Greenville vs Philly 2

JG108535JG108535 Posts: 187
edited June 2016 in The Porch
I know there has been A LOT of Greenville fluffing because of the VS album.

I just finished Philly 2 and it completely blows Greenville out of the water!

Im not a huge Ten fan, as its songs are en-hoofed in my brain forever, but the setlist and flow of the show is absolutely incredible. Kind of nice to hear Ten in order, definitely made it more powerful, and by getting these classics "out of the way" the setlist that followed was HOT!

My 2¢
Post edited by JG108535 on

Comments

• You are confusing Philly 1 and Philly 2. Philly 2 was 10 in order. Though, philly 1 was underrated in its own right.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366
    I actually think I preferred philly 1 over 2.
  • JG108535JG108535 Posts: 187
    edited June 2016

You are confusing Philly 1 and Philly 2. Philly 2 was 10 in order. Though, philly 1 was underrated in its own right.

Doh! Fix'd....Thanks

namean though???

How about Vs (vs) Ten???

Post edited by JG108535 on
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself Posts: 8,818
    This is such a controversy in my heart. Was at both. GA for both. Mind blown both nights. Can't choose.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    JG108535 said:

You are confusing Philly 1 and Philly 2. Philly 2 was 10 in order. Though, philly 1 was underrated in its own right.

Doh! Fix'd....Thanks

namean though???

How about Vs (vs) Ten???

Ten. But not by very much whatsoever.
    Be honest here....listen to both shows......You know which one was better.......Quit fluffing VS because its, well, VS......that setlist after was WEAK!

Take it easy on me here, Im having fun poking, but really think Greenville was underwhelming.
    JG108535 said:

Be honest here....listen to both shows......You know which one was better.......Quit fluffing VS because its, well, VS......that setlist after was WEAK!

Take it easy on me here, Im having fun poking, but really think Greenville was underwhelming.

IMO I agree the rest of the Greenville set was underwhelming. Glad I didn't spend almost a grand to go to that show.
    If you weren't there you have no idea how electric that building was the ENTIRE set. Greenville was not underwhelming at any point.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    JG108535 said:

Were you actually at Greenville, or just basing your opinion on a boot? Greenville was electric. Crowd was insane. Probably the best show I've been to out of the 30. Not sure why people that attended philly seem to want to slam Greenville to make their show seem more "special". I'm sure philly was great as well, however I'd prefer every other full album show over Philly. I've seen all the Ten songs too many times. Just my opinion.

• Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    jmug23 said:

JG108535 said:

Were you actually at Greenville, or just basing your opinion on a boot? Greenville was electric. Crowd was insane. Probably the best show I've been to out of the 30. Not sure why people that attended philly seem to want to slam Greenville to make their show seem more "special". I'm sure philly was great as well, however I'd prefer every other full album show over Philly. I've seen all the Ten songs too many times. Just my opinion.

Listening to both, Greenville had far more sustained volume from the crowd, plus Eddie's voice was way stronger in Greenville, but this is just a non-biased listener, and anyone calling the Greenville setlist weak, is an idiot, because since almost every Pearl Jam song is awesome, the difference is the quality that the band plays and the crowd energy, and Greenville is the longest sustained crowd volume I have ever heard on a boot, plus they played the long ass extended versions on all their jams
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    You shouldn't jude the crowd from the boots. The Lexington crowd sounds dead on the boot, but in reality it was crazy. Some shows they pick up the crowd more than others.

jmug23 said:

JG108535 said:

Listening to both, Greenville had far more sustained volume from the crowd, plus Eddie's voice was way stronger in Greenville, but this is just a non-biased listener, and anyone calling the Greenville setlist weak, is an idiot, because since almost every Pearl Jam song is awesome, the difference is the quality that the band plays and the crowd energy, and Greenville is the longest sustained crowd volume I have ever heard on a boot, plus they played the long ass extended versions on all their jams
    I totally agree. Crowd energy was insane and I loved the entire set list. I always find it funny when people stare a strong or weak set list as if it's an objective truth. It's all subjective and we all have different opinions on what songs we want to hear. I personally don't need to hear the super rare tracks to get excited. Just my opinion though.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    One annoying thing I have noticed in my 3 years being on this board is the desire for some having the need to have there show be the best while downplaying other shows on the tour that they didn't go to. I never understood this train of thought.
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 661
    edited June 2016
    jmug23 said:

JG108535 said:

I've seen most of 10 in my 18 other shows as well but not like that night.

