Burning Garbage

Burning garbage gives you so much more! Oh the sweet aroma! Smouldering cardboard and plastic chicken diaper liners melting on the side of a burn barrel. Chef Boyardee pasta remains sizzling in a grease lined can fed by flaming rancid snotty tissues and sanitary napkins entwined in wax laden, week old mayonnaise smeared Saran Wrap. Fish heads wrapped in old newspaper charring slowly against the super heated condominium caps fired by the intense ignition of sulfurous egg shells and flaming greasy beef gristle. Ahhh, such fine redolence wafting toward nostrils that flare oh so gently in order to capture each molecule of the intense fragrance!

Thank you, neighbors, for gracing our evening with your wondrously scented pyre!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Gross!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627

Gross!

True but what's actually worse, what stinks the most, is burning cardboard. Yuk!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I loved burning styrofoam cups over our bbq pit as a kid. The smell itself (then again, airports, gasoline, freshly printed paper, all get me) plus how the shape would shift with the heat. Almost like art.

Subjective I guess, when it comes to scents - and what we imagine their make-up to be (unless you've seen all of those descriptors).

Incense is used frequently here, depending on which neighbor is cooking what. Definitely not to mask the smell of pot.

Anyway, there's a beautiful and carthartic scene from Six Feet Under - setting shit on fire and releasing it. Accompanied by Radiohead.

Is it better to burn your garbage or dump it?
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Growing up, my neighbors always burned their garbage. Once a week, the neighborhood would fill with that same smell. If it wasn't that, it would be the thick nasticious odor that came from their pigs. Our house was on a hill, so the pig stench didn't hit you until midway down the yard.

You know what? They still burn their garbage-- 35 years. :sick:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    That's what I call a job..
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Ew! I couldn't even read that all. Ew!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    hedonist said:

I loved burning styrofoam cups over our bbq pit as a kid. The smell itself (then again, airports, gasoline, freshly printed paper, all get me) plus how the shape would shift with the heat. Almost like art.

Subjective I guess, when it comes to scents - and what we imagine their make-up to be (unless you've seen all of those descriptors).

Incense is used frequently here, depending on which neighbor is cooking what. Definitely not to mask the smell of pot.

Anyway, there's a beautiful and carthartic scene from Six Feet Under - setting shit on fire and releasing it. Accompanied by Radiohead.

Is it better to burn your garbage or dump it?

In the county I live in it's actually illegal to burn garbage. Not that we need a law for everything. In fact, if it were not illegal to burn garbage it would stand to reason for it also not to be illegal for me to poop on the offenders doorstep or some equally obnoxious act. But, no, I would not do that. I go with the "do not burn stinky shit unto others as you would have them not burn stinky shit unto you" philosophy.

As to weather 'tis better to burn or bury, my guess is it's better to compost all that can be composted, recycle all that can be recycled and bury the rest. After composting and recycling, my wife and I are left with about enough trash to fit in a shoe box or less each week. How people fill a whole trash can is beyond me.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My brother in law burns all garbage, including dirty diapers.
    Seriously.

Too cheap to pay for trash removal, but he has hours to burn at the pit trying to get things that are flame resistant to catch fire.
    Too cheap for trash removal but cable TV, an unused Mule, a full tractor for lawn mowing, and a huge EMPTY barn he can afford.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    My brother actually had to turn in a neighbor for burning a pile of car tires. Seriously? Who the hell does that?
    ^^^ Trying to burn fire resistant materials/ burning tires??? Crazy!!

Even legal burning is problematic where we live. El Dorado County has a very high rate of asthma and respiratory problems and yet in the winter many people burn wood for heat with smouldering, smokey fires rather than burn small hot fires (more work) and when permitted, burn yard debris- branches, leaves and needles- in fires that create huge clouds of smoke. Add to that the summer and fall wildfires and breathing becomes hazardous much of the year.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,768
    I prefer Beautiful Garbage to Burning Garbage
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA