For those who have downloaded the Lexington bootleg...

I just downloaded the Lexington bootleg (Non-HD FLAC files) and was curious to the opinions of others who have as well.

I think that the band's mix (vocals/instruments) sounds phenomenal. However, the crowd noise sounds like it was piped in...I felt like I was listening to a PJ equivalent of "Kiss Alive" or "Cheap Trick at Budokan". Not only does the applause between songs sound "fake" but there were many instances where the crowd sung the vocals and you can barely hear it, if at all (Animal, Why Go, Small Town, Daughter, etc...).

The last boot I downloaded was Gorge 2006, Night 1 (yes...that was some time ago) but the audience participation was captured with much more clarity and ambience.

Granted, Lexington was an arena as opposed to an open-air amphitheater like the Gorge. Nonetheless, I felt the lack of "real" audience noise took away from the overall feel of the recording.

Thoughts?
07/28/1992 - Cincinnati
07/11/1998 - Las Vegas
07/22/2006 - The Gorge
04/26/2016 - Lexington
08/08/2018 - Seattle
08/10/2018 - Seattle
08/20/2018 - Wrigley Field
04/02/2020 - Nashville
09/16/2022 - Nashville

Comments

• EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827

I just downloaded the Lexington bootleg (Non-HD FLAC files) and was curious to the opinions of others who have as well.

I think that the band's mix (vocals/instruments) sounds phenomenal. However, the crowd noise sounds like it was piped in...I felt like I was listening to a PJ equivalent of "Kiss Alive" or "Cheap Trick at Budokan". Not only does the applause between songs sound "fake" but there were many instances where the crowd sung the vocals and you can barely hear it, if at all (Animal, Why Go, Small Town, Daughter, etc...).

The last boot I downloaded was Gorge 2006, Night 1 (yes...that was some time ago) but the audience participation was captured with much more clarity and ambience.

Granted, Lexington was an arena as opposed to an open-air amphitheater like the Gorge. Nonetheless, I felt the lack of "real" audience noise took away from the overall feel of the recording.

Thoughts?

That's how it is on all the boots so far of this tour.
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Posts: 1,605
    I noticed the same thing... i myself like the crowd as LOUD as possible on the boots as it paints a clearer representation of the memory of being there... at least to me.
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Posts: 696
    Sound is fantastic. Mix is perfect.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023

I noticed the same thing... i myself like the crowd as LOUD as possible on the boots as it paints a clearer representation of the memory of being there... at least to me.

Couldn't agree more. It says a lot more about the show itself.
  • It's the same on earlier boots. Crowd sounds watery, like it was recorded at 44k or so. It's also faded up and down, unnecessarily.

Perhaps it's a reaction to blowing past bootlegs like the final Spectrum show or Columbia 08, where the crowd on the boot was nowhere near as loud as they were at the show, but that's an issue of micing the show better, not fading it up and down like the Euro festivals we see on Palladia all the time. At least those don't make the crowd sound like they're under water though.

It's cringe worthy, to say the least. If the crowd sounded as clear as they do in past boots, it would be far better. If they sounded as good as the Nugs one from the River Tour have so far, it would be nearly perfect. The crowd on those sound better than any I recall.

• evdjj3jevdjj3j Posts: 114
    I have noticed issues with the crowd mix also. They crowd is much louder in the mix early in the bootleg. Listen to Why Go then listen to Better Man. The crowd is really loud in Why Go but barely audible in Better Man when Ed lets the crowd sing the intro. I know it was much louder during Better Man than what is represented on the audio. Ed even comments during Better Man how "Fucking Great" the crowd singing is. I'd love to have the raw audio of that show.
  • evdjj3j said:

Listen to Why Go then listen to Better Man. The crowd is really loud in Why Go but barely audible in Better Man when Ed lets the crowd sing the intro. I know it was much louder during Better Man than what is represented on the audio. Ed even comments during Better Man how "Fucking Great" the crowd singing is. I'd love to have the raw audio of that show.

Excellent points...looks like I'm not the only one having the same thought process.

A fellow Ten Club member posted a link to some awesome video they took at the show. You definitely get a better sense of the crowd participation (for some reason, only Lightning Bolt plays on this particular link but a channel is setup that plays all 21 videos taken):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rsbTUD-A2w&index=1&list=PLOG00E0EhXkOSH4c7fJEAJRGeKisNNsYD
    07/28/1992 - Cincinnati
    07/11/1998 - Las Vegas
    07/22/2006 - The Gorge
    04/26/2016 - Lexington
    08/08/2018 - Seattle
    08/10/2018 - Seattle
    08/20/2018 - Wrigley Field
    04/02/2020 - Nashville
    09/16/2022 - Nashville
  • TL170678TL170678 Posts: 422

evdjj3j said:

Listen to Why Go then listen to Better Man. The crowd is really loud in Why Go but barely audible in Better Man when Ed lets the crowd sing the intro. I know it was much louder during Better Man than what is represented on the audio. Ed even comments during Better Man how "Fucking Great" the crowd singing is. I'd love to have the raw audio of that show.

Excellent points...looks like I'm not the only one having the same thought process.

A fellow Ten Club member posted a link to some awesome video they took at the show. You definitely get a better sense of the crowd participation (for some reason, only Lightning Bolt plays on this particular link but a channel is setup that plays all 21 videos taken):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rsbTUD-A2w&index=1&list=PLOG00E0EhXkOSH4c7fJEAJRGeKisNNsYD
    My friend and I noticed the same thing, maybe since the crowd was so loud in the building they had to adjust the volume to not drown out the band and it turned out iffy.... I don`t know... But that was the loudest arena I have seen PJ in.