Options

No Code and Yield - 24bit Versions Now Available - Update: 192kHz/24bit files coming 8/5 (9/2 now?)

AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
edited August 2016 in The Porch
Both 'No Code' and 'Yield" are available now as 24bit (44.1kHz) versions over at Pono. These are only appearing in the Canadian store at Pono, not the US yet. Hoping to pick these up soon and hear them in high-res for the first time. Will report back.

UPDATE: Both albums will be out at 192kHz/24bit high-resolution on 8/5 (9/2 now?). The 44.1/24 were pushed early by mistake. Can't wait!!!
Post edited by AAJC on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,905
    YES!!!! But 44.1kHz quality?

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited June 2016
    OG Vinyl Rips for me. With all new "Hi Res" stuff distributors should have to divulge the lineage.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    these are probably the files used for the upcoming repress/re-issue :whistle:
  • Options
    demetrios said:

YES!!!! But 44.1kHz quality?

I'll take it for now. While yes it could be 96kHz, like 'Vitalogy' and 'Vs' are (in the US store), this make me much more excited given they're my fav albums.
  • Options

Yea, would't that be a kick in the nuts...Vinyl cut from 24/44.1
  • Options
    MedozK said:

They said the repress was, "mastered for vinyl" so maybe we still have hope :)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    MedozK said:

Ugh.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Surprised these haven't shown up yet on Pono's USA store or any other site like HDTracks.com
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Surprised these haven't shown up yet on Pono's USA store or any other site like HDTracks.com

Agreed. I bought them from Pono. Here's the DR values for the 24 bit and original 16 bit. Bit (no pun intended there. haha) of an assumption on my part, but perhaps it's a new remaster? I tell ya, they sound great whatever they are.

No Code (Pono 24 bit): 9, 5, 7, 6, 7, 9, 5, 5, 7, 8, 6, 8, 8
    No Code (CD 16 bit): 9, 5, 7, 7, 7, 10, 5, 6, 7, 9, 7, 8, 8

Yield (Pono 24 bit): 6, 7, 7, 6, 7, 7, 6, 9, 6, 8, 7, 7, 7
    Yield (CD 16 bit): 7, 7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 7, 9, 7, 9, 7, 7, 8
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AAJC said:

demetrios said:

Agreed. I bought them from Pono. Here's the DR values for the 24 bit and original 16 bit. Bit (no pun intended there. haha) of an assumption on my part, but perhaps it's a new remaster? I tell ya, they sound great whatever they are.

Hard for me to call single digit DR#s great, but I guess its Rock so no one cares.

I did just check my DR#s for my original US vinyl rips (24bit-96kHz):
    No Code
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR10 -2.91 dB -17.36 dB 2:42 01-Sometimes
    DR9 -0.70 dB -11.46 dB 3:42 02-Hail, Hail
    DR10 -2.00 dB -13.87 dB 3:50 03-Who You Are
    DR10 -1.70 dB -13.65 dB 4:00 04-In My Tree
    DR9 -2.36 dB -13.81 dB 3:52 05-Smile
    DR12 -2.47 dB -17.81 dB 5:59 06-Off He Goes
    DR9 -1.77 dB -11.98 dB 3:37 07-Habit
    DR9 -2.53 dB -13.12 dB 4:03 08-Red Mosquito
    DR10 -2.79 dB -14.62 dB 1:03 09-Lukin
    DR11 -3.19 dB -19.31 dB 5:46 10-Present Tense
    DR10 -2.84 dB -13.85 dB 3:29 11-Mankind
    DR9 -3.90 dB -16.22 dB 2:57 12-I'm Open
    DR10 -3.15 dB -15.81 dB 4:36 13-Around The Bend

and Yield
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR10 -1.32 dB -13.10 dB 2:59 01-Brain Of J.
    DR10 -1.65 dB -15.42 dB 4:17 02-Faithfull
    DR12 -0.70 dB -15.51 dB 4:18 03-No Way
    DR11 -1.08 dB -15.26 dB 3:59 04-Given To Fly
    DR11 -2.18 dB -16.77 dB 3:25 05-Wishlist
    DR11 -1.89 dB -16.22 dB 2:55 06-Pilate
    DR10 -1.30 dB -14.15 dB 3:52 07-Do The Evolution
    DR12 -2.25 dB -16.98 dB 1:08 08-· (Red Dot)
    DR11 -1.45 dB -14.19 dB 2:27 09-MFC
    DR12 -1.88 dB -16.19 dB 3:45 10-Low Light
    DR11 -1.59 dB -15.30 dB 4:58 11-In Hiding
    DR10 -2.19 dB -14.95 dB 2:27 12-Push Me, Pull Me
    DR11 -0.70 dB -16.40 dB 4:01 13-All Those Yesterdays

Yield is much better, but the vinyl No Code still has some clipping too.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I like how people use numbers now to determine what sounds good... computer programs telling us the dynamic range of songs, which is essentially the difference between the lowest and highest sound correct? Is that truly an accurate indicator of good sound quality? I see it as measuring how high and low a recording gets, which I understand is important, but dosent really quantify actual sound quality?

