SUVs- Pilot VS Highlander VS Traverse

SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 370
edited May 2016 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone a dealer or salesman or have a good opinion on SUVs?

We are looking at the EX-L Pilot, LE Plus Highlander, and the 1LT Traverse. Basically we love the Pilot but it is currently more than we want to spend. We really dislike the fabric on the EX Pilot, otherwise that would be a great option.
The LE Plus is a great alternative- like the fabric. We just like the way the interior of the Pilot looks better. We also like how the Pilot comes standard with remote start.
The Traverse is the money saving option. We joke that the Traverse is like the Spirit Airlines of cars- it will get you there safely and for cheap, but dang is it not pretty.

Thoughts? Should we wait until Aug/Sept and hope Honda or Toyota come out with discounts? Or is that never going to happen?
Post edited by SteffyLou on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I don't care for SUVs but I can suggest trying what I did about a year and a half ago to get the car I wanted. Too expensive new, I bought one that was 2 years old from the dealership at a significantly cheaper price and got exactly the features I wanted. They didn't have a vehicle available but bought one from a dealership in another state and brought it in for me to try. They went by the parameters I gave them (no more than 3 years old, less than 30K miles) and I wasn't obligated to buy it. It was also still under warranty. So I got what I wanted and didn't spend an obscene amount of $$.

If you want a new car, there are also car buying services that can get you a better deal than you can on your own. I recommend subscribing to Consumer Reports--they have that service. So does my insurance company, USAA, and I'd guess other insurers do too. I'm told that Costco also has it. Any of those will get you the same deal and they'll also do a nationwide search to find what you're looking for. They can also help find you a used car but they do better deals on new ones. Consumer Reports is worth an online subscription even if you don't use them to buy your car. They have a wealth of information about cars and just anything else you want to buy.

Good luck! Car buying is a pain in the ass but it's nice to get new wheels. :smiley:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Traverse is very similar to Equinox and that one blows...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • GummiBeerGummiBeer Posts: 189
    With working in the Automotive industry, I would say the Honda is your choice. The Highlander has it own platform that is only shared with one Lexus model, which make parts and service pricy. Any GM product is sub-par on quality if your keeping it past warranty run-out.
    The Honda Pilot shares the platform with 2 acura models and also the ridgeline, all common SUV/Trucks. that makes parts cheaper and easier to achieve, Honda is Reliable, and always has been
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Speaking as a mechanic in the motor city where buying foreign is still frowned upon, GET THE HONDA and don't look back.. My mother just bought the CRV, loves it! Honda is way more durable than any American car, hands down..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I've owned Toyota and Honda. Both good brands but the Hondas have been superior.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 370
    Great feedback! This is what I was hoping to hear posting on hear!