Sperry Miami poster: use extra care when removing it from the tube.

sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774
edited May 2016 in The Porch
My Miami poster arrived safely yesterday! What a beauty - thank you Chuck Sperry and Ten Club.
And, due to the size of this very large poster, it's a very tight fit in the mailing tube and very difficult to remove without damaging it.
You know how you can usually wind the wrapping paper with your thumb and forefinger to tighten it up and slide the poster out of the tube? Well, because the poster is so tight in there, the very thin wrapping paper tore off leaving me only the actual poster to try and wind - not a good idea... I put a couple of small edge creases in mine before I retreated and planned another strategy. I ended up taking off both end caps and carefully tapped the poster with my palm from one end of the tube to the other while holding the tube vertically. After a few times of tapping the poster from one end of the tube to the other, I apparently tightened the poster up enough so I was able to carefully pull the poster out of the tube, while holding it horizontally.
Is anyone else having this issue with their Miami poster? If so, relax and don't rush. This poster is too beautiful to f*&@ up!
Good luck!
Post edited by shecky on

Comments

• EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Guess I got lucky, mine came out without any issues, and very easy.
  • sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774
    Glad to hear that!
    I had a real difficult time with mine and figured that others might as well.
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    I didn't get the Sperry, but in the past I've had to do the tube tap and it works every time.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited May 2016
    PP193448 said:

I didn't get the Sperry, but in the past I've had to do the tube tap and it works every time.

as in, remove the secondary cap and tap? right? should never battle the tube... it will win
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • ReleaseMeReleaseMe Posts: 745
    This reminds me of the merch situation in Miami, people in a rush it seems - gorilla hands crazing rolling and attempting to put in a tube... I wouldn't be surprised if some of those people damaged the poster as they were attempting to place it in the tube
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • sheckyshecky Posts: 1,774
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. Ideally, a large poster like that should have at least a 3" diameter tube (like Sperry and Emek use when you buy from them). But I don't fault Ten Club for not stocking multiple sizes of tubes - it's not practical. I actually was amazed that my poster wasn't damaged when they rolled it so tight.
    The only damage, albeit very minor, was done by me while extracting it from the tube.
    What a great poster it is, too. Every time I look at it, it gets more beautiful! I think I'm in love...