too old for that" bullshit comments. Music and the Arts are me.
The desert is not my home, never really was. The ocean is. But, I couldn't afford staying with friends in Moss Beach, so goodbye Mavericks. I drove around the country and settled in a broken town, near Detroit. It was going through hell, as I was...we fit each other. The tour came on when my every penny was set aside for rent, car, insurance and phone. I go to food banks, clothes banks, and thanks to a grant was put into an apartment. I do not ask anyone for help, and when I do, I find it..this isn't the point if you made it this far. Somehow, I found a way to get tickets, and then had medical issues, family issues, and had to pass them so another could enjoy our boys, and I could say goodbyes to more people back where I was raised in Boston. (Raised there, but didn't grow up until California years later.) I took my new found love and my Prozac dog to Boston, met friends, visited family, and said goodbye to them. Most won't be around this time next year, and if the health issues don't turn around...just glad I had goodbye time.
I combined the last bit of credit card and savings to pay for my win of a Wrigley pair. Wrigley is where my Great-uncle, Lou Boudreau, announced games. Wrigley is the home of the one team I went to see every time I had a day off at the Naval base. When Lou died, I was given some trinkets, including one of his hats reserved for Ed. I got to hand it to the road manager in Los Angeles in 2013, hoping it made it to Eddie. (You could still see sweat stains and smell Lou's hair. )(as little as there was).
My wish.... not a song. Not a gift. Not anything huge. I did hope that my love and I could be married at the show, but not holding my breath. The wish? I just want to see Ed in my uncle's hat, in the field where both loved their team. Or, at the minimum, just know somehow that the cap managed to get to him.
This is the last time I can even try to spend money on tickets, never mind hotels, gas, parking, etc. Not buying shirts, swag, or any of that. We were going to stay in a campground in Zion, where I used to live, but found a deal on a hotel that was cheaper. I am from the class of '64, as Eddie is, and at 52, my coin flip of groceries v electricity happens too often now on disability.
My heart and thyroid are being beaten up by autoimmune issues. I am not famous, so chances of meeting the boys doesn't happen. ADA at Fenway finally got TLC for picks and tambourine time...hoping it is the same at Wrigley. I have written 10club a few times to see if the baseball cap made it to the intended. It would be amazing ...just.....Amazing... if my wish came true -- Cathe Boudreau....aka Edie Vetter of Grrl Jam.
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
Post edited by ratmando on

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    You sound bound and determined to get there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Dear Ed, please wear the cap at Wrigley!!
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,968
    bump
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What a journey - wishing you more highs than lows to come.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    I have read some amazing stories lately here on the boards...I hope yours ends with Ed wearing that hat at Wrigley
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Love it. Can't wait to hear that he wore it and hope things take a turn for the better for you.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Thanks guys... appreciate it. It would just be... I'd be a girl who could fly. High Amongst the waves.. a release! Meeting my true heart partner.. that was amazing.
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options

You sound bound and determined to get there.

Driving out with my man, 4.5 hours from Michigan... i will break the scooter speedlimit if the car breaks!

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

I have read some amazing stories lately here on the boards...I hope yours ends with Ed wearing that hat at Wrigley

That made my whole week, thank you!!!

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options

Love it. Can't wait to hear that he wore it and hope things take a turn for the better for you.

I can honestly say, this was the shittiest year since 2001. But, finding Chris sure helped heal wounds.

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options

Thanks!!! I keep thinkinf it cant get worse, but when it does, i still feel surprised. It has to turn around :) keeping positive

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options

Dear Ed, please wear the cap at Wrigley!!

Yes, ♡♡♡♡ please!!!

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    I hope you'll see Eddie wearing the cap. Wishing you luck & health!
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,423
    we are same age, you've done a lot more living than I have in our "class of 64" years. I too am a die hard life long Cubs fan although from So Cal...I wish my dad had lived long enough to see the Cubbies of today, he passed in 1990. Whenever I hear Release I think of him of course so I hope Ed gets the Cubs hat and we all think of those CUbs-fans past we miss .....
  • Options

we are same age, you've done a lot more living than I have in our "class of 64" years. I too am a die hard life long Cubs fan although from So Cal...I wish my dad had lived long enough to see the Cubbies of today, he passed in 1990. Whenever I hear Release I think of him of course so I hope Ed gets the Cubs hat and we all think of those CUbs-fans past we miss .....

Amen to that.

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Hi Ratmando! So glad to have seen you at the show (met you in Denver '14, wife has the long dreads). Sorry Ed didn't pull out the hat but I think the Mike pick and tambourine straight from Ed might make up some of the difference. We're so happy for you! Much love and may you find good fortune in your future!

See you next round :)
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options

Sorry Ed didn't pull out the hat but I think the Mike pick and tambourine straight from Ed might make up some of the difference. We're so happy for you!

I heard that Eddie wore cubs hats the show before-- and was looking for another one.. So it was pretty cool that friends let me know he was trying to make the effort.. AND then.. HOLY SHEEPSHORN DOODLES-- He walked right up to our side of the stage.. pointed at me and said BOSTON STRONG!! then gave the Thumbs up! DIdya notice my boyfriend was on fb commenting then.. he missed the WHOLE THING! He felt so stupid!! (his first PJ show. had NO idea he was going to fall in love with the band. and he did.. hard!) Then having him come right back to OUR side.. (ADA represent!)... and toss the tambourine, right at me- with "BOSTON STRONG! Can you catch this?" I still have tears down my face. Still. Hard. THEN.. that sweet gal to my left-- saw my wheelchair repair that needed done so could make it to the show meant my stickers from about - oh.. 11 shows? -- all missing-- gave me a Mother Love Bone sticker??!! THEN having the film crew take shots of us as I'm rocking out and crying like a toddler? In my uncle's home stadium? Pinch me now -- I gotta be in a coma somewhere.

You guys being there.. and then so many others from the shows I've been to over the last 25 years ,(and MLB shows, before.) For a very last pearl jam show-- I could have done a hell of a lot worse.. thank YOU for being there. Made me so happy to see you guys. Every show I've always gone stag, always made friends with ADA or nosebleed seat folks... and hoped to see some over and over. Some have gone now. Some are just healthier and able to do more so they moved on to mosh in GA. Some moved on to things like.. sigh.. barry manilow. (WTF??) . Still... this was the VERY first time I had someone with me who knew me so well, and helped me get through the homeless stuff this last year, the health stuff, the divorce hell, the entire life changing, near death stuff this year... and he was there to come to the Pearl Jam show because he was supporting me in my insanity - (PearlJamity?) Can you believe- brother manitouman- we did it! Two last tour shows together as a team! So awesome to share that with you.

Henry David Thoreau