6/30: "If our lives became too long, would it add to our regret?"

Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
"What will happen in the next five minutes has nothing to do with music. But it is important. Imagine that I am your friend and that you must step back so as not to hurt me. You all have friends up front. I will now count to three, and you will all take three steps back. All who agree say 'Yes' now."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nine-dead-at-pearl-jam-concert-20000817#ixzz4D2AV7Hod
Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Cheers to you. Many hearts and thoughts (not fading away).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JvbpRwoPKw
    Just sing loud :)
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    hedonist said:

X2 Damn shame what happened on 06-30-2000. :prayer:

Was there that night in VA Beach in 2000.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,142
    Lost some friends..16 years ago today..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Emotions were extremely high for the first performance of Its ok after Roskilde. Just an amazing band that truly cares about its fans.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    Ray J. T. said:

Emotions were extremely high for the first performance of Its ok after Roskilde. Just an amazing band that truly cares about its fans.

Absolutely. Anyone who says the band doesn't care about the fans...this is the same band that went into seclusion for July 2000 and considered quitting.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"

Ray J. T. said:

Absolutely. Anyone who says the band doesn't care about the fans...this is the same band that went into seclusion for July 2000 and considered quitting.
    Yup. This would have to be any artist's worse nightmare. Bonaroo 2008 was the first large crowd festival they performed since the event. And they said it took a lot out of them to bring themselves to that performance.
  • While not nearly on the same scale, I saw firsthand in Philly how much they care about their fans when a woman on the rail was dehydrated and fainting during Daughter. Eddie had a laser focus on her. I've listened to the boot and I can hear a difference in the energy in his voice while security was taking care of her and after they got her over the rail and out safely. And the GA crowd that night was nothing remotely like Roskilde, but it didn't change how concerned Eddie was for that woman's safety.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    edited June 2016
    Ray J. T. said:

Ray J. T. said:

Yup. This would have to be any artist's worse nightmare. Bonaroo 2008 was the first large crowd festival they performed since the event. And they said it took a lot out of them to bring themselves to that performance.
    You mean Leeds 2006, and directly after that Reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnU_aRbXDHY
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited June 2016

Ray J. T. said:

Ray J. T. said:

You mean Leeds 2006.
    I thought 08 Bonaroo was the first. At least crowd size wise. But yea you're right, Leeds crowd is just as big if not bigger.
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    The image of Ed on the big screen in tears will forever be burnt into my memory of this tragedy

Why couldn't people just look out for each other...
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838

While not nearly on the same scale, I saw firsthand in Philly how much they care about their fans when a woman on the rail was dehydrated and fainting during Daughter. Eddie had a laser focus on her. I've listened to the boot and I can hear a difference in the energy in his voice while security was taking care of her and after they got her over the rail and out safely. And the GA crowd that night was nothing remotely like Roskilde, but it didn't change how concerned Eddie was for that woman's safety.

He's stopped SEVERAL times to have the crowd back up... :)
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,100
    pjalive21 said:

Why couldn't people just look out for each other...

In crowds that size, sometimes it goes beyond individuals looking out for each other. Safety procedures need to be put in place to ensure this type of thing doesn't happen.
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    hedonist said:

Somehow I missed this thread on the 30th so am commenting a bit late, but every time I watch this clip it blows me away to see how Ed has to struggle to work through the emotion and get to the place where he can even allude to Roskilde and ask the crowd to sing with him. Then to see how much he pours into it - beautiful. One of the highest of many high points for the band, for me.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

hedonist said:

Somehow I missed this thread on the 30th so am commenting a bit late, but every time I watch this clip it blows me away to see how Ed has to struggle to work through the emotion and get to the place where he can even allude to Roskilde and ask the crowd to sing with him. Then to see how much he pours into it - beautiful. One of the highest of many high points for the band, for me.
    Listening the first, second, fifth time - so powerful just through my ears.

But seeing it all, you're right. It's practically tangible, even in this medium. Plus I believe he was sick during this time.

Pretty amazing that such an awful low brought such an opposite.

Mix the light into gray.