MLS - Credit to USA for finally embracing Football **Not Soccer**

Gibbon to FlyGibbon to Fly Posts: 74
edited June 2016 in All Encompassing Trip
Just a Line to say it's been noted around the World how the USA is embracing the MLS at the moment. I know it's not always been that way in the past, but 40,000 crowds, decent Stadiums, a real atmosphere at games, a passionate New York derby game the other week (albeit one sided!!). MLS games are being shown here in the UK now, and you guys supporting are coming across as a credit to the teams you follow. Long may it continue. PS - How is Gerrard getting on?

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'

Post edited by Gibbon to Fly on

Comments

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    What?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Gerard est bien.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    Embrassing?

Did you mean embracing? Or embarrassing?

Hard to tell from the op
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    He meant embracing, but with the way soccer is viewed here in the States, embarrassing works as well.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,896
    the hipsters seem to like soccer.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Ha! Apologies, obviously embracing. Lampard aside, can't find anything embarrassing.

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
    Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'

• EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    If you actually watched the games, embarrassing is correct. I mean, it's old timers day every game. We embrace good soccer on tv from across the pond (as they say) while soccer moms glom onto 37 yo has beens running clinics on locals whose parents are happy they can say their little johnnie really made it while making less than entry level programmers.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822

If you actually watched the games, embarrassing is correct. I mean, it's old timers day every game. We embrace good soccer on tv from across the pond (as they say) while soccer moms glom onto 37 yo has beens running clinics on locals whose parents are happy they can say their little johnnie really made it while making less than entry level programmers.

Agreed. MLS is garbage. I've tried several times to get into it but it just doesn't do it for me. Sick of all these 35 year olds coming over here for a couple years for one last payday. And the way the league is run as a whole is a complete mess.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    The MLS had done a good job over the years. If you look at US Men's Team roster from 10-15 years ago most of the players were playing abroad and MLS wasn't competitive enough to pull players from. That has changed dramatically.

Older star players coming over to play is not a new thing in soccer. In Europe, the same players, when unable to compete for the top teams, still can earn big money playing for smaller teams in 'lesser' leagues. Sometimes it even rejuvenates their career. Look at Donadoni when the MLS first started. He wasn't able to start for AC Milan nor the Italian Team. He was so successful in MLS that Italy called him back up.

If you're a football fan then MLS is a decent league. It has been on a steady rise in terms of level of the game and level of players.

eddiec said:

The MLS had done a good job over the years. If you look at US Men's Team roster from 10-15 years ago most of the players were playing abroad and MLS wasn't competitive enough to pull players from. That has changed dramatically.

Older star players coming over to play is not a new thing in soccer. In Europe, the same players, when unable to compete for the top teams, still can earn big money playing for smaller teams in 'lesser' leagues. Sometimes it even rejuvenates their career. Look at Donadoni when the MLS first started. He wasn't able to start for AC Milan nor the Italian Team. He was so successful in MLS that Italy called him back up.

If you're a football fan then MLS is a decent league. It has been on a steady rise in terms of level of the game and level of players.

Yeah, except the starters all play abroad except the older guys who came home bc they were no longer going to play significant roles with their teams.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    So is this a football thread, or a soccer thread?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,768

yes
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Football. The throw, run, concussion sport is something different.