A little tlc, support for Neil...

IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
Firstly I know this isn't PJ related but since Given To Live was formed and inspired by PJ and the PJ fan community I hope this is ok. If not please move to the appropriate place.

So...

Hi :)

I'm reaching out for a little help for Given To Live. This Friday, tomorrow, we're meant to be taking Neil to Boomtown. Neil has terminal cancer and was given a year back in May.

The application came in from a couple, Vicki and Byron, who've know Neil over 20 years and wanted to help him realise his wish to go to a festival before he dies. We said yes without hesitation.

When I went to see Neil to tell him he was going a couple of weeks ago he was struggling with the pain but managing. He was hoping he'd manage at least one night at the fest. He said two but also said it's optimism and hope that's keeping him going.

In the last week he's deteriorated and is currently in a hospice as he wouldn't manage at home. Last night I got a call from Vicki saying that it's touch and go if Neil will be pain free enough to go at all. Right now this is the situation...we are hoping that at the very least Neil will be free enough of pain for us to take him for a few hours. A few hours where he can have his dying wish of being at a festival before he goes. He feels ok in the morning but come late afternoon the pain really kicks in. We'd pick him up early in the morning. We're leaving open so if it's not Friday and he feels easier Saturday we'll take him then.

Vicki said that Neil is so grateful for the love being shown by her and Byron, by GTL for allowing him to dream and feel loved. I'm here asking if you would be willing to post a comment on his thread (below) on our Facebook page wishing him well and enough relief from the pain that he can listen to his favourite reggae for a few hours in the sun.

Thank you,

Tom

Neil's story/thread -

https://www.facebook.com/giventolive/posts/1449981175018436:0

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Hey Tom! I'm not on FB, but hopefully there is a way for someone to screenshot any comments posted here and post them on Neil's thread.

Wishing Neil all the best, and to be pain free enough to go to the festival. What you are doing for him is fantastic, as music is a great way to lift us out of ourselves (and our worries and pain), if even for a few minutes. I hope Neil will be able to experience this. Positive energy being sent his way from here.
    ELITIST FUK
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    I certainly can do that and thank you ❤️
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    SD48277 said:

Hey Tom! I'm not on FB, but hopefully there is a way for someone to screenshot any comments posted here and post them on Neil's thread.

Wishing Neil all the best, and to be pain free enough to go to the festival. What you are doing for him is fantastic, as music is a great way to lift us out of ourselves (and our worries and pain), if even for a few minutes. I hope Neil will be able to experience this. Positive energy being sent his way from here.

This lovely lady and I are alike (among many other ways!) in that while I don't use Facebook, I send my best wishes to Neil.

More good work on your end - bravo!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    I also don't do Facebook.
    Hoping for a wonderful, pain free Friday for Neil to enjoy the festival.
    Rock on Neil.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Also not on Facebook. Would love to help, get more information.
    www.cluthelee.com
    How I envy you who aren't on Facebook :)
    Given To Live -

Also not on Facebook. Would love to help, get more information.

Give me a sec and I'll add GTL's original story.
    Given To Live -

This link will take you to GTL's news page and it's the top story -

http://www.giventolive.com/#!news/c3bm
    Given To Live -

• IamTom said:

This link will take you to GTL's news page and it's the top story -

http://www.giventolive.com/#!news/c3bm
    Cheers, mate.
    www.cluthelee.com
    The positive vibrations seem to be working! Neil has perked up a lot and feels ready to give it a go on Saturday for the afternoon.

He's got to have an injection tomorrow which will ease one of the issues.

There's a lot of thank you for the messages :)
    Given To Live -

IamTom said:

The positive vibrations seem to be working! Neil has perked up a lot and feels ready to give it a go on Saturday for the afternoon.

He's got to have an injection tomorrow which will ease one of the issues.

There's a lot of thank you for the messages :)

Excellent news! Continued positive energy for Neil. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
    Hi Everyone,

It seems all the messages and good vibes have worked because right now he's going tomorrow :)

He's being picked up 8.30am by his wonderful friends Vicki and Byron and GTL is meeting up on the way and away we go!!!
    Given To Live -

Fantastic!!
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,482
    Neil, once pearl jam gets on stage I hope all your worries go away.
    Keep on rocking buddy.
    DavidD said:

Neil, once pearl jam gets on stage I hope all your worries go away.
    Keep on rocking buddy.

As I mentioned in the post this is not a PJ show - https://www.facebook.com/giventolive/posts/1449981175018436:0
    Given To Live -

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141
    Sending love from Boston, Neil.

I hope you get your day in the sun with the music, friends & good vibes.

Hang in there man.
    Thank you all :)

And thank you admins for letting this non PJ story stay here, the messages meant to world to Neil.

Neil made it and the story of his day is here - https://www.facebook.com/giventolive/posts/1457193514297202

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Given To Live -

Go, Neil! Wonderful read, Tom. Bless you and GTL for making this happen.
    Fantastic! Glad to read that Neil was able to have his day at the festival, joined by good friends. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK