Options

The "Translations of Eddie's onstage speeches"-thread

GetALifeGetALife Posts: 554
edited November 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Hi there!

Since Eddie tried at every European gig in 2005/2006 to say a few words in the language of the certain country and since I sat together with two Czech girls who tried to translate his speeches on the Prague boot and since the new DVD supports a translation of one Italian gig speech, I thought about "organizing" this topic in a thread. SO, I ask all of you who likes to give a translation of his speech in Zagreb, Milan, Barcelona, etc. to post it here. I am very curious...

I'll come up with a first one I once posted in another forum...
# 2000: Hamburg # 2006: Berlin # 2007: Munich * Dusseldorf # 2009: Berlin * Manchester * London # 2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin # 2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen # 2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2 # EV 2017: Berlin ____  * 2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin # 2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=4792773#post4792773

...should we also transcribe here the ORIGINAL language? Is there any interest for that? For my part I would say: YES!
    # 2000: Hamburg # 2006: Berlin # 2007: Munich * Dusseldorf # 2009: Berlin * Manchester * London # 2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin # 2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen # 2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2 # EV 2017: Berlin ____  * 2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin # 2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I would love to read translations. I've often wondered when I listen to the boots. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    GetALife wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=4792773#post4792773

...should we also transcribe here the ORIGINAL language? Is there any interest for that? For my part I would say: YES!
    now that'd be cool: both the original speech and the translation :D
    ..I'll try to help out on the Marseille/Paris boots (Don't think he did any French in Antwerp or Bern..but I wasn't there so not sure)
  • Options
    Heyho! Please correct me if necessary...

---

Berlin, 23.09.06, before "Small Town":

"Guten Abend … Danke … Wir haben hier schon einmal gespielt, aber noch nie an einem solch schönen Abend … und noch nie mit den Black Keys … so we thank them. … Vielen Dank, dass ihr über die Jahre immer wieder ... wieder – Vedder – gekommen seid und uns zugehört habt."

"Good evening … Thank you … We have played here once before, but never on such a beautiful evening … and never before with the Black Keys … so we thank them. … Thank you very much that you came back all over again [again = wieder] and listened to us over the years. /[or]/ Thank you very much for coming back and listening to us all over again over the years."
  • Options
    "/" --> options

---

Vienna, 25.09.06, before "Small Town":

"(Hello … Hello …)
    Als wir das letzte Mal hier spielten, war es auf einem Open-Air-Gelände ... -Gelände, ahm, Residenzplatz in Salzburg. … Aber wie auch immer es ist: Schön, wieder hier zu sein."

"When we played here the last time, it was on an open-air-area, -area, ahm, Residenzplatz in Salzburg. But however it may be/is: Nice/good to be back."

"Encore break 2":
    "Danke … Danke …
    Vielen Dank für diesen schönen Abend. Hoffentlich …hoffentlich dauert es nicht wieder sechs Jahre … um wieder bei Euch zu sein."

"Thank you … thank you …
    Thank you very much fort his nice/good/great evening. Hopefully … hopefully it won’t last again six years … to be with you/at your place again."
  • Options
    Novarock Festival, Vienna, 15.06.07, before "Dissident":

"Ah, Guten Abend …
    And ahm…Für alle, die Gäste, die in Venedig waren: Wir hoffen, Euch geht es gut. ("Anfangen!" [a guy in the audience]) Wir, ah, wir, wir freuen uns hier in ??? [can't understand] zu sein. Ah, wenn es okay ist, werde ich jetzt Englisch sprechen, mein Deutsch ist nicht … nicht so besonders. Ich höre mich wie George Bush an, wenn er probiert, Englisch zu sprechen."

"Ah, good evening…
    And ahm…for all the guests, who were in Venice: We hope, you are alright/fine.
    ("Start off!"/"Begin!"/[or something similar]) We, ah, we’re glad/happy about to be here in ???. Ah, if it’s okay, I will now speak in English , my German is not that good/… . I sound like George Bush, when he’s trying to speak English."
  • Options
    Hurricane Festival, Scheessel, 24.06.06, before "Dissident":

"Guten Abend, campers! … I'm gonna try: Ich spreche für alle Bands, wenn ich sage: Respekt für Eure Ausdauer. Wir sind froh, Teil Eurer Erfahrung zu sein."

"Good evening, campers! … I'm gonna try: I speak for all bands, when I say:
    Respect for your stamina [you say that? or maybe "persistancy"?] We’re glad/happy to be part of your experience."
  • Options
    hard_sunhard_sun Posts: 382
    nice job man...
    i'll post the speech from zagreb...
    ...the north is to south what the clock is to time...
    419 352
  • Options
    ''Želio bi...želio bi nazdraviti...Hrvatskoj...hvala što ste nas pozvali...i...drago nam je...što smo napokon u vašoj zemlji...''

''George Bush...je potrošio...300 biliona poreznog novca na rat u Iraku.Ova pjesma nije o novcu...pjesma govori o ženi...o vojniku...''

''Hmm...s-sinoć...sinoć sam saz-saznao...da se moj dragi prijatelj ženi...Sljedećom pjesmom želimo proslaviti njihovu ljubav, zato je pos-posvećujem ???''

''I'd like to say hello to Croatia. Thanks for inviting us and we're glade, because we're finally in your country.''

''George Bush has spent 300 billions of tax money on the war in Iraq. This song isn't about money, it's about a women...about soldier.'' (before Army Reserve)

''Hmm...last night, i've found out that my good friend of mine is getting married.With next song, we'd like to celebrate their love, so i dedicate it to ???'' (before Thin Air)
    419 352
  • Options
    Hey man, great!

Thank you! We got the thread rolling....
  • Options
    ...no problem my friend...
    btw have you got msn?so, we can chat sometime
    419 352
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Thanks you guys. Keep em coming. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    hehe...
    419 352
  • Options
    hard_sun wrote:
    ...no problem my friend...
    btw have you got msn?so, we can chat sometime

no msn, buddy...

rock on!
  • Options
    no problem...
    419 352
  • Options
    ...this is a "fresh-up-the-thread"-post for everyone who did not already recognize it and who wants to contribute something...there's a heap of shows with speeches that wait for getting translated ;)

So, you're very welcome to do so! :)

"Isch liebe Eusch"
  • Options
    NicciNicci Posts: 26
    Pegasus wrote:
    now that'd be cool: both the original speech and the translation :D
    ..I'll try to help out on the Marseille/Paris boots (Don't think he did any French in Antwerp or Bern..but I wasn't there so not sure)

Booooooooooooooo!
    We don't speak French in Antwerp!
    And Eddie was well aware of this, he even said he would keep talking English because 'you can't decide which language to speak' or something like that...
    Antwerp 30.08.2006
    Paris 11.09.2006
    London 18.06.2007
    Nijmegen 28.06.2007
    Werchter 29.06.2007
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    GetALife wrote:
    Isch liebe Eusch"

i'm loving it???

or is that isch liebe es??

i am close anyway!!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    i'm loving it???

or is that isch liebe es??

i am close anyway!!

"Ich liebe Euch" means "I love you" (you = plural) - I just wrote it like Ed pronounces it ;)

"Ich liebe es" means "I love it"
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Nicci wrote:
    Booooooooooooooo!
    We don't speak French in Antwerp!
    And Eddie was well aware of this, he even said he would keep talking English because 'you can't decide which language to speak' or something like that...

Yeah, and said his Dutch was as good as his French...LOL :D

it was very funny (we all knew how Vallonian and Flandrian people think of each other by the way;) )
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    Paris before 'daughter':

Il y a 5 années aujourd'hui, un accident terrible s'est produit sur le sol américain. La réponse entendue de France était - dans une citation - : "Nous sommes tous des Américans". Après une année où l'administration de notre Président a semblé oublier ce cadeau depuis. Et alors, nous représentons la majorité des Américains et nous vous remercions. Encore merci !

Five years ago today, something dreadful happened on American soil. France's response was - I quote - : "We are all Americans." Since then, our President's administration seems to have forgotten this present. So we represent the majority of the American people and we thank you. Thank you again.

The sentence starting with 'Après une année" and ending with "depuis" is not correct in French.but that's what I understand anyway. I tried to translate it as best as I could. Fellow French speakers, don't hesitate to correct me !
    Marseille, France 09/09/06
    London, England 08/18/09
    Arras, France 07/03/10
    Arras, France 06/30/12
    "Do you see the way that tree bends?
    Does it inspire?
    Leaning out to catch the sun's rays
    A lesson to be applied"
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Poland, Chorzów, 2007-06-13:

Dobry wieczór Chorzów.
    Nie każdego dnia jedziemy przez las by dojechać na koncert. Dziękujemy, ze tu z nami jesteście skądkolwiek jesteście.
    I, i, i jeśli to ok będę dalej mówić już po angielsku żeby nie mówić niczym pięciolatek.

Translation:

Good evening, Chorzow.
    Not every day we go by a forest to arrive at concert. Thank You, that U are here with us, wherever you are from.
    And, And, if it's ok i will speak english to not speak like 5 year-old boy

Well. He did it ok, but in true it really souds like it was a child. But it was so sweet... But, it might be - his polish is better than my english??

BTW, here is link , if U want to see how Eddie wrote this speach -funny;)
    http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/5990/skanuj0001bq5.jpg
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Paris before 'daughter':

Il y a 5 années aujourd'hui, un accident terrible s'est produit sur le sol américain. La réponse entendue de France était - dans une citation - : "Nous sommes tous des Américans". Après une année où l'administration de notre Président a semblé oublier ce cadeau depuis. Et alors, nous représentons la majorité des Américains et nous vous remercions. Encore merci !

Five years ago today, something dreadful happened on American soil. France's response was - I quote - : "We are all Americans." Since then, our President's administration seems to have forgotten this present. So we represent the majority of the American people and we thank you. Thank you again.

The sentence starting with 'Après une année" and ending with "depuis" is not correct in French.but that's what I understand anyway. I tried to translate it as best as I could. Fellow French speakers, don't hesitate to correct me !
    strictly speaking it says:
    "after a year where the administration of our president seems to have forgotten this gift since" (that's not correct in English either..whoever translated what he was trying to say didn't do a very good job of it, though everyone understood)

just listened to it again and it's so funny..he sounds half English (not American), half Italian or something when he speaks French :D..it's sweet..:o
  • Options
    THANK YOU, PEOPLE!!! The thread is rocking and rolling! :)

More! More!