Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,548
    https://www.instagram.com/johnmayer/

johnmayer - Without this man Eddie Vedder and @pearljam I wouldn't be a singer. Or a songwriter. I wouldn't have tried to be as interesting with vocal melodies as he is. Without Mike McCready and 'Yellow Ledbetter' there is no 'Slow Dancing in a Burning Room' and without their record No Code there would be no Born and Raised. Saturday night at Bonnaroo gave me an opportunity to (clumsily) close the loop and pay my respects to the guys, their music and their navigating as a band through the years. Thanks for the kindness.
  • cdlongroadcdlongroad Posts: 30
    Really nice comments. Respect.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    While I've never had reason to like the guy, this means way WAY more to me than Bieber wearing a T-Shirt, shows true love and knowledge, good on ya JohnM
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366
    His Born and Raised record is great IMO. Cool to hear about his respect/love of Pearl Jam.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited June 2016
    John Mayer is great at guitar so it is okay that he likes Pearl Jam the way we do. He has the ability to understand the greatness of Pearl Jam unlike those pop singers who use drum loops. We will let him in the club.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself Posts: 8,818

John Mayer is great at guitar so it is okay that he likes Pearl Jam the way we do. He has the ability to understand the greatness of Pearl Jam unlike those pop singers who use drum loops. We will let him in the club.

I second that motion. :wink:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • NSLNSL Posts: 293
    I wouldn't say i'm a fan of his songs but no denying he's a fantastic guitar player. Seen him play solo and with Dead & Co and he kills it. The JM trio is fantastic from what i've heard
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    2024-08-26 - Noblesville, IN
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    where''s our resident mayer buddy these days? cpat i think was his board name. he was from nyc and knows john personally and was nice enough to get john to personally sign my continuum cd. good guy. he told us of the story of john and him growing up digging on pearl jam together. i've been a mayer fan for over 10 years. seen him tons of times. he's amazing and the fact that he joined dead and company and is currently rocking that is amazing. a dream come true for me, as a mayer fan and as a deadhead. good he got to meet his hero. not many of us get that chance.
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 212
    Ok - I tend to sit on the sidelines here in the forum, however, I have to chime in on this one. Thanks for posting Demetrois. It is nice to read something and know that it is not just lip service. I grew-up in the same town as John M. My best friend's younger brother was good friends with Mayer. They use to hang out a bunch in my buddies the garage playing music - John was extremely shy and introverted. He would tend to stop playing when people would come around. The guy always had his guitar with him - always - it is no surprise he is so talented. He would cover DMB and PJ back in the day. He knew PJ's Daughter before he wrote his version of Daughter. Would be nice to hear him pay homage one of these days in concert and do Daughter(s) back to back. Way to go John - nice touch.
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    He's got some skills with the guitar and young starlets as well.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590

where''s our resident mayer buddy these days? cpat i think was his board name. he was from nyc and knows john personally and was nice enough to get john to personally sign my continuum cd. good guy. he told us of the story of john and him growing up digging on pearl jam together. i've been a mayer fan for over 10 years. seen him tons of times. he's amazing and the fact that he joined dead and company and is currently rocking that is amazing. a dream come true for me, as a mayer fan and as a deadhead. good he got to meet his hero. not many of us get that chance.

Ha, I had actually forgotten about getting that cd signed but was happy to do it.

Yeah, John and I grew up together, been friends since 6th grade when we met in middle school. We were introduced to PJ in high school as Ten came out our freshman year. I probably remember us listening to VS and Vitalogy together more, I don't know why but for some reason I can specifically remember listening to Nothingman in my buddy's car with all of us singing along. John loves No Code, it's my favorite PJ album as well and we've spoken about it many times together.

You may not hear it in his vocals so much now, but if you were to go back and listen to John's high school band "Villanova Junction", you can clearly hear Eddie's influence on his vocals.

John actually sent me this picture about an hour before Pearl Jam's set at Bonnaroo, made me really happy to see that he finally got his chance to meet Eddie and speak to him for a bit. I think the whole experience was a real thrill for him, knowing how big a fan John is and how much of an influence was and has been to his own music. I'm real happy for him that this came together.

"This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Respect him even more for the No Code shout out
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    That's cool. I like john mayer's music as well.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Good stuff. While I didn't like "pop star" John Mayer's music, I like who he has become. He's an absolute master of his instrument, and gets respect and props for our living guitar legends. He really is an amazing artist.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Croos1226Croos1226 Posts: 338
    I have to agree with all the comments here. That Mayer kid can really play the guitar. While not too much of a fan of his solo/aimed at the female audience work, his stuff with the JMT is really good.
    Throw him in a room with Pino and Steve and i'll buy a ticket to see that any day.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    edited June 2016
    chimpat said:

Ha, I had actually forgotten about getting that cd signed but was happy to do it.

Yeah, John and I grew up together, been friends since 6th grade when we met in middle school. We were introduced to PJ in high school as Ten came out our freshman year. I probably remember us listening to VS and Vitalogy together more, I don't know why but for some reason I can specifically remember listening to Nothingman in my buddy's car with all of us singing along. John loves No Code, it's my favorite PJ album as well and we've spoken about it many times together.

You may not hear it in his vocals so much now, but if you were to go back and listen to John's high school band "Villanova Junction", you can clearly hear Eddie's influence on his vocals.

John actually sent me this picture about an hour before Pearl Jam's set at Bonnaroo, made me really happy to see that he finally got his chance to meet Eddie and speak to him for a bit. I think the whole experience was a real thrill for him, knowing how big a fan John is and how much of an influence was and has been to his own music. I'm real happy for him that this came together.

So, so cool! I'm ecstatic to finally see him with Dead and Company from the pit in NY, I personally think he's the most soulful (and best) blues guitarist in at least a few decades. Great to know we share a common love.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,066
    just listen to 'Covered in rain' and you'll understand why this guy is amazing
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    benjs said:

So, so cool! I'm ecstatic to finally see him with Dead and Company from the pit in NY, I personally think he's the most soulful (and best) blues guitarist in at least a few decades. Great to know we share a common love.

I'm excited for the Citi Field shows as well. Haven't seen Dead & Co. yet but I'll be at the Saturday show. Should be a great time.

"This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    I have been a fan of JM for years now and have read articles where he gives mad props to PJ....dudes got good taste in music. I would rate Continuum as one of the greatest records of all time and it is definitely on my top ten list. The live albums "Where the Light Is" and "Try" by the JM Trio are both awesome and also must haves.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • JF49547JF49547 Posts: 64
    Mad props here for Mayer since the beginning. Here is a great fan-made documentary.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/91168154

• Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,066
    edited June 2016
    https://youtu.be/VNu0M2A2KMk?t=51

just listen from the first minute
    Post edited by Force Of Nature on

i know nothing about this song and i'm a fan. can you tell me which cd it's from. i looked and i couldn't find anything. great song and a good call. ty ty
    chimpat said:

thanks again eh. its one of my prized possessions :)
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023

i know nothing about this song and i'm a fan. can you tell me which cd it's from. i looked and i couldn't find anything. great song and a good call. ty ty
    One of the best versions is a live version on As Is. Unfortunately there is no actual studio release of Covered in Rain. This song is a sequel to City love which is on Room for Squares. It's a reference to 9/11!
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,517
    Is my body a wonderland?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,687
    Malroth said:

Is my body a wonderland?

Depends

Are you Jessica Simpson?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    While I'm not a fan of his music, but I am a fan of his guitar work, the dude just shreds like no other. The remaining members of The Greatful Dead sans Phil Leash wouldn't just pick anyone to play with them. He will always have my respect for playing with remaining members of The Grateful Dead sans Phil Leash and for No Code being his favorite PJ album.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Ray J. T. said:

One of the best versions is a live version on As Is. Unfortunately there is no actual studio release of Covered in Rain. This song is a sequel to City love which is on Room for Squares. It's a reference to 9/11!

thanks. i was determined to find it last night and ended up buying a used copy of the cd as/is from amazon. i have no idea why i didn't know about this release/cd. it's a really great song so thanks for turning me onto it !
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023

Ray J. T. said:

thanks. i was determined to find it last night and ended up buying a used copy of the cd as/is from amazon. i have no idea why i didn't know about this release/cd. it's a really great song so thanks for turning me onto it !
    No problem. Enjoy. It is in fact a great fucking song.