Dear PJ, please play a Tragically Hip song at Wrigley 1.

Now, PJ is full of a bunch of smart guys who have a deep musical knowledge and impeccable timing when it comes to matters such as these, so this thread might not even be needed but... they are busy guys, so consider this a gentle reminder.

I know there are a few 'please play this at' threads but this one is slightly different as I'm not asking for a cut from their back catalogue but rather that they pay tribute to band full of kindred souls. Simply said, Tragically Hip is Canada's Pearl Jam. They both are the considered the seminal band of their respective countries. That normally wouldn't be enough to warrant such a request but there is two other reasons why I'm posting this.

1. At least Stone & Jeff are fans. I recall seeing an interview way back in they day at a Seattle radio station in which they acknowledged their love for the band.
2. August 20th. Wrigley 1. Also happens to be the day the Tragically Hip play their last show... ever. The only reason this is happening is because Gord Downie, the band's vocalist, has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. That news affected Canada and 'hip' music fans around the world in a big, big way...

So, that being said. I think it's serendipitous that PJ is just happening to be playing the same night as The Hip's last show. If they are still fans, as I know they once were, then it would be absolutely magical if they could acknowledge the Tragically Hip in some way that night. If not, totally cool. I had reservations asking for more from a band that has given me so much but it's just something I felt compelled to do. Hip tune or not, Wrigley 1 will still be the highlight of my concert going career, no matter what the set list is.

Please post below if you support the idea and suggest Hip songs you'd love to hear PJ cover.

My picks are:
The Last of the Unplucked Gems
Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)
Inevitability of Death
Ahead By a Century
Bobcaygeon

Comments

• RyanRyan Posts: 1,102
    Enough with these requests, let the band do what they want.

And it's highly speculative that night will be The Hip's last sure. I doubt they know what happens going forward, but if Gord is doing ok health wise I'm sure there will be another show or two, or tour.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Merely a suggestion dude, chill...
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,102

Merely a suggestion dude, chill...

It's been suggested already, in three different threads that are probably one or two pages back.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Maybe you should go to their concert instead.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • man, people are touchy.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    know1 said:

I do agree though, why would you request pearl jam to play another bands songs? It's silly... I'm a hip fan myself but the thought of pj playing the hip is kinda ridicules
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460
    Typically bands cover songs of other bands that are influences, they like, are friends etc... for example, I went to the City and Colour show in Edmonton on Friday, Gord and Dallas are friends, have collaborated on songs in the past etc...

It wasn't unique to the Edmonton show, he's been doing it all tour, but Dallas play Bobcaygeon for a "friend".

If Pearl Jam are fans of the Hip I could see it happening, but the Hip don't have much of a following outside of Canada so might be a stretch. I will be at Wrigley and will dig it if they do!
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Bennyorr4Bennyorr4 Posts: 307
    "An Inch an Hour" as well as any from your list. I just think Ed would do it justice and I personally would rather an upbeat song to celebrate Gord's life as opposed to a slower, somber one.

"There's this fuckin' band ya gotta see
    They used to scare the livin' shit outta me
    No frothin' dogs, no cool insanity, Rock n' Roll, no Christianity"

BTW I 100% agree with you, The Hip IS Canada's PJ, No dispute
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    As a Canadian I'm a big fan of the hip, and I too realized that Wrigley 1 occurs the night of the hip's last show. There is the possibility that Downie could live a while if treatments go well, but there's a very strong possibility that that is the last show the hip will ever play. Even if he does manage to live with Brain Cancer a while, the cancer will probably make it difficult for him to do live shows.

That being said, Wrigley is in the US. Sure there will be a number of us Canadian's in attendance, but the crowd is primarily going to be filled with Americans. I think a hip cover would suck the energy out of the place. Maybe if PJ was playing a show in Canada that night, but I think it would be lost on the crowd if they did a hip cover in front of a US crowd.

Eddie could probably solo the shit out of Fiddler's Green or Wheat Kings though.... :)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    tinz. said:

know1 said:

I do agree though, why would you request pearl jam to play another bands songs? It's silly... I'm a hip fan myself but the thought of pj playing the hip is kinda ridicules
    I think it would make sense in Canada, but not at Wrigley. That would be ridiculously random.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    PJ_Soul said:

tinz. said:

know1 said:

I think it would make sense in Canada, but not at Wrigley. That would be ridiculously random.
    Agreed!
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    wheat kings.by the way it will be highly improbable that he does more shows. this disease is brutal. worse than you can imagine. have lost 2 friends to this as well as my friends mother. i won't get into details but it is not pretty. you are only fine for a while.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i don't think wrigley is the place, but the canadian show coming up might be more appropriate .
  • Bennyorr4Bennyorr4 Posts: 307
    foodboy said:

i don't think wrigley is the place, but the canadian show coming up might be more appropriate .

You're probably right. No Hip in the states but here's hoping Pemberton will maybe get a nod to the guys from Canada.