Options

Missoula June 20th 1998!

primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,338
Who else was there? Fans lined up on the side of the mountain and a marriage proposal! Oh and one of matt camerons first shows with the band.
Summerfest 7/8/95
Missoula 6/20/98
Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
Champaign 4/23/03
Alpine Valley 6/21/03
Missoula 8/29/05
Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
Grand Rapids 5/19/06
Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
Tampa 6/12/08
Chicago 8/23/09
Indy 5/7/10
Alpine Valley x2 2011
Wrigley 2013
Milwaukee 14
Telluride 16

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    Nobody. They've all moved on because it was in 1998. You are the only one left who still lives in the past.

....just kidding. I bet that experience was incredible!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    20 years old in college - loved that tour. I finally paid off all the student loan money I used to buy tickets and travel.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,590
    I was there. Did a Yellowstone hike in the morning and saw the show in the evening. Town went off after the show, but I was so exhausted I passed out in my hotel room.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    I was there!! drove out from seattle... Goodness opened, Nice hot sunny day.. good memories.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Wow! 18 frickin' years ago....

I was there in GA. Fantastic show. Wish there was a decent bootleg and I still kick myself in the ass for not picking up a poster. D'oh!!!
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227

Who else was there? Fans lined up on the side of the mountain and a marriage proposal! Oh and one of matt camerons first shows with the band.

I drove over from Seattle. Went to another seven that leg of the tour.

Was Matts third show.... Aerospace club show in Seattle, and Tibet Freedom Conert in Dc were the first and second.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    there is no such thing as a bad pearl jam show in 1998!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    edited June 2016
    I was there. It was my first real Pearl Jam show (only previously having seen them do a relatively short set at Lollapalooza). It was a really good couple of days.

I technically drove out from Victoria, BC, but I was on a cross Canada trip with a friend of mine. We weren't sure if we'd end up back in Vancouver on time for the Vancouver show. We bought Missoula tickets, and dropped down from Calgary to see the show. We got to Missoula two days early and there was this epic Thunderstorm and flooded alot of places. We were camping in the KoA. Ended up sleeping in the car instead of the tent. Rented a cabin for the next night.

The show was pretty awesome. I think it was Matt Cameron's first full show (they had done a warmup gig in Seattle). The weather was perfect the day of the show. Sunny (not too hot, not too cold). The place was sold out, so people were watching from this hill/mountain behind the stadium. Only the floor was GA so the pit wasn't too bad. Really friendly pit really... Pretty good setlist. I remember getting to hear pilate (which I had listended to over and over again on the g2f single before Yield game out). That dude got to propose on stage. Another guy got up on stage and Eddie had to protect him from security.

Missoula was my real introduction to Pearl Jam's live show. Even though I saw them at Lolla I consider Missoula to be my first actual show. The show that got me hooked.

I've still got the poster (which you were able to buy at an outside merch booth, with zero lineups or crazy people.. haha).

edit: I still made it back to Vancouver for that show too, and then ended up going to Seattle for the 2nd Seattle show. Was a good summer for PJ shows.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2016
    Still the best tour. Almost every city hadn't seen them since at least 94 so the hype was insane.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

I was there in GA. Fantastic show. Wish there was a decent bootleg and I still kick myself in the ass for not picking up a poster. D'oh!!!

Entire stadium was GA.....
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    mr bungle said:

Hobbes said:

In the stands, too? I was on the floor.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hobbes said:

mr bungle said:

Hobbes said:

In the stands, too? I was on the floor.
    yes sir! Fan club seniority didn't mean shit back in the all GA days. However I got a sweet spot about the 25 yard line Stone's side 12 rows up.
    Post edited by mr bungle on
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    (My fellow Torontonians will get the references here):

I remember Dave Bookman reporting on this show for 102.1 The Edge, and he began by saying: "I don't mean to stereotype, but I just got here and literally the first thing I saw was a pickup truck with a gun in the back..."
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    mr bungle said:

Hobbes said:

I'm not quiet sure thats right. I know the floor and bleachers had different tickets. The entire floor was it's own GA section. I was on the floor so I don't know if the bleachers were reserved, or they treated the bleachers as an enitrely different GA section.

What I do remember is a jumper. Some kid tried to escape the confines of the bleachers and jumped onto the floor. A security guard dropped all his other responsibilities and attempt to chase him. The kid (well 18 or 19, I call that a kid now) ran straight into the pit. The security guard waited outside the pit and several songs later I saw the kid come out of the pit, and the security guard nabbed him and kicked him out.