02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ
    09SEP2024 - Philadelphia, PA
    12SEP2024 - Baltimore, MD

PJNB said:

One annoying thing I have noticed in my 3 years being on this board is the desire for some having the need to have there show be the best while downplaying other shows on the tour that they didn't go to. I never understood this train of thought.

I always think the same thing.
    PJNB said:

+100000000
    Art is subjective. To each their own.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,413
    PJNB said:

I agree..... people may share their opinion on whatever they want; but if you weren't at the show, how can you post negative comments about the show, or compare it objectively to a show you did attend?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited June 2016
    BF89905 said:

PJNB said:

I agree..... people may share their opinion on whatever they want; but if you weren't at the show, how can you post negative comments about the show, or compare it objectively to a show you did attend?
    Right. I would be perfectly fine never hearing Present Tense at a concert again but most people go nuts over Present Tense. Two people can go to the same show and disagree (see multiple threads about NYC shows this year).
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,623

BF89905 said:

PJNB said:

Right. I would be perfectly fine never hearing Present Tense at a concert again but most people go nuts over Present Tense. Two people can go to the same show and disagree (see multiple threads about NYC shows this year).

BF89905 said:

PJNB said:

Definitely all subjective based on personal preference. I love PT and thought the Greenville version was the best I've heard on a boot. I also think Why Go and Black on Philly 2 were intense as hell! Both shows are amazing to relive on the boot.

This band is just so damn good I can't get enough. I love listening to each boot and finding some new way they played a song, added some intensity or intricacy that was based on their emotions that night.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    While I love Vs more than ten, I love the fact that we got no Sirens, Future Days or Just Breathe because I can't stand any of them and Greenville got two of them. They kill the show to a certain extent for me. But what truly puts Philly ahead for me is the intro and the Release. That ripped me wide open and the emotion I experienced there just wasn't at the Greenville show, because that moment wasn't. I will forever be a little bitter that I wasn't there for Vs, but I'm super grateful to have been at the other 4. There is no way to equally compare them in a fair manner.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    edited June 2016
    The fact that they ditched Even Blow at Greenville puts it in the top spot for me and they actually played really fucking great versions of all the Lightning Bolt songs in Greenville, in fact they were on point the entire show, and the crowd's energy never waned during that LB run and like a wave kept building the whole night, the band is starting to really perfect some of the LB songs live, but play Father Son more that is a really great song
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    I'm bias because I was at Philly. Ten and Vs are pretty equal to me, but hearing everyone FREAK THE FUCK OUT for Even Flow as opposed to the usual stream of people heading to the restroom was pretty awesome. Then there was Release which was just a complete "you had to be there" moment, you could feel the emotion in Ed's speech and then in all of us while the song was playing. Then they follow it up with Breakerfall, which is a top 10 song for me, probably top 2 or 3 I needed to check off. Also the #1 and #2 covers that I wanted to check off my list in Philly were Sonic Reducer and Baba, so those back 2 back to back were huge for me.

With that being said Vs would be awesome too. I certainly wouldn't try to diminish the awesomeness of Greenville by saying Philly was better. But if I personally had the choice to trade Philly 2 for any other night of the tour, the only one I would even consider would be Toronto 1. Binaural is by far my favorite album, but there would be the trade off of crowed energy and the setlist after isn't really my cup of tea, except for Let Me Sleep, that would be awesome.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    I was fortunate enough to be at both. very close call. I've seen 26 shows and have seen some big ones (10th anniversary, state college, closing spectrum) and these 2 shows are both in my top 5 and maybe even 2 and 3. so hard to choose. Greenville crowd totally held their own to Philly (and im hometown Philly). The crowd in Greenville was loud and enthusiastic. i was impressed. Top to bottom I think Vs. works better live than 10 as a hole. That being said when Alive hit at song 3 and the whole building knew for sure at that moment we were getting 10 it was as an electric moment as i've ever had at a show. Release and the introduction was just an incredible moment. for me so hard to choose between the two. ordered the Philly boots and can't wait to listen to them. maybe something jumps out that sways it that way but man right now i can't choose.
    pjhawks said:

I was fortunate enough to be at both. very close call. I've seen 26 shows and have seen some big ones (10th anniversary, state college, closing spectrum) and these 2 shows are both in my top 5 and maybe even 2 and 3. so hard to choose. Greenville crowd totally held their own to Philly (and im hometown Philly). The crowd in Greenville was loud and enthusiastic. i was impressed. Top to bottom I think Vs. works better live than 10 as a hole. That being said when Alive hit at song 3 and the whole building knew for sure at that moment we were getting 10 it was as an electric moment as i've ever had at a show. Release and the introduction was just an incredible moment. for me so hard to choose between the two. ordered the Philly boots and can't wait to listen to them. maybe something jumps out that sways it that way but man right now i can't choose.

Sounds like both shows rocked:) actually sounds like every show this tour was insane. I honestly think you can't go wrong with this band. They simply bring it every night for 3+ hours and give it their all.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    jmug23 said:

pjhawks said:

Sounds like both shows rocked:) actually sounds like every show this tour was insane. I honestly think you can't go wrong with this band. They simply bring it every night for 3+ hours and give it their all.
    Bingo!
    Greenville Fluffers UNITE!!!!

Leash and Rats were great.

I was at both shows. GA for Greenville......never got any of the "amazing crowd energy" in Greenville that many speak of, in fact, I was surrounded by A LOT of people who were just there to be there, or, less than casual fans.

Good call on art being subjective.

In Greenville, the LB run after VS killed the momentum. (for me....easy guys, easy) Thought E1 and E2 were very standard....nothing special. Vs was played, very standard underwhelming show to follow.
    PJNB said:

Im an idiot! Yes!!!!
    PJNB said:

Def not a mine vs your show comparison....more a full album played comparison. Apologies for the annoyance.
    JG108535 said:

I was at both shows. GA for Greenville......never got any of the "amazing crowd energy" in Greenville that many speak of, in fact, I was surrounded by A LOT of people who were just there to be there, or, less than casual fans.

In Greenville, the LB run after VS killed the momentum. (for me....easy guys, easy) Thought E1 and E2 were very standard....nothing special. Vs was played, very standard underwhelming show to follow.

PJNB said:

Im an idiot! Yes!!!!
    PJNB said:

Def not a mine vs your show comparison....more a full album played comparison. Apologies for the annoyance.
    You must have been in a different GA than me, because it was rockin where I was on Stones side. People were going nuts when they realized what was going on. As far as lightning bolt killing the momentum; it definitely didn't for me. Love those songs. Maybe Philly is the only cool enough town where everyone in the building is a die hard fan and there are no "casual fans". Maybe I'll uproot my family from San Diego to be a part of the cool club in Philly. Ah, maybe not...:) just giving you a hard time:)
    jmug23 said:

JG108535 said:

PJNB said:

Im an idiot! Yes!!!!
    PJNB said:

You must have been in a different GA than me, because it was rockin where I was on Stones side. People were going nuts when they realized what was going on. As far as lightning bolt killing the momentum; it definitely didn't for me. Love those songs. Maybe Philly is the only cool enough town where everyone in the building is a die hard fan and there are no "casual fans". Maybe I'll uproot my family from San Diego to be a part of the cool club in Philly. Ah, maybe not...:) just giving you a hard time:)
    Ha! We were very near each other. I was on the rail directly in front of Stone. Totally agree about the crowd energy the entire night and the LB songs were so awesome! It was so fun to watch Stone during the Vs songs especially.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    @jmug23 ha! Just for the record, I am from neither Greenville or Philly! I appreciate the playful banter.....its so serious on this board sometimes!