What Do You Do When...

bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
Bear with me here... What do you do when someone says they've never heard of Pearl Jam?

Comments

• KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    bflynn1 said:

Bear with me here... What do you do when someone says they've never heard of Pearl Jam?

Punch them in the throat
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Laugh at them, then pity them and then tell them they should listen to them because they won't be disappointed.

Throat punching should be reserved for those who don't like PJ, they have issues.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    edited June 2016

Laugh at them, then pity them and then tell them they should listen to them because they won't be disappointed.

Throat punching should be reserved for those who don't like PJ, they have issues.

This is usually what I do. I haven't had to throat punch anyone yet though. I'm 28 and It just baffles me that some people my age and even a little older haven't heard of them at any time during their lives. How did you go through the 90s and even the 2000s without hearing of them? Even if you didn't listen to them.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I say they are my favourite band. Then I will ask them who their favourite band is (assuming this is all coming up because we are talking about music). And you know what? Most of the time they will name someone I'm not familiar with so who am I to judge them for not knowing Pearl Jam?

It's the people who decide to tell me "Nirvana is better than Pearl Jam" that annoy the shit out of me. Those people, I walk away from.

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited June 2016
    I just say "Ever hear that song 'Arms Wide Open?' Well, that's not Pearl Jam" and THEN I punch them in the throat.
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,482
    They must be under ten years old. If not I'd go with the throat punch lol
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Suziemay said:

I say they are my favourite band. Then I will ask them who their favourite band is (assuming this is all coming up because we are talking about music). And you know what? Most of the time they will name someone I'm not familiar with so who am I to judge them for not knowing Pearl Jam?

It's the people who decide to tell me "Nirvana is better than Pearl Jam" that annoy the shit out of me. Those people, I walk away from.

Excellent points!
  • UndrakanUndrakan Posts: 113
    Suziemay said:

Totally agree.
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    Suziemay said:

Suziemay said:

:lol: Actually, I have to walk away in order to avoid kicking them in the nuts.
  • Never talk to said person again.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • AceCoolAceCool Posts: 455
    edited June 2016
    That kinda stuff used to really piss me off. Now I just accept it for what it is. I first encountered it about 20 years ago when I was writing a check (I know I'm dating myself there) and I mentioned to the younger guy behind the counter that I was filling out check number 2112. He looked at me with a blank expression that conveyed his non-understanding of the reference. I said, "You know, the album by Rush?" to which he replied "Oohhh, yes, I think I migh have heard of them" (of course I could tell he was lying). I just shook my head and walked out. I get this kind of stuff all the time and the excuse is always something like "That band was popular before my time". This is complete bullsh*t because I listen to tons of music that was current before I was born. Some people just pay attention or just don't care to broaden their musical horizons.
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    I don't know that I've had someone say they've never heard of Pearl Jam. Pretty everyone I meet or work with has a clue, even if most of them are not fans. Now, Wilco, yeah, there's a successful, enduring band that most people don't know. I guess I should stop being surprised.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    You exercise their demons.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i live in greece,,so when someone says they do know or heard pj i take a picture with them and i frame it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016
    bflynn1 said:

I would just assume they have no clue what's going on in pop culture and don't pay any attention to music at all, and move on. They are beyond hope. It's not about them liking PJ or not (plenty of people don't). But you really can't like much of ANY music if you don't even know who Pearl Jam is. They are living under a rock. Unless they are old people, like 70+, that is not my type of person, so I wouldn't waste any time talking to them about music.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited June 2016
    I look at them with a blank stare until it gets uncomfortable
  • Warm up a bottle of formula because they are obviously very young!

Or as Chong would say "Where you been livin man, under a rock?"
  • bflynn1 said:

Only one answer OP. Mixtape.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • AceCoolAceCool Posts: 455
    Ray J. T. said:

Is that with a treadmill or a stair stepper?
  • I call Rob and when he answers, pass the phone to whomever told me they had never heard of Pearl Jam.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    AceCool said:

Ray J. T. said:

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,548
    bflynn1 said:

• Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Try being part of my generation (22). Even the few people I know who know PJ can probably name 3 songs. I think I know one guy who's an exception and he came with me to Toronto 2. Its a desolate wasteland out here.
    Do you know what it feels like to sky some PJ tunes in the car for your best buds and they lower the volume? It hurts
    AceCool said:

Ray J. T. said:

AceCool said:

Ray J. T. said:

Whoops, typo! Exorcised!
    edited June 2016
    http://youtu.be/rVoKlqbz1l4

I feel cleansed now.
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Haha great responses in here. I needed a good laugh today after getting shut out of MSG 1 this morning. As someone mentioned above, I have done the mixtape thing before and had success with that. Also, sometimes people have heard a few songs (the usual ones) and decided that they don't like them just based off of that. Then when I show them some of the deeper tracks they start to understand the allure.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    bflynn1 said:

sadly it happens here in Seattle all the time, but then again, they rarely play here anymore, so I just feel sorry for them and play them a song like Rearviewmirror or Corduroy