Apple patented a way to keep people from filming at concerts and movie theaters on their phones

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    Won't make a bit of difference. As soon as it launches (if it ever does) a new app will be out there that blocks that functionality on your phone and allows you to film anyways. Technology moves to fast and people will find a way around it quickly. I also don't think Apple should be getting involved in determining how or when you can use your phone. I have been using Iphones for a lot of years and if Apple ever went live with this the next phone I need would be something other than an IPhone. I dont film at concerts or anywhere but I do not want them determining when/where/how I use my phone.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Won't make a bit of difference. As soon as it launches (if it ever does) a new app will be out there that blocks that functionality on your phone and allows you to film anyways. Technology moves to fast and people will find a way around it quickly. I also don't think Apple should be getting involved in determining how or when you can use your phone. I have been using Iphones for a lot of years and if Apple ever went live with this the next phone I need would be something other than an IPhone. I dont film at concerts or anywhere but I do not want them determining when/where/how I use my phone.

Fuckin' A!

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    edited June 2016

That's why I'll never buy another IPhone again, I once loved now I can't stand those phones.

Peace

Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    I've still got my Hi8 Sony camcorder. I think I'll just start bringing that to shows. : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited June 2016
    hedonist said:

Fuckin' A!
    Agreed that they should not be telling me how to use my phone. And as for the red part, I am quite certain many people would follow along. This would be a completely idiotic move by Apple if they want to remain the leader in smartphone sales and use. And this, too, is coming from a long-time Apple supporter.
    Personally, I wouldn't care as I only ever snap a picture or two at a show. And that's only if my seats are good enough to get a decent pic, otherwise I don't bother. But I could definitely see it pissing off a majority of concert-goers to the point of making them switch.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,419
    it's a bad precedent to set. it's never a good idea to limit the use of communications devices because they might be needed in cases of emergencies. i mean what if law enforcement needs to use a cell phone at an event. you can't block those. i don't see this technology being used.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    edited June 2016
    Fuck Apple. I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G was released, but based on a number of things they've done, including their planned obsolescence of perfectly good hardware essentially turning my iPhone 4 into a brick, I've had it with them. This is just one more reason in a growing list of reasons why I'll never buy another iPhone.

I'm sure law enforcement will enjoy this new feature though. They can kick on the infrared emitters during any incident responses and keep people from filming them.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

Fuck Apple. I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G was released, but based on a number of things they've done, including their planned obsolescence of perfectly good hardware essentially turning my iPhone 4 into a brick, I've had it with them. This is just one more reason in a growing list of reasons why I'll never buy another iPhone.

I'm sure law enforcement will enjoy this new feature though. They can kick on the infrared emitters during any incident responses and keep people from filming them.

Planned obsolescence is a concept I will never understand. What is the #1 reason that makes me want to buy your product again? The fact that it lasted a long damn time!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I like the idea of phones staying in pockets at concerts, but this seems WAY beyond the bounds of what Apple should be doing. The artists are the ones who should be doing something if they don't like the phones out. All it takes is for someone to come on stage and ask the audience not to do it, and then post their own photos after the show for everyone to download. I don't understand why most artists aren't doing this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    PJ_Soul said:

I like the idea of phones staying in pockets at concerts, but this seems WAY beyond the bounds of what Apple should be doing. The artists are the ones who should be doing something if they don't like the phones out. All it takes is for someone to come on stage and ask the audience not to do it, and then post their own photos after the show for everyone to download. I don't understand why most artists aren't doing this.

I have seen this work. Puscifer inisisted no phones and reminded you when you went into the arena and then when you showed tickets to go the seats. They said there would be no warnings and anyone caught filming would be bounced from the venue. I did not see 1 phone out.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Apple patents a lot as I'm sure most tech companies do ... And many of their patents never make it to an iPhone...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

PJ_Soul said:

I have seen this work. Puscifer inisisted no phones and reminded you when you went into the arena and then when you showed tickets to go the seats. They said there would be no warnings and anyone caught filming would be bounced from the venue. I did not see 1 phone out.
    We got the same thing at our Puscifer show and (minus a couple of early lapses by the infamous Mushrooms Chick), no phones either. I loved it. Really makes a difference in a smaller venue too.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul said:

Totally agree with you, especially about posting photos for download. Phones are one of the reason concerts are becoming less enjoyable ... I especially love the selfie shots from the people just in front complete with the flash going off in the eyes, always enjoyable.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    edited June 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it totally works. Jack White does the same thing (but isn't as hard assed. No threats of ejection. Just an on-stage plea to keep the phones away and a promise to provide great photos of the show and crowd after).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    This is a horrible idea.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    edited June 2016
    If the artist requests you don't photograph or tape or iPhone or whatever at the show and you don't don't comply with that request you don't belong there. Too many so-called "fans" show too much disrespect to artists. Artists are not our slaves, or puppets. Please show some respect and courtesy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I don't like this idea because if you witness something wrong your phone is no longer any use for filming or photographing besides suppose you want to film your child face when there fave song comes on or whatever
    Just saying I think you get the idea
    brianlux said:

If the artist requests you don't photograph or tape or iPhone or whatever at the show and you don't don't comply with that request you don't belong there. Too many so-called "fans" show too much disrespect to artists. Artists are not our slaves, or puppets. Please show some respect and courtesy.

Here here.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Oh & people just LOVE a reason to bag on Apple. Just chill the fuck out with all that.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

Oh & people just LOVE a reason to bag on Apple. Just chill the fuck out with all that.

I was an iPhone fanboy for years. I still think they build quality equipment and a great interface. I also like that they flipped the FBI off when asked to create a backdoor. But the bullshit they pull forcing you to throw a perfectly functional device into the garbage because they decide to no longer support it infuriates me. My iPhone 4 is pristine. No scratches or cracks. Buttons work. Battery is just fine. But I haven't been able to update the iOS for a couple of major revisions, any new apps that are released don't support the old iOS, and any of the apps I frequently use that require updating no longer work on the old iOS. Total bullshit. I wasn't looking for a reason to bag on Apple. I was a fan. Now they can go fuck themselves.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited July 2016

brianlux said:

Here here.
    I'll third this. I immediately think of EV solo shows when I think of disrespect to the artist. I came to hear Ed, not a bunch of jackasses yelling "Eddiiiiieeeeeee!!" throughout the whole damn thing. You are not important. Shut the fuck up!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Looks like I am the only one in favour lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Looks like I am the only one in favour lol

Looks like it.

Iphones suck
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited July 2016
    I'd bet to say that 95% of phone videos and images from shows a poor quality anyways..

Nothing like seeing the person with zero photography knowledge thinking the focus assist beam or flash will make their picture or video better on their phone or a cheap point and shoot.. all it does is annoy the crap out of people around you.
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I cant wait until the next iphone is able to perform minor surgery.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    To disable this feature please fly to the forest moon of Endor.
    Keep in mind the patent isn't for a feature on the iPhone. It's for an external device that jams photography on smartphones. And while I don't agree with it, and while it most likely would be iPhone proprietary (why would a competitor want to make their phones compatible), everyone saying "fuck iPhones" have their anger directed at the wrong thing.

Keep in mind the patent isn't for a feature on the iPhone. It's for an external device that jams photography on smartphones. And while I don't agree with it, and while it most likely would be iPhone proprietary (why would a competitor want to make their phones compatible), everyone saying "fuck iPhones" have their anger directed at the wrong thing.

That is true. They should be saying "Fuck Apple" instead.

It's not anger. And I don't not like apple. I do not like iphones.