I like the good old fashioned ear test
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    AAJC said:

demetrios said:

So it looks like the CD sounds better? If so why should people buy the digital file? Seems like a waste of $
  • Options
    The Yield CD is a great sounding CD - they did that one right!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    my2hands said:

I like how people use numbers now to determine what sounds good... computer programs telling us the dynamic range of songs, which is essentially the difference between the lowest and highest sound correct? Is that truly an accurate indicator of good sound quality? I see it as measuring how high and low a recording gets, which I understand is important, but dosent really quantify actual sound quality?

I like the "good old fashioned ear test" also, but if you A/B two recordings and like one over the other and then check the DR... 9.9 times outta 10 you have chosen the one with the higher DR.

I use the DR#s to give me an idea of the "air" and "separation" of a recording. Low numbers to me show compression and fatiguing "loudness".
    my2hands said:

So it looks like the CD sounds better? If so why should people buy the digital file? Seems like a waste of $

I don't think you should without mastering and lineage details. I think most 24bit files are a placebo, users think they sound better because..its "24bit"

But it really comes down to what you enjoy. Buy what you want.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I never use DR numbers to tell me whether to buy an album or not and/or whether it's a good album or not. But when I'm like "man, that sounds crazy terrible!" I go and have a look and what do you know, some mastering engineer ruined the dynamic range by compressing the album way too much. Here's a good visual of what's involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7W5Gin9v0#action=share

Anyway, everyone has a different reason for analyzing their audio or finding the DR values. All this thread was for was providing some information on "new" 24bit versions of two of the best Pearl Jam albums and providing some data behind the CD vs the 24bit versions to see if there was a difference or not. No need to get into what you or I should do or not do. Whatever makes you happy. Enjoy... or don't.

AC
  • Options
    I should note. For some reason the 24bit versions have been pulled from PonoMusic. Trying to find out why.
  • Options
    AAJC said:

No need to get into what you or I should do or not do. Whatever makes you happy. Enjoy... or don't.
    AC

Agree completely. But to all the Hi-Res vendors, "don't piss in a jar and call it granny's peach tea" I still think they should give us mastering details and lineage of the files. I hate buying blindly.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    MedozK said:

AAJC said:

No need to get into what you or I should do or not do. Whatever makes you happy. Enjoy... or don't.
    AC

Agree completely. But to all the Hi-Res vendors, "don't piss in a jar and call it granny's peach tea" I still think they should give us mastering details and lineage of the files. I hate buying blindly.
    Or in my case, buying AGAIN without knowing is it superior to what I already own.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AAJC said:

I should note. For some reason the 24bit versions have been pulled from PonoMusic. Trying to find out why.

Probably pulled from PonoMusic cause they were up so early. Should of been up in August when the vinyl reissues are released.

Though if there is a problem with the 24Bit Flac's let's just pray they put up better kHz Flacs up @ Pono. 96kHz or greater.

Was gonna buy them them but the fact they charge taxes and the currency in USA funds (on the Pono Canada store) turned me away from buying from the Pono store.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

AAJC said:

AC

Ya, I totally agree. I don't know why no one will give these details... well, I think I do, probably because if the details were out there people would see that (in some cases) they're not worth buying. It's too bad really. Would be nice to see some effort into getting really top quality recordings out there.
  • Options
    demetrios said:

AAJC said:

Probably pulled from PonoMusic cause they were up so early. Should of been up in August when the vinyl reissues are released.

Though if there is a problem with the 24Bit Flac's let's just pray they put up better kHz Flacs up @ Pono. 96kHz or greater.

Was gonna buy them them but the fact they charge taxes and the currency in USA funds (on the Pono Canada store) turned me away from buying from the Pono store.
    I'm hoping for a higher resolution too. 44.1/24 is a bit sad, but if there is a 96kHz version coming I'll get a free upgrade for them (thanks to Pono).

Ya, the cost is high, especially for us Canadians.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

AAJC said:

AC

I agree with this... I usually don't buy any vinyl pressed after the 80's unless its specifically states some of these things... unless of course its PJ reissuing No Code & Yield lol
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,053
    MedozK said:

"don't piss in a jar and call it granny's peach tea"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Both albums will be out at 192kHz/24bit high-resolution on 8/5. Can't wait!!!
  • Options
    AAJC said:

• Options
    demetrios said:

AAJC said:

I'm more like Michael in the image. Very reluctant till I hear it.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    MedozK said:

demetrios said:

AAJC said:

192 kHz is overkill. Waste of space.
  • Options

MedozK said:

demetrios said:

AAJC said:

Feel free to convert them to 96/24 when/if you get them.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    AAJC said:

MedozK said:

demetrios said:

AAJC said:

Feel free to convert them to 96/24 when/if you get them.
    96 kHz is also a waste of space. Unless you're an animal that can hear frequencies as high as 48 kHz.