The Ride Festival - Tarp Madness

After watching the video on the The Ride Festival's website, I noticed people running with tarps and chairs once the gates opened, hoping to secure their little spot of heaven right in front of the stage. Now, I have never been to this particular event, but I was reminded of the Harvest the Hope concert I attended featuring Uncles Willie and Neil in a cornfield in Nebraska. Same set up - gates opened, we ran, and enjoyed a nice spot in front of the stage for about 80% of the show...until Neil took the stage. At that point, all bets were off. People who had been milling around in back were suddenly in front, stepping on tarps, knocking over chairs and exercising little disregard for property rights and the invisible fences we had all created throughout the day, blissfully ignorant of the invasion that was now upon us.

So here is my two cents for the tarp-toting, chair planting, land grabbing folks this weekend at The Ride - enjoy your place, but once PJ takes the stage, recognize that it will be overrun by the crush of fans who are drawn to the stage like moths to a flame, and while it may be frustrating that you waited in line for five hours before the gates opened, and your reckless new neighbor who just strolled up after picking up some recreational products down the way insists on waving the music out of his face, just go with it. Pack up your little slice of heaven and make room for others.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    I won't be in VIP but agree that your precious tarp only lasts so long.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    At a festival with less than 10,000 I see no need for tarps or any of that madness... want a casual spot to chill at, set up in the back, that is what I would do

The last thing I would want to see is people up front sitting in chairs for PJ performance
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    Yah setting up chairs and tarps at the front of the stage seems like a bad idea? How can you blame other people for also wanting to be closer to the front of the stage? By setting up chairs/tarps your going to take up way more real estate than a bunch of people standing.

My opinion is front of the stage is generally standing room only. When the big bands come on stage, you can't hog all that space.