My Late Son, Joey, and the Pearl Jam Family

DanalphabetDanalphabet Posts: 94
edited August 2016 in The Porch
As some here may know, my 13-year-old son, Joey, passed away suddenly in June 2014.

The following month I reached out to the Pearl Jam community and the band. The response was overwhelming, as I heard privately and publicly from people all over the world.

During weekend one of Austin City Limits 2014, the band opened with the song I had requested for my beautiful boy, "Long Road."

In true kindness, Ed took it a step further later in the set when he made a heartfelt dedication to my Joey prior to "Comeback." Needless to say, it touched my heart.

Fast forward to last night at Fenway. Tears flowed as I and thousands in attendance watched "Release" and "Long Road" open the festivities.

Later, the band capped off an emotional evening with a song I played at my son's memorial service, "Just Breathe."

To add to an already incredible Boston night, I had the chance to finally meet many of the people who reached out to me two years ago.

It is difficult to put into words what this band and the Pearl Jam community mean to me.

Although we come from different walks of life, what we share are the memories and experiences that comprise who we are, this kind and compassionate band, and the incredible music that they create.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to every person who contacted me, comforted me, and has become my friend. I love snd appreciate each and every one of you.

We are truly a family and all "walk the long road."

Sincerely,

Dan Thomas
Post edited by Danalphabet on

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    :heart:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.