I'm pretty sure if you had bleacher tickets you couldn't access the floor (hence why the pit wasn't nearly as brutal as say Seattle '98 where the whole frigging stadium was one giant GA section.. like a festival). I'm somewhat certain the seats were reserved, but it could have simply between two GA sections. GA Floor and GA seats. I do know for certain that they were divided.

edit: Tickets were insanely easy to get. It was my first pair of 10c tickets. Back then it was all through the mail, and they made you choose backup shows in case they ran out. Basically back then you didn't know you got your 10c tickets until after the regular onsale, so it cause a little paranoia. I ended up calling up the box office the morning it went on sale. It went right to a person, and she got me GA floor tickets with no problems. So we had two pairs of floor tickets. I sold the 2nd pair to friends who wanted to road trip out but they backout at the last second, so that pair went unused :(
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Zod said:

mr bungle said:

Hobbes said:

I'm not quiet sure thats right. I know the floor and bleachers had different tickets. The entire floor was it's own GA section. I was on the floor so I don't know if the bleachers were reserved, or they treated the bleachers as an enitrely different GA section.

What I do remember is a jumper. Some kid tried to escape the confines of the bleachers and jumped onto the floor. A security guard dropped all his other responsibilities and attempt to chase him. The kid (well 18 or 19, I call that a kid now) ran straight into the pit. The security guard waited outside the pit and several songs later I saw the kid come out of the pit, and the security guard nabbed him and kicked him out.

I'm pretty sure if you had bleacher tickets you couldn't access the floor (hence why the pit wasn't nearly as brutal as say Seattle '98 where the whole frigging stadium was one giant GA section.. like a festival). I'm somewhat certain the seats were reserved, but it could have simply between two GA sections. GA Floor and GA seats. I do know for certain that they were divided.

edit: Tickets were insanely easy to get. It was my first pair of 10c tickets. Back then it was all through the mail, and they made you choose backup shows in case they ran out. Basically back then you didn't know you got your 10c tickets until after the regular onsale, so it cause a little paranoia. I ended up calling up the box office the morning it went on sale. It went right to a person, and she got me GA floor tickets with no problems. So we had two pairs of floor tickets. I sold the 2nd pair to friends who wanted to road trip out but they backout at the last second, so that pair went unused :(
    The whole stadium was GA.. Maybe there was wrist bands for the floor.. I don't remember that. But yes I was also at Seattle both nights in 98 and my memory was it was the same as Missoula.
  • Options
    mr bungle said:

The whole stadium was GA.. Maybe there was wrist bands for the floor.. I don't remember that. But yes I was also at Seattle both nights in 98 and my memory was it was the same as Missoula.

Missoula was different. I very much remember security keeping people from the stands to get on the floor (and my ticket is a floor ticket, which would be moot, if the whole venue was a single GA section). Definitely different than Seattle. Seattle's pit was such a clustf*** because it was all GA an no division between floor/seats... it was mayhem.. it was crazy and awesome :)

There were all over the place on that one. I went to 3 shows. We got Missoula doing it's think, Seattle as one big giant GA mess, and then Vancouver for some reason had seated seats on the floor that year.. weird.
  • Options
    Zod said:

mr bungle said:

Missoula was different. I very much remember security keeping people from the stands to get on the floor (and my ticket is a floor ticket, which would be moot, if the whole venue was a single GA section). Definitely different than Seattle. Seattle's pit was such a clustf*** because it was all GA an no division between floor/seats... it was mayhem.. it was crazy and awesome :)

There were all over the place on that one. I went to 3 shows. We got Missoula doing it's think, Seattle as one big giant GA mess, and then Vancouver for some reason had seated seats on the floor that year.. weird.
    ok , we are living parallel lives...lol.. I had GA Missoula 10club tix. I got there about half an hour before gates opened wanting to get a good seat in the stands with a great view. There were lines hundreds deep at every gate. I knew most people were going for the floor so I felt great about my chances of getting a great spot in the stands. which I did. Back to our parallel lives.. I went to both Seattle shows that year and we agree THE WHOLE VENUE WAS GA.. I decided this was the night my wife and I would do the pit.. Got there early.. Saw Zeke was it? and maybe Wallflowers?Pearl Jam hit and my wife made it to Whipping (maybe 4-5 songs in and we had to tap out and move to the back of the pit.. Second night we knew better and sat in the stands (10 yard line). Then we went to Portland and Vancouver and were stunned that there were seats on the floor, it was the first time I had seen seats on the floor of a PJ headline show..
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    Stands and field were different. The story above about the jumper was real. It started a whole scene of jumpers. I was field, watching the show and got just plowed from behind by a guy who jumped and was running from security to get into the crowd. Never saw him coming, completely blindsided. People were partying like crazy for that show. Great show. That moment sucked, but the rest of it was super cool. Wish they'd do it again. The Stones and Paula McCartney have both recently played that stadium but that's about it if I'm not mistaken.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,338
    Yes there were GA floor tickets and GA bleacher seats. You had one or the other. They had seperate entries into the stadium. Everyone that had floor tickets entered through the arena which is connected to the stadium. Everyone that had bleacher tickets enterered through the main gate on the south end of the stadium.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Thanks guys for clearing it up.. I have to say I was pretty tanked up when entering and I did have ten club tix.. I don't remember the diff between field and bowl on the tix, but I was intending on getting good seats in the stands regardless.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Nice, I wasn't going crazy... lol.. btw I love Montana. We drive down there and find out stretches of the highway have no speed limits (mega fun). Then we were at a Denny's and a dude in a truck was drinking a beer. A cop is in the parking lot looking at him, and my friend asks him if he's allowed to do that. Cop says you can drink and drive in Montana if your under the legal limit. Montana seemed like the crazy free to place to us... lol
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Ten Club tix were GA on the field. We entered below through the field house. My sisters tix were GA stands and she couldn't join us. This I remember because I had to choose my best bud to join me instead if her, as she got tickets after us. I made it close to the rail for Black and used up most my energy in the process. I remember giving up when State of Love and Trust started because I couldn't fight that chaos and dropped back a bit.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    WSUFreakWSUFreak Posts: 122
    My first show. Had GA stand tickets but paid a little more outside the gates and upgraded to floors (great move). Awesome pit, we got super close but also had to fall back.

Watching all those people jumping the rail was insane. I know some of the security were football players from Eastern Washington University over in Cheney, and they sure enjoyed tackling those poor kids!

Loved Eddie's story about Montana and its big meth problems being in the news. "If you're going to do something, if you are going to be something... be the best!"

Also, "You're all just here (college) to learn how to fuck and you know it!".

I got a below average sounding bootleg around here somewhere...
  • Options

Ten Club tix were GA on the field. We entered below through the field house. My sisters tix were GA stands and she couldn't join us. This I remember because I had to choose my best bud to join me instead if her, as she got tickets after us. I made it close to the rail for Black and used up most my energy in the process. I remember giving up when State of Love and Trust started because I couldn't fight that chaos and dropped back a bit.

I think Missoula '98 was one of the last concerts I crowd surfed at. I was in the pit the entire time, and someone offered me a boost up during Yellow Ledbetter. When you go into a pit, you tend to lose the person you went with. So during Ledbetter I'm surfiing around to the greatest closing song ever.. and my friend did the same thing.. so we end up running into each other and surfing out the end of the concert...

I think Seattle II that year was the last concert I surfed at. I basically got too tall, big, and heavy to crowd surf, so I called it quits after that. Heavy people crowd surfing isn't cool :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I definitely got my share of Doc Marten's upside my head in the pit from crowd surfers. Trying to watch the stage and also be aware of bodies surfing from above was tough.
  • Options
    It used to be a badge of honor surviving pits. You really had to earn your place at the front. The real front would be a super dense sea of humanity. Super squished together. It would sway back and forth. You'd have to give it your all to keep your balance, try not to slip on other peoples sweat, and try to keep from getting your head knocked off from crowd surfers.

Anyone could go to the front back then. All you had to do was run into the pit and hold your own.

Typing this I'm not sure what's worse. Camping out for 24 hours to get a good spot or surviving a classic mosh pit for 2 or 3 hours....
  • Options
    Very good description of the old school pit. Craziest for me was Golden Gate Park 1995 in San Fransisco(the infamous Eddie food poison show). I had to fight through an 60 minute Bad Religion punk set to keep the rail with my best friend. When Pearl Jam hit the first notes of Last Exit I could feel 25,000 on the floor pushing to get closer, to where we were. Within seconds my friend was gone in wave of fans jumping up and down and side to side. People were getting crushed and were turning blue, and we had to help several out over the barricade. The sway of the crowd meant you had to use your shoulders, legs, back, forearms, whatever to hold your ground. The crowd surfers from above seemed relentless, no break from moving them up and the fuck away from you, meaning your sides took a beating as you raised your arms, or if you were pinned in you got kicked in the head. And to move up you had to go through those real mosh pit circles where people were elbowing and trying to knock you on your ass, or trying to push you from the edge into it. We had to go through quite a few if those to move up. And you never knew where one would break out and leave you at the edge to watch your back or push back those slamming toward you. It was a lot of fun at 18, don't think it would be so much today.
  • Options
    Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Do you recommend to go to Missoula 2018?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,807
    Goodness released their opening set over @ https://goodnessband.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-missoula-62098

Hopefully Pearl Jam will officially release their set too digitally & physically. Maybe an up coming Vault release ..

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    Poster for this show was amazing. Hope there is a variation on it in 2018.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."