Consider carrying a fire extinguisher in your vehicle!

On the way home from picking up some groceries a little while ago I saw a small fire breaking out on the side of the road on California Hwy 49 just south of Placerville. There were a few other people trying to stomp the fire out and one guy beating it with an old thin foam mattress (bad idea- this only fans flames!). I tried to scrape away thorny weeds with my bare hands from in of the fire but the fire was too hot. If I (or any of the others there) had kept a small fire extinguisher in my car I very likely could have put that fire out. It built quickly after our failed attempts to stop it and there is a house just up the hill from it. I got out of the way as soon as I heard sirens approaching. I feel sick thinking how easily I could have stopped that fire.

From now on, I keep an extinguisher in the car as I most often have in the past. I just totally blew it not keeping one with me. Please consider keeping an extinguisher in you vehicle!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Thank you for this tip, Brian. I'm so sorry that you had to have that happen, but am glad that you are willing to pass your story on.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    deadendp said:

Thank you for this tip, Brian. I'm so sorry that you had to have that happen, but am glad that you are willing to pass your story on.

Thankfully no homes were lost! I passes that same spot later in the day and the fire crew was mopping up. The house above the fire missed getting torched by about 30 feet! I now have a fire extinguisher in the car!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Also can be used to break a window to get out or get someone else out
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11