Why are they releasing tickets like this? Theories anyone?

?

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Like how?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897

?

I don't actually know obviously, but if I had to guess, in the specific case of TOTD, it's because they felt uncertain about how much interest there would be. I'm sure most of us think it's nuts to think that these shows would be anything other than an immediate sellout, but I bet it feels different when you're in the industry and actually counting on tours to earn a living. I'm sure there is always a pretty strong sense of "oh my god, is anyone going to come to the show??"
    If it's not that, then who the fuck knows.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete Posts: 613
    At this point they know there's a big demand. So why not give the fanclubs another shot?
    edited July 2016

At this point they know there's a big demand. So why not give the fanclubs another shot?

They don't necessarily know that. Maybe, but not necessarily. Artists misjudge demand one way or another all the time. I feel like they wouldn't have held back the second shows if they were 100% confident about demand. Another sign that they weren't was the week-long pre-sale. That long a pre-sale without a lottery for Chris Cornell/Soundgarden suggests to me that they weren't confident about it. Or at least I hope not, because otherwise, as you suggest, they made a very conscious decision to keep fanclub members from getting first dibs at as many seats as possible. I just don't see them doing that for no reason.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Posts: 2,209
    i think the 2nd shows were set all along. find it hard to believe they were unsure if they could sell the tower 2 nights. thats silly.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    To be fair CC/SG doesn't have a fan club. They have an e-mail list and are in no situation to run a lottery. It's like being signed up for local radio stations mailing list. You get the odd password when they go on tour, but because they don't run a membership paid fan club, you're not going to get much beyond that. I wouldn't expect CC/SG to do a lottery. They aren't setup for it.

I do agree that they might of misjudge demand. The venue sizes were all over the place, and they didn't preannounce the 2nd shows...

Maybe we'll get lucky and 10c got to hold back some tickets for the 2nd nights and can sell 'em later. I doubt it, but we could get lucky.

It's also possible the band only want to do a handful of dates, so it was never in the cards for anything too big either.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    perhaps they were able to negotiate for double the allotment of fanclub/presale seats for the original shows sold if they played 2 shows and allowed a full regular sale?

I assumed they would be adding multiple shows, the schedule made it a little obvious...

this is nothing new
    edited July 2016
    Zod said:

To be fair CC/SG doesn't have a fan club. They have an e-mail list and are in no situation to run a lottery. It's like being signed up for local radio stations mailing list. You get the odd password when they go on tour, but because they don't run a membership paid fan club, you're not going to get much beyond that. I wouldn't expect CC/SG to do a lottery. They aren't setup for it.

I do agree that they might of misjudge demand. The venue sizes were all over the place, and they didn't preannounce the 2nd shows...

Maybe we'll get lucky and 10c got to hold back some tickets for the 2nd nights and can sell 'em later. I doubt it, but we could get lucky.

It's also possible the band only want to do a handful of dates, so it was never in the cards for anything too big either.

No, CC/SG have never done a lottery. I just meant that the fact that they made the pre-sale a week long meant something to me since pre-sales are usually only 24 hours long (as opposed to 10C lotteries, which are also a week long, but for a good reason). The second I saw that I guessed that they had underestimated sales and even said on the boards that 2nd shows might be announced once they saw how fast the tix sold on that week-long pre-sale (I could be wrong of course... it's just my best guess given the signs).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • kc007kc007 Posts: 282
    My prediction is a 2nd show for msg and a third show for philly.