Options

What a Lucky Tucker (Dog rescue)

myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
edited August 2016 in A Moving Train
Was reading the most recent animal abuse thread and thought I would share a short story.

My wife runs a small Animal rescue. If any 10C members are ever looking to adopt a rescued dog, PM me or check out their website.
She even works with other rescues across the country to set up free transports for adoptions.

Paw First Rescue

You know, you think you've seen a few things, then you see something like this.. and you realize how cruel people can be.

A while back, this dog (Tucker) was found in a ditch on the side of a back road. Both hips broken and as you can see, maybe a day from starving to death.

After some tough weeks, some good meals, two hip surgeries, and lots of encouragement.

As cruel as people can be, they do not define us...
This is Tucker today..!

We named him Tucker, because we thought, man.... he was a "Lucky *ucker" to be found that day. ;)

Now he needs a diet...and a "Forever" home haha

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

Post edited by myoung321 on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What a handsome happy boy.

So amazing to me - how no matter the mistreatment of the past, trust and love return and remain.

Bless your wife for what she does. I'm a huge proponent and supporter of these efforts.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    It's heartwarming and comforting to read about good people like your wife, thanks for sharing your story about Tucker. The hope has returned in his eyes.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    What a great story, and such a beautiful boy. Your wife is a saint.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Tucker is pretty amazing now. It's remarkable that an animal so abused can be so loving now. He's like a big puppy.

My wife laughed at the Saint comment... but yeah, if we're driving somewhere and see a stray dog, as I pass it she'll give me that look and I know I gotta turn around...haha .. I'm pretty lucky to have her :)

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Good boy!

needs a diet lol
  • Options
    CH156378 said:

Good boy!

needs a diet lol

HAHA yup... To this day he will over compensate on food if given the opportunity. I'm sure that a natural instinct from almost starving to death.

For treats or toys he will do pretty much anything to get it, shake, speak, do circles. roll over,,, he's hilarious...

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Great story! Thanks so much for sharing - it is nice to see good news on AMT for a change.

I posted in the Doggie thread, but we lost our sweet rescue Madison last week. There are so many wonderful dogs in shelters - it's a win win.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    E :)

All three of our cats were / are rescues - wouldn't have it any other way.

Earlier today, I was watching my heroine (Tia Torres) talking with a family looking to adopt a pit; they'd lost theirs to cancer. And Tia said something sweet and wise that I wish I could repeat verbatim, but it was to the effect of one dog giving their life to open the door for another to be saved and loved.

I wish I could do that more justice.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Love these stories. :heart:
    My cat (just turning 14 years old this month) was a rescue. Not from a shelter. My best friend's wife's mom found her and her brothers and sisters in a box abandoned on the side of the highway in a rain storm. They were SO young. Probably not even 4 weeks yet. They were soaked, covered in mud and mites. I doubt they would have survived the night. Anyway, when I got the phone call begging me to take one I didn't hesitate (although frankly, I was not really in the best position to get another cat. I already had one, and she was not pleased about the addition at all and never got used to it, which sucked), they drove her over to me that night. They weren't equipped to deal with that whole little so had to find homes immediately. I had to feed her a slurry because she was too young to eat solids. Got her to the vet next morning and got her cleaned up and everything. I recall how shocked the vet was to see such a young kitten brought in. We had to wait a while before she could even get her first shots. Anyway, she's pretty much a perfect cat, and super healthy. And much happier since the other cat who never welcomed her died a few years ago, lol (RIP. I loved that cat too). I just can't beleive that a person could be so awful as to remove kittens from their mom so young and toss them out on the side of the highway in the mud. Makes me wish I believed in hell.